Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Phuket Sandbox open; TAT awards “Amazing Dodgems” moniker

Liked

Re: Phuket Sandbox open; TAT awards “Amazing Dodgems” moniker

Quote Originally Posted by Andaman! View Post
    Here’s a much more upbeat report on a sandbox trip to Phuket.

https://www.turningleftforless.com/w...-sandbox-stay/
    It was a good read but it still sounded to stressful for my liking.

We only received our CoE on the Wednesday and we were flying on the Friday. To be fair, the Thai Embassy were very helpful as we uploaded documents only to find that ‘human error’ meant that we had to start all over again – 4 times!
    And considering that their plans involved a trip to Bangkok...

Bangkok is now in strict lockdown and all domestic flights are cancelled! So, we’re stuck in Phuket! We did consider moving to Koh Samui, but decided against it, as the journey home could be complicated enough.
    I think the same as Gerefan2, 4 months is a long time and I hope they can improve the vaccination process.

Lastly, I hope that we foreigners are taken a bit less for granted. I see many YouTubers that have invested interest talking about how great Thailand is, but I always had a them and us feeling. We are them, the farang. A total different mindset than for example Vietnam. I'm not trying to be too controversial, it was just something that came to mind because I still enjoyed each and every visit.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Andaman! View Post
    Here’s a much more upbeat report on a sandbox trip to Phuket.

https://www.turningleftforless.com/w...-sandbox-stay/
    Honestly, I'm not sure how upbeat that is. That sounds horrible.

I much prefer Malta. Show up with proof of vaccination and a negative test within he past 72 hours, and that's it. You don't even need to alert them you're coming, you just show up and get stamped in for 90 days.

3. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (August 9th, 2021), Ruthrieston (August 9th, 2021), vnman (August 9th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by vnman View Post
    Interesting Sandbox experience. First time I've seen a video from this channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3PDOhHP6oI

This guy seems to have done everything possible to make his trip a failure.
    He attempted to arrive on the first day of the scheme & then, if I'm paying attention, only stayed for a week or so. After flying from Seattle via Doha.

Our own risk of problems is much lower if we allow people like him be the guinea pigs. Monitor how they get on for at least a week, via various sources, then when we understand how the scheme is operating in practice, get our own trip booked.
    I'll happily use one of these sandbox schemes in the winter, if Thai covid cases & restrictions are on a downward trend & if it's the best holiday option I can see.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    I much prefer Malta. Show up with proof of vaccination and a negative test within he past 72 hours, and that's it. .
    So just about the same access rules as a whole heap of other European Countries now then too ? And so with all those wide ranging choices available to you, you picked "Malta" as your choice !? Hmmmm ok.

Liked

Thanks for the link, vnman. I watched the entire video (the information could have been transmitted in half the time in written form), and that confirmed my subconscious premonition that the COE, with uploading various documents for pre- and then final approval, is bound to have some bugs. When dealing with people, you can figure it out, but with a computer program: ERROR!

The craziest is the requirement to pay for covid tests in advance, and submit the receipt that you get from your hotel to obtain your COE. That's micromanagement, worse than kindergarten!

7. User who gave Like to post:

vnman (August 9th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    I'll happily use one of these sandbox schemes in the winter, if Thai covid cases & restrictions are on a downward trend & if it's the best holiday option I can see.
    I agree, but it would have to be a last minute arrangement.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by vnman View Post
    I agree, but it would have to be a last minute arrangement.
    Agreed totally.
    Loosely monitor the situation for a few months.
    Then about 4~6 weeks in advance, check out the rules and people's experiences in detail.
    Sort all the bookings & paperwork in the 3 weeks beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    Thanks for the link, vnman. I watched the entire video (the information could have been transmitted in half the time in written form), and that confirmed my subconscious premonition that the COE, with uploading various documents for pre- and then final approval, is bound to have some bugs.
    Back in December, my visa arrived just before lunch.
    I did the first stage after lunch, which was approved early in the evening.
    I then submitted the second stage, which was approved by about 10 pm.

The COE application website was less clunky than the visa application website.

I suspect the requirement to pay for the covid tests before the COE is a way of making sure they get paid.

10. User who gave Like to post:

vnman (August 9th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    So just about the same access rules as a whole heap of other European Countries now then too ? And so with all those wide ranging choices available to you, you picked "Malta" as your choice !? Hmmmm ok.
    Yeah, what's wrong with Malta? Lived there for 6 months before, and it was great. Good weather all year around, very safe and peaceful, really friendly people, loads of expats and making friends is really easy, about half the price of Canada, English speaking, et al. I can't really goto any of the non-English EU countries, as that's just not going to work with the whole blind thing.

Plus I can easily get a residency VISA. Prove 2700 EUR/month in contracts from out of country sources, medical insurance, condo lease, and that's it. 1 year residency VISA renewable each year.

I have no idea about the gay scene over there, but that's not why I'm going. I'm a 40 year old blind guy, so I'm not exactly hoping for a cute Maltese twink to be sitting on my lap wearing nothing but a towel. That will have to wait another year until Covid settles down, and I can get back to Asia. Hell, by the time this pandemic is over, I might be allowed back in Thailand already.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

"Phuket should be considered as a green list travel destination from the UK, separately from the rest of Thailand, according to local tourism leaders.
    As Bangkok grapples with rising numbers of Covid infections, KP Ho, executive chairman of Banyan Tree Group, said it was imperative for Phuket to be given ‘green’ destination status.

He called on policy-makers in Europe and around the world to support Phuket as a separate green zone.
    But governments need to recognise it as a safe, self-enclosed destination, rather than combining its travel status with the rest of Thailand.
    That was the message given to European envoys, airlines, senior officials and business leaders, at a meeting on the resort island."

https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/...y-leaders-urge

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post

"Phuket should be considered as a green list travel destination from the UK,
    It must be a "Rip Van Winkle effect".

Nothing is open on Phuket.

14. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (August 15th, 2021)