Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Dogs - New Tricks

Liked

Re: Old Dogs - New Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Good luck finding one that's current.
    I'm not the one that needs to find it - you are the one making the claim, and your admission of a lack of supporting studies doesn't do much to help your argument regardless of how respected your family Nutritionist is !

Clinical sudies involving probiotics and covid still underway and/or under peer review ay University of Colorado in the U.S. Conclusive results show Probiotics benefitial, specifically Lactobacillus acidophilus, at boosting immune system and helping to prevent covid
    and when the study is completed and is peer reviewed I would be interested to see the results, the hard part may be deciding how to extrapolate the results of a clinical trial using a controlled dose of a specific probiotic bacteria or even one or more specific commercial probiotic supplements to the results to be expected from any one of a number of commercial probiotic supplements available off the shelf - all of varying quality and content

I am not trying to prove you wrong, or claim you have made a wrong personal choice but supplements - probiotic or otherwise - can be expensive and can be of varying quality and efficacy and I don't think presenting "facts" like "Probiotics have been proven to be the number 1 supplement for boosting the immune system and protecting against covid and other virus’s." is particularly helpful for others trying to make an informed decision - particularly the reference to Covid in the current circumstances!

but enough proselytizing from me - people can and will make their own decisions!
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

2. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (July 31st, 2021), francois (July 30th, 2021)

Liked

Probiotics have been proven to be the number 1 supplement for boosting the immune system and protecting against covid and other virus’s
    If that proof is a double blind trial, with probiotics and a placebo, combined with either PCR testing or measurement of covid death rates in both the placebo and probiotic groups, conducted independently of the probiotic manufacturer and then peer reviewed, I shall have no problem in accepting the proof. A link would be appreciated.

There are lots of claims made about gut bacteria.

Whilst a lot of them may well be true, the current evidence suggests experts don't even know how to solve direct digestive issues ranging from flatulence to more severe gut issues, never mind the indirect effects on the rest of the body.
    More interesting reading on treatment options....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal_...ota_transplant

Regarding other factors which MIGHT affect covid resistance, try vitamin D: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...ort=objectonly

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

A recent article on the topic in Popular Science states:

Studies on probiotics are all over the place. They might use different probiotic strains, doses, or treatment regimens. That makes it difficult to compare results or pool together the data from many studies and analyze them as a whole, a technique that provides a much higher level of evidence than a single study alone.
    Research on the effects of probiotics on everything from mood, constipation, and immune function come back with inconsistent or low-quality results. “The evidence for probiotics in particular is very circumstantial and weak,” Chang says. This inconsistency in data reflects how much more we have to learn about how probiotics would even work, Chang says.
    Alternatively you could trust a forum member, who says he has it on good authority from a family member that:

Probiotics have been proven to be the number 1 supplement for boosting the immune system and protecting against covid and other virus’s.

https://www.popsci.com/science/do-probiotics-work/

5. 2 Users gave Like to post:

cdnmatt (July 31st, 2021), mr giggles (July 31st, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

After reading some of the responses above, I want you to know that your questions regarding probiotics are valid.

I'm not anywhere close to being an expert in this field, but know and trust people who are.

If you are concerned about the lack of clinical evidence regading "Probiotics" then by-all-means don't take them.

The important point that I hope all of you are not missing, is the importance of maintaining and/or boosting your immune systems going forward...because it's never been as important as it is right now.

As an example - here's what I do:

Daily Exercise 1-1/2 hrs/day (includes 1 klm run in mornings)
    Resistence Workout (weight lifting): 3 hours per session X 3 sessions/week
    Swimming/daily

Daily Health Supplements:
    Whey Protein (72 gr after workouts)
    Puritan Pride Probiotic-10 (20 million cells)
    Fish Oil w/Omega-3 (2,000 mg )
    Dr. Linus Pauling Multi Vitamins (highly recommended)

I also consume Pumpkin Seed Extract and Saw Palmeto daily to prevent prostate problems.

Everything I've done regarding my health for the past 50 years has been "Preventative".

All of the above were recommended to me by the same family member I referenced earier, and, knock on wood, has kept me healthy so far. The last time I was sick (from anything) was when I contacted the flu during our hockey teams last game of the season in 1972. Since then I have not even had a nose snivel. I credit the acidoplulis (probiotic) I was taking for preventing any cases of diarea, urinary track infections, stomach problems, etc. as well as contributing to my strong immune system.

It would be intersting to know what you've been doing to maintain your health and build your immune system.

The more ideas we share with members - the better it is for all of us.

7. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (August 2nd, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Probiotics and Covid (Interesting reading)

Highlights from Technical Review article:

Probiotics, prebiotics and dietary approaches during COVID-19 pandemic

Highlights of Review:

- SARS-CoV-2 infection resulted in immune dysfunction and gut microbiota alterations.
    - Probiotics or prebiotics could improve host immune functions during the infection.
    - Enhance gut barrier by diversified diet was recommended during COVID-19 pandemic.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...treatment.aspx

Another helpful source:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...24224420307214

Liked

Dodger asked.
    "It would be intersting to know what you've been doing to maintain your health..."

Well until recently I was holidaying in Thailand 3 times a year, going with lots of gorgeous boys, enjoying fabulous al fresco dining, riding a Honda Click through villages and along coastal roads and generally living like a hedonistic emperor. That all made me feel in great health.

10. 5 Users gave Like to post:

Aux1010 (August 2nd, 2021), Dodger (July 31st, 2021), francois (July 31st, 2021), Khor tose (August 1st, 2021), Oliver2 (July 31st, 2021)

Liked

Some people are just lucky enough to be born with a strong immune system and I appear to be one of them. (fingers crossed!)

Apart from the odd cold and once getting food poisoning (at the buffet in Laos airport), I've never been sick.

I even lived with a family in Germany for 5 weeks where the baby got swine flu and I didn't catch it, despite holding and kissing him every day. Other family members, however, caught the virus from him.

Go figure!

My diet is far from healthy, consisting of lots of cakes, biscuits, icecream, chocolate, chocolate icecream (!) and heaps of very spicy Asian food.

Is it in the genes, I wonder?

12. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (July 31st, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post

My diet is far from healthy, consisting of lots of cakes, biscuits, icecream, chocolate, chocolate icecream (!) and heaps of very spicy Asian food.

Is it in the genes, I wonder?
    Very likely - you're fortunate.

I was watching the Olympic's on TV with Jai last night and indulged myself with my favorite half-time treat: A fudge brownie with chocolate icing from our local bakery - topped with 2 scoops of chocolate chip ice cream and Hershey's chocolate syrup. Jai just looked at me like I was crazy...LOL

Now you know why I have to exercise so much.

14. User who gave Like to post:

Ruthrieston (August 1st, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    Dodger asked.
    "It would be intersting to know what you've been doing to maintain your health..."

Well until recently I was holidaying in Thailand 3 times a year, going with lots of gorgeous boys, enjoying fabulous al fresco dining, riding a Honda Click through villages and along coastal roads and generally living like a hedonistic emperor. That all made me feel in great health.
    Enjoying life is the best recipe for boosting your immune system.

16. 4 Users gave Like to post:

Armando (August 2nd, 2021), arsenal (August 1st, 2021), Dodger (August 1st, 2021), siscu58 (August 1st, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Uranus View Post

Enjoying life is the best recipe for boosting your immune system.
    I couldn't agree more, but the problem is a lot of people aren't actually enjoying life right now.

Just look at the majority of members here who are stressed over not being able to return to Thailand...having lockdowns and other challenges on their home turf...and can't even walk down to the local pub for a beer, let alone get a piece of ass. What is there to enjoy?