FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "We don't know if we will survive" say Thai Sex Workers in Chonburi

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

"We don't know if we will survive" say Thai Sex Workers in Chonburi

Today, the Walking Street of Pattaya City in coastal Chonburi is no longer a place of entertainment and opportunities. Night entertainment venues that had provided jobs for many sex workers are shut. There are no bright neon lights at night and no pumping music. Tourists have vanished since last year when the COVID-19 pandemic hit Thailand.

“It’s so depressing,” said Anna, who is known along the Walking Street by her moniker.

“Nowadays, by 6 pm, Pattaya looks like an abandoned city. There is hardly any sign of life on the Walking Street. This makes me want to cry. This place used to generate income and build the future for so many people.”

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia...arving-2108501

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: "We don't know if we will survive" say Thai Sex Workers in Chonburi

Brad,

Walking Street has been closed for 6 months.

Liked

Exactly! The article is from 14 Aug 2021, whoever is still in Pattaya hoping for situation to improve soon is a slow learner.

"We don't know if we will survive" is a bit dramatic. It's not a question of life or death, rather: No more party every night, no new mobile phone every year (or even more frequently). Go home and sit it out, or rather look for other sources of income.

I realized in July 2020 that the situation won't get back to normal any soon, and took measures accordingly.

4. 3 Users gave Like to post:

gerefan2 (August 16th, 2021), goji (August 16th, 2021), splinter1949 (August 16th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    Go home and sit it out, or rather look for other sources of income.

I realized in July 2020 that the situation won't get back to normal any soon, and took measures accordingly.
    Oh how wise you were, Christian! Well done!

But you seem to forget that you clearly had quite a bit of money in your pockets and in your bank account for I am certain you are not working to make money stuck in Cambodia. With many millions out of work and others restricted to minimal part time work in Thailand, your advice to sex workers is more than naive. How do you suggest a sex worker finds "another source of income"? Growing vegetables for people who cannot pay for them? Then what happens when their money runs out, if it has not already done so? Don't you have any clue about what is going on in Thailand?

6. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Dax (August 23rd, 2021), francois (August 16th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Armando View Post

But you seem to forget that you clearly had quite a bit of money in your pockets and in your bank account for I am certain you are not working to make money stuck in Cambodia. With many millions out of work and others restricted to minimal part time work in Thailand, your advice to sex workers is more than naive. How do you suggest a sex worker finds "another source of income"? Growing vegetables for people who cannot pay for them? Then what happens when their money runs out, if it has not already done so? Don't you have any clue about what is going on in Thailand?
    This is all a bit harsh. Everyone makes choices in life. I am tired of everyone saying the sex workers have no other option in life. That is pure bs. Do I feel sorry for the sex workers who have suddenly lost their income? Of course, I do - I am as compassionate a person as the next guy. However, life must go on. Millions of Thai's lost everything they had in '97 during the Global Financial crisis. Instead of just wallowing in self-pity, they found another way to make money and get back in the game of life again. Many sex workers had life great for years. They saved little and partied like there was no tomorrow. That is on them. I have a beautiful niece who works her ass off (no, not as a sex worker) and saves 70% of what she makes every month. She is 100% Thai - from Essan, went to Bangkok on her own and found a job 7 years ago and has not looked back. She is not influenced by me or my money. But, if she lost her job tomorrow, she is not going to cry because of it. She has been saving for just an eventuality. She is also the first to tell me that there are plenty of jobs out there, even during the pandemic, but many people don't want them. My brother-in-law has worked his ass off in a factory for 30 years. To make a statement like 'how do you suggest a sex worker find another source of income' is a slap in the face to the many thousands of Thai's who have found other ways to make a baht. Again, we all make choices. I find nothing wrong with a sex worker's choice of career. However, there are no clients right now. As Christian states, that is obvious. It is time to look for other sources of income - it's been well over a year already. The money is out there if the desire is there. For most, however, there is no desire to do so.

8. 3 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (August 16th, 2021), Moggy (August 16th, 2021), mr giggles (August 18th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by kkjason View Post
    This is all a bit harsh. Everyone makes choices in life. I am tired of everyone saying the sex workers have no other option in life. That is pure bs.
    You suggest that there are plenty of jobs out there for those who want them. With respect that has to be absolute bs! According to the World Bank tourism in Thailand generated US$100 billion in 2018. Withdraw a vast amount of that and inevitably Thailand is going through a major economic crisis.

