Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Phuket Sandbox open; TAT awards “Amazing Dodgems” moniker

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Phuket Sandbox open; TAT awards “Amazing Dodgems” moniker

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post
    Strange that you find this amusing. It seems to me that if the Phuket Sandbox fares badly, as a trial for re-opening areas of Thailand back up to tourists, then the numbers of locals suffering, in the way that you have described elsewhere, will only increase.
    Brad, I don't find the situation in Phuket amusing at all. What I do find amusing is the fact that some people actually thought it would be a success during a time when a tidal wave of covid (including the Delta variant) is sweeping across the Kingdom kicking ass and taking names. A nine year old could see the writing on the wall. That's what so amusing to me. I've only been saying this for 5 months!

The locals will stop sulferering when they get enough quality vaccine in Thailand to keep the population safe so they can flatten the curve on reported cases - open their businesses again safely - and get the economy moving again. We don't have to like the solution. We don't have to agree on the solution. But, it's the only solution and we'd better find a way to live with it.

2. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Blueskytoday (July 14th, 2021), dab69 (July 26th, 2021), mr giggles (July 16th, 2021)

Liked

I'm not sure what they expect here.

For a start, the initial requirement to vaccinate 70% of the population before starting the sandbox scheme clearly means they expect some tourists to have covid. Otherwise, they wouldn't need to have the vaccinations first.

So some incoming tourists have covid, which ought to be as expected. The requirement to test before arrival ought to reduce the incidence rate, but not eliminate the risk. Particularly if the tourists come from a country where it's easy to obtain a fraudulent covid test certificate, the testing might not help at all. There are ways to tighten that up, such as restrict the list of countries, or take a lateral flow test for every passenger at check in (only 30 minutes).

As for the 70% vaccinations, surely that's intended to stop the spread of covid ? Except it's very unlikeley to be enough. The R value for the original Alpha strain was reported to be between 3 and 4. With a vaccine that has 100% effectiveness at stopping spread, 70% might be borderline for herd immunity at R=3.33.
    Except they now have the Delta strain which has a considerably higher R.
    And no vaccine has 100% effectiveness at stopping spread.
    We also don't know what vaccines were used on Phuket, but if it's Sinovac, it would be much less effective.

So they have some covid cases among tourists, which must be as expected ?
    Are they finally realizing that vaccinating 70% of the population will not be enough ? (particularly if using Sinovac)

[Disclaimer: The above is based on common sense and I do not claim to be an expert]

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post

......Are they finally realizing that vaccinating 70% of the population will not be enough ? (particularly if using Sinovac)
    Do we even know if they were able to vaccinate 70% of the Phuket residents?

They were struggling like all other provinces getting enough vaccine for even a small percentage of the population, and then came the claim (supported by TAT of course) that they hit their 70% goal. I really hate sounding so negative about this, but I personally don't buy it for a minute.

IMO...Once the third wave hit, accompanied by the Delta variant, and cases in Thailand starting skyrocketing, they should have postponed the Phuket Sandbox. By not postponing it they have put both Phuket residents and tourists at risk, and now, as unfortunate as it is, have ruined Phuket's reputation as a desirable vacation spot during and after this pandemic which could further damage the economy They were warned against this repeatedly, but decided not to heed that advice.

5. User who gave Like to post:

Ruthrieston (July 16th, 2021)

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

A reminder of the economic pressures to try to find a path forward.

But the dependence of at least seven million workers on tourism, which contributes to about 20 per cent of the country’s gross domestic product, has left the government with little choice but to start taking calculated risks to ease open the borders. Other Southeast Asian nations are watching closely.
    By Thursday, 5,473 had flown into Phuket under the strict terms of the Sandbox. The largest number of arrivals have come from the United States, with the UK, United Arab Emirates, Israel and Germany all in the top five.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-h...iment-success/

While there isn’t any survey of arrivals to determine if they are returning expats or holiday-making tourists, they did cite the statistic that 858 of these arrivals were Thai nationals. That number, less than 17% of all arrivals, might surprise Sandbox sceptics that believed a large portion of those passengers were only Thai people stuck abroad during Covid-19 and finally returning home.
    Finally, the meeting reviewed the hospital and vaccine situation in Phuket, noting that 109 beds out of 640 beds total are currently occupied, with 76 people currently being treated for Covid-19. Vaccinations were also resuming tomorrow with the Ministry of Public Health reserving more vaccines for Phuket.
    https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/m...ox-other-stats

Liked

Some encouragement for Russian and UK Tourists.

The Phuket Tourist Association believes