Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: The human cost

Forum's veteran
    Liked

The human cost

P was friendly with an elderly woman who used to sell shirts opposite Big C in Pattaya Second . He used to meet her on the Pattaya bus to the DMC temple in Bangkok. He was fond of Big C's Japanese restaurant (followed by a durian ice -cream in Swensen's- which I avoided) and he'd always buy a present for her in that Thai cultural shop at the entrance.

Three years ago, she was visibly unwell. Alarmingly thin. Apparently, she was awaiting an operation for a stomach condition.

P talked to her for a long time, ten minutes or more; compassionately, quietly, gently. I don't know what he said- probably something about meditation; the DMC TV Channel had helped him enormously in 2009 when he was seriously ill.

I was aware of the gratitude in her eyes and the kindness in his tone. And I understood, not for the first time, why I loved him.

The next trip we saw her again. That was eighteen months ago. She was much better. And she still got her present!

Today, P told me that she was a victim of Covid. Her last months had been poverty-stricken (she had always relied on a daughter; her stall had never been a success). And then, the virus struck.

When we see the statistics, whether they be Chonburi's or Thailand's, they are exactly that; numbers. P today reminded me of the individual tragedies which are now affecting people we know.

2. 17 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (July 23rd, 2021), Aux1010 (July 24th, 2021), BenCH (July 24th, 2021), billyhouston (July 24th, 2021), Blueskytoday (July 23rd, 2021), catawampuscat (July 28th, 2021), dab69 (July 27th, 2021), Dax (July 25th, 2021), Dodger (July 23rd, 2021), francois (July 23rd, 2021), goji (July 25th, 2021), lukylok (July 25th, 2021), Manforallseasons (July 23rd, 2021), Ruthrieston (July 24th, 2021), splinter1949 (July 24th, 2021), TaoR (July 23rd, 2021), vnman (July 25th, 2021)

Liked

Re: The human cost

Good post Oliver to highlight the tragedy that is happening to so many.

4. User who gave Like to post:

catawampuscat (July 28th, 2021)