Approx. 6 million Thais worked directly in the tourism industry. A large percentage of these Thais are out of work and there is no work available for others in their businesses. Indirect employment? I have no idea, but having seen the number of shops closed in Bangkok, on videos posted on this site and spoken to friends in different parts of the country, it is perfectly obvious that a great many other jobs have disappeared. So if there are several million out there looking for work, Iam sure those sex workers whose jobs have all but disappeared and whose eduction level is likely to be pretty low would love to hear from your niece where they are going to find jobs? If she is so sure, perhaps she could make her billions by setting up an employment agency. But the fact is that in August 2021 those jobs are a mirage. A fiction. They don't exist.

The comparison between 1997 and 2001 is also not comparable. The situation is now "far worse" compared to various analysts and experts -

Thailand is in the midst of the greatest financial and economic crisis in modern times.

Bank of Thailand Governor Sethaput Suthiwartnarueput was already on record even before the current outbreak took off in mid-June, as indicating that this crisis, because of its prolonged nature and continued uncertainty, represents a bigger one than the Financial Crisis of 1997.

The situation for the domestic economy is made even worse by the continued growth in household and, on a wider scale, private sector debt which the central bank now regards as its greatest priority
    https://trusteer.secure.force.com/PK...alling-Rapport

Liked

Wise words,Armando; agree completely with what you posted.

Liked

But you seem to forget that you clearly had quite a bit of money in your pockets and in your bank account...

How do you suggest a sex worker finds "another source of income"? Growing vegetables for people who cannot pay for them? Then what happens when their money runs out, if it has not already done so? Don't you have any clue about what is going on in Thailand?
    You are right that I live a comfortable life due to my parents' money.

Thailand is largely an agrarian economy. I guess every boy has a family back in the provinces who farm land. In fact, one of my favorites sent pictures of him farming rice, and a boy I met in Phnom Penh but who is now home in Battambang sent pictures of him harvesting corn/maize. Both of them would rather be in Pattaya or Phnom Penh, but they would not be able to sustain that lifestyle (no job, no income to pay for rent and food). Home in the province, there is no rent to pay and they can get part of their food from farming.

I'm not in Thailand, so I don't have first-hand impressions. But I stay in contact with Thai friends (the one who constantly whines about money problems did so already before Covid). And I see what's going on in Cambodia, and everyone is doing fine, according to the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    Many young people have no experience in handling money as they never had any. Suddenly they found themselves with lots and so like many people their age, they went out and partied. Also they did not have anyone at home who had experience in handling money and who could give them some advice.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_An...he_Grasshopper
    The fable concerns a grasshopper (in the original, a cicada) that has spent the summer singing while the ant (or ants in some versions) worked to store up food for winter. When that season arrives, the grasshopper finds itself dying of hunger and begs the ant for food. However, the ant rebukes its idleness and tells it to dance the winter away now.
    In my early years I gave unsolicited financial advice to boys, in vain. I have helped many a boy with money and advice; but if you don't take my advice, I won't give you money either.

12. User who gave Like to post:

mr giggles (August 18th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    Thailand is largely an agrarian economy. I guess every boy has a family back in the provinces who farm land. In fact, one of my favorites sent pictures of him farming rice, and a boy I met in Phnom Penh but who is now home in Battambang sent pictures of him harvesting corn/maize. Both of them would rather in Pattaya or Phnom Penh, but they would not be able to sustain that lifestyle (no job, no income to pay for rent and food).
    Based on what I see in the UK, coming from an agricultural background isn't necessarily a barrier to achievement.

1 Farmers who know how to farm can make make good money. Those who don't know how to farm struggle, but why should incompetence be rewarded ?
    2 I've seen offspring of farmers go to University and set up technology businesses, ending up with net worth of several millions.

To what extent Thailand offers opportunity like this is another question. However, in a pandemic, going back home to the farm is a nice safe base, with food and a home. Also, even in Cambodia, I see rice harvesting with machines now, so it's not quite the same backbreaking job as it once was.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    Based on what I see in the UK, coming from an agricultural background isn't necessarily a barrier to achievement.

1 Farmers who know how to farm can make make good money. Those who don't know how to farm struggle, but why should incompetence be rewarded ?
    2 I've seen offspring of farmers go to University and set up technology businesses, ending up with net worth of several millions.

To what extent Thailand offers opportunity like this is another question. However, in a pandemic, going back home to the farm is a nice safe base, with food and a home. Also, even in Cambodia, I see rice harvesting with machines now, so it's not quite the same backbreaking job as it once was.
    Do you really believe that farmers and others in Thailand/Cambodia/Laos have it so good? I know a person in Laos who has only a mother who can barely exist and his salary is 3000/month; another one in Laos, whose father is incapacitated (no mom) and needs money from his son who now has no job; and one in Thailand who is living with his boyfriend and whose father just died. Not a rosy picture to say the least.

15. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Armando (August 17th, 2021), Ruthrieston (August 17th, 2021)