Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't Thailand do this? Digital nomad VISA

Liked

Why doesn't Thailand do this? Digital nomad VISA

Here, look at this:
    https://govisafree.com/malta-digital-nomad-visa/

Be a non-EU citizen, prove contracts worth 2700 EUR/month, lease agreement, and medical insurance. Good to go, here's your 1 year residency VISA, renewable each year. After a while, they'll help you get a EU passport if you desire one.

That seems so simple and straight forward compared to Thailand. Why doesn't Thailand do that? They're missing out.

2. User who gave Like to post:

mr giggles (August 2nd, 2021)

Liked

Re: Why doesn't Thailand do this? Digital nomal VISA

"prove contracts worth 2700 EUR/month" but don't digital nomads often freelance, or income varies from one month to another? And what about early retirees?

Thailand loses out on a lot of people because she doesn't have a suitable visa. E.g. I: under 50 (no retirement visa), not married (no marriage visa), not working (no work visa), all I can do is to weasel through with tourist visas which worked before Covid, but is not viable now.

Since the start of Covid, I spent 16 months out of Thailand, which I could have spent in Thailand if there had been a suitable visa for me. Many people I talked with in Cambodia spent years in Thailand, but got fed up with their visa and work regulations. (I have friends in Taiwan and Philippines for who the same applies).

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    she
    I object to this pronoun in more ways than one.

Back to the thread!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    "prove contracts worth 2700 EUR/month" but don't digital nomads often freelance, or income varies from one month to another

I can't speak for others, but first, especially accelerated thanks to Covid, there's tons and tons of long-term remote contracts available out there. I don't generally take on clients that are going to be less than 6 months.

Every client worth their salt is going to require me to sign a contractor's agreement with them. I also require everyone to sign a client services agreement with me, and if they're unwilling to, I wish them a good day. It's a worker's market out there right now, so if I don't like one client, I can just move onto the next without issue. You're right, income varies month by month, but regardless, proving 2700 EUR/month isn't going to be an issue.

As for Thailand, I know what you mean, and have been complaining about thiss for years. For example, Chaign Mai is somewhat known to be an unofficial tech hub, but it's kind of all underground because everyone has to screw around with tourist VISAs, maybe get an education VISA and say they're learning Thai, etc.

I don't understand why Thailand doesn't just make a few rule changes, and transform Chiang Mai into an actual world recognized tech hub. They could so easily do that, and they just don't seem to give a shit.

Liked

Whatever a "Digital nomal VISA" is (sic), I imagine it's targeted at educated literate people.

7. User who gave Like to post:

gerefan2 (August 3rd, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    Whatever a "Digital nomal VISA" is (sic), I imagine it's targeted at educated literate people.
    Or maybe people with screen readers that don’t make constant spelling mistakes??!

9. User who gave Like to post:

goji (August 3rd, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    Or maybe people with screen readers that don’t make constant spelling mistakes??!
    Some of you have yourselves worked up into such a delusion, it's just stupid now.

A screen reader that doesn't make spelling mistakes, eh? Do you even hear yourself? It's a screen READER, keyword there being reader. It doesn't write.

11. User who gave Like to post:

gerefan2 (August 3rd, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

But it does read back what is (mis)typed....

Liked

But it does read back what is (mis)typed....
    If I have it read back to me, yes. I'm posting on SGT though, not writing a thesis that will be published.

Liked

Hilarious

Meanwhile, when an actual Digital Nomad tries coding, all it needs is one wrong digit to b*gger it all up.