Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I miss

Liked

Re: I miss

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    A Christmas that once was: https://youtu.be/ABzvpoRkuh4
    Great videos, Moses and Manforallseasons, thanks for posting and thanks for the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    More Great Memories!

I spotted myself sitting between Sa and Santa on the Christmas Eve 2011 video @ counter 0:16/ 2:48.
    Dodger you are a very handsome man
    Totally agree, Kenny, our Dodger is a very handsum man. He stopped to chat to another Sawatdee member at our table in a bar in Sunee Plaza one night, but I was not made aware of his identity until he had left the company and walked off in search of . . .
    Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

2. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (July 6th, 2021), Kenny (July 5th, 2021)

Liked

In all seriousness, I miss the sense of community. Although my first house in Khon Kaen was by far the worst (only 4500 baht/month for 2 storey, 4 bdrm, 2 bath), it's the one I miss the most. For any of you who have been up in Issan, I'm sure you'll know those subdivisions that are somewhat like Western version of townhouses, except every house is designed and architected differently. Nonetheless, you share walls with your neighbors.

That's what I miss. I miss heading out to the local night market to grab myself and the dogs some grub, but as per-usual I pop over to a few of the neighbors and ask if they need anything. Many times my one neighbor or two of them will say they want some "nam dtaap" for their dogs as well, so I'm happy to pick it up for them.

Upon returning from the market, I notice the neighbor on the other side of me hanging out on the street in the box of his pickup having a beer with other neighbors. Sure enough, they invite me to join them. So I hand over the food my neighbors requested, get my dogs some drub in them, and head over for a beer.

Just simple shit like that, which simply does not exist in Canada anymore. Everything here has to be scheduled. There is no the neighbor is hanging out infront of his house having a beer, so let's go for a chat. Instead here it's, "ok, Thursday at 4pm let's get together for a beer, sounds good". That's jsut sad in my eyes.

Or other things like I remember how Kim's mom would live with us on and off. One time she ended up setting up a "gwaii-tiao" stall / restaurant on the corner. For those who don't know, "gwaai-tiao" is basically pork noodle soup, and if you've been to Thailand a good amount, I'm sure you've had it.

Anyway, there was a gravel lot at the corner of our street, so she figured out who the owner is and rented it off them on a monthly basis. I can't even remember, but I would imagine I invested into her little restaurant, but nonetheless she was all setup with tables, chairs, one of those cooking stalls on wheels to make the soup, dishes and utensils, and everything else. Every monring she would wake up, pack all the tables and chairs over to the street corner along with the kichen on wheels thing, and setup shop.

I'd be hanging out in my home office upstairs working, and Kim would show up in my room saying it's time for lunch, grab me and we'd head over to our little "gwaai-tiao" restaurant on the corner. All depending on the week, sometimes Kim's little brother would be staying with us as well, milling around doing his thing.

That type of thing is just so nice for me, and so humane, and so normal. Here in Canada you can't just drop a quick $500 and setup a restaurant on the corner of your subdivision in a day. It just doesn't work like that.

And tons of things like that, but yeah, sense of community is what I miss the most.

4. 6 Users gave Like to post:

Dax (July 8th, 2021), Dodger (July 6th, 2021), francois (July 6th, 2021), Jellybean (July 5th, 2021), Ruthrieston (July 6th, 2021), snotface (July 6th, 2021)

Liked

1. the excitement of arriving at Suwannaphumi
    2. hanging out with my 2 friends - 1 in Pattaya and 1 in Bangkok
    3. Siam Paragon and Central World for eating and shopping
    4. mango and sticky rice upstairs at Jim Thompson's on Suriwongse Road
    5. fun nights at Golden Cock, Nature Boy and Eros
    6. massages
    7. the atmosphere in the gay areas
    Last edited by a447; July 5th, 2021 at 23:40.

6. 5 Users gave Like to post:

Blueskytoday (July 6th, 2021), Dax (July 8th, 2021), daydreamer (July 7th, 2021), Dodger (July 6th, 2021), poshglasgow (July 13th, 2021)

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

I miss noodle soup with red pork, chicken and rice, and warm smiles from handsome men.

The noodle soup should be either from a small outdoor restaurant(originally just a mobile stall) in Sainamyen Road, Patong, Phuket, or from an old unmodernised Chinese restaurant on the corner of Saladaeng and Silom in Bangkok. Chicken and Rice should be from the wonderful Briley, also in Patong.

Warm smiles from handsome men should be………..everywhere!

8. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (July 6th, 2021)

Liked

I miss all the bars and boys in Sunee Plaza (and the surrounding area). An endless supply of fun and entertainment. The videos of YaYa brought it all back.

10. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (July 6th, 2021)

Liked

Thanks Dodger! We miss you and strolling the sois soooo much!!

12. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (July 6th, 2021)

Liked

I miss my morning lying in bed planning my motorbike route and where I'm going to eat that day.

I miss trying to decide where to be when the sun sets.

I miss being in my hotel room before I go out trying different lighting combinations to maximise the welcome for the boy.

I miss the 1 inch gekko (Harvey) who.often makes himself at home in my room.

I miss feeding the rhinos and the giraffes at the open zoo.

"It is easier for a camel with one eye and a needle to get into a heavenly haystack than it is to list all the things we miss about Paradise-on-Sea."
    Jesus. (paraphrased)

14. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (July 6th, 2021), Jellybean (July 6th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post

......He stopped to chat to another Sawatdee member at our table in a bar in Sunee Plaza one night, but I was not made aware of his identity until he had left the company and walked off in search of . . .
    Jellybean and Kenny...thank you so much for your kind comments.

Wouldn't it be great if we could arrange a "Get Together", so we could all put a name to a face some time? Obviously this would have to happen after the borders are open again, but worth thinking about.

We had a Sawatdee Get Together years ago at the original Memories Cafe in Sunee. Of the members who were in town at that time, about 8-9 showed up and we had a great time.

Hope to see you guys one day...especially if you think I'm handsome...LOL

Cheers

16. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Jellybean (July 6th, 2021), Kenny (July 6th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    . . . I miss the 1 inch gekko (Harvey) who.often makes himself at home in my room . . .
    Hmmm . . . Harvey you say. That reminds me; I once had a large rabbit named Harvey.
    Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    Hmmm . . . Harvey you say. That reminds me; I once had a large rabbit named Harvey.
    Family name “Milk”?