Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cambodia during the pandemic

Liked

Re: Cambodia during the pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    As I see it, Covid is a hyped annual flue. No danger for the majority of the population, only for some at-risk groups.
    Well that was the case with the original alpha variant.

But delta affects people of all ages, including children and comorbidity isn't always a feature. And who knows what future variants will do? Who knows? A very dangerous Cambodian variant could suddenly appear!

Be careful!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    But delta affects people of all ages, including children and co-morbidity isn't always a feature.
    The death rate amongst the under 50s is still very low, even with the delta variant. The Guardian and the BBC can always find some scare stories, but ignore those and look at the statistics. The risk is tiny for people in these age groups and the sensible ones know it.

After vaccination, the odds for all age groups improve considerably. Who knows what future variants will do, but I wouldn't sit here worrying about the unknowable.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    The Guardian and the BBC can always find some scare stories, but ignore those and look at the statistics.
    I guess Fox News is your source of information on the Covid pandemic.

4. 2 Users gave Like to post:

mr giggles (August 3rd, 2021), Ruthrieston (August 3rd, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Uranus View Post
    I guess Fox News is your source of information on the Covid pandemic.
    I check the data, since the average journalist cannot be relied upon to report accurately.
    For the most recent month with a set of ONS data,(June 2021), Covid is not even in the top 10 for causes of death in England & Wales.

Also, since the start of the pandemic, the number of deaths within 28 days of a positive test in England & Wales are (for example)
    Male 20~24: 39
    Male 70-74: 7028

The 20~24 year old death rate is just over 0.5 deaths per week. That's deaths within 28 days of a covid test, so other causes of death are included within this stat.
    Actually, the only person I knew who has died of covid was in his 80s, on his death bed anyway and caught covid in one of our hospitals. But he's counted as a covid death.

Also, the 0.5 deaths per week in the 20~24 year old group is mostly pre-vaccination. Once the vaccine effect kicks in, it's probably going to be under a tenth of that.
    Being a few years past 50, I'm not worried about my chances of death post vaccination.
    Those under 30 & in good health shouldn't be worried pre or post vaccination.

6. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (August 4th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I wonder if those visa extensions for those "unable to return home" work when you went from your home country to Thailand for a holiday and want to extend it. Last year, extension of extension (???) was only announced a few days before the current extension expired. I would not want to be in the country and counting days until my permission to stay expires, waiting for an announcement of a new extension and having to leave in a hurry or overstay if there is no new extension. And I wouldn't like going to immigration every time.
    I got one of those Visa Extensions in March. Just filled in the form (they ticked off “No flight available”), even though there were!

Took a few visits to Immigration as I applied in good time and they only gave it in chunks. I eventually got 60 days. I believe they are still doing it...

8. User who gave Like to post:

goji (August 3rd, 2021)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

I tested positive last year without symptoms. As I see it, Covid is a hyped annual flue. No danger for the majority of the population, only for some at-risk groups.
    Hmmm, so how many people do you think you’ve infected with the virus and just think how many they have infected! But if I read you right you think no big deal.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

10. User who gave Like to post:

francois (August 3rd, 2021)

Liked

12. 2 Users gave Like to post:

goji (August 5th, 2021), splinter1949 (August 5th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    Also, since the start of the pandemic
    That's the point. Those numbers don't mean a thing with the new variants in play.

Liked

Obesity is an underlying condition. Thailand also recognizes it as such.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by vnman View Post
    Obesity is an underlying condition. Thailand also recognizes it as such.
    In most cases, it's a voluntary & self inflicted condition.

Anyone who thinks otherwise should ask themselves if the sudden increase in obesity in recent decades is due to either:
    (i) A sudden change in the gene pool in the last 50 years, after thousands of years of slow evolution
    OR
    (ii) People eating too much trashy food and exercising less