Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Not Just Another Day In Pattaya

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Re: Not Just Another Day In Pattaya

Quote Originally Posted by dinagam View Post
    The wrath of God is undoubtedly very terrifying for the Muslim haters of the USA and Germany whereas the pacifist Thais are being spared much hardship.
    As are the majority of Muslim countries.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

2. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (September 3rd, 2021)

Liked

I've experienced a few floods in Pattaya. A river in Soi VC that threatened to come over the steps of Nice Boys. A torrent, inches high running down the main drag of Jomtien Complex, flooding so bad that Boyztown was ungettoable. These floods have always been tremendous fun which wouldn't be the case at all if I lived there.

Liked

I remember being caught in a flood when I was enjoying an evening in Krazy Dragon.

I heard a commotion outside and went out to see what was going on, only to find water lapping at the door. I waited for half an hour but it just got worse. I thouggt I'd be spending the night in the bar with the guys. (What a horrible predicament! Lol).

I ended up walking back to the Ambiance Hotel in water up to my knees. My only worry was the amount of sewage I was wading through! Yuk!!!

I spent a loooong time scrubbing my legs in the shower.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

My memories of Pattaya floods include watching two guys catch a fish outside Funny Boys. I don't know whether they were brave enough to eat it. And the bizarre experience of being caught by a flood while we were in Central. Beach Road was was out of action under more than a foot of water.

P had the bright idea of trying to escape via the Second Road entrance, running back to tell me that the water was manageable there....and that taxis were available.

Ten minutes later, we were in Boyztown and it was bone -dry.

The vagaries of Pattaya weather. How I miss it!

6. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (September 3rd, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Undersize pipes???
    Surely you haven’t forgotten this already?
    https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showt...light=Boyztown
    Reminder...

8. 4 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (September 3rd, 2021), christianpfc (September 3rd, 2021), dab69 (September 4th, 2021), Dodger (September 4th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    Undersize pipes???
    I haven't forgotten that. Those pipes are probably adequate for draining Boyztown and a small section of second road. The next two streets have something similar.

However, if we're designing a drainage system to prevent floods in ALL of South Pattaya and if we make the assumption that gravity requires the drains to flow to the sea, in the event of extreme rain, then by the time we get to this part of town, they would need some major drains, several metres in diameter. That's because they are moving water from further inland.

The photos of flooding and occasional reports of one new drainage system merely moving the water to flood another area seems to be proof that they don't have any suitably sized drainage for storms.

I presume it can't be that difficult to consider worst case flood depths and take into account the duration of rain to get that, which gives us a volume ow water per hour to be drained off. Then calculate the required size of drains and holding ponds to deal with that, plus a safety margin. Civil Engineers specializing in drainage ought to be all over that, otherwise there is no point in having experts.

10. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (September 4th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    Undersize pipes???
    https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showt...light=Boyztown
    Reminder...
    Are they the 4 inch plastic pipes that Dodger recently reported that were being used for drains?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Are they the 4 inch plastic pipes that Dodger recently reported that were being used for drains?
    I would have thought the smaller drains ought to flow into something like this. Then they might stand a chance of avoiding regular deep floods.

Drain.jpg

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    Then calculate the required size of drains and holding ponds to deal with that, plus a safety margin. Civil Engineers specializing in drainage ought to be all over that, otherwise there is no point in having experts.
    And your expert qualifications are ..................?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by dinagam View Post

The wrath of God is undoubtedly very terrifying for the Muslim haters of the USA and Germany whereas the pacifist Thais are being spared much hardship.
    Huh?

15. User who gave Like to post:

Ruthrieston (September 4th, 2021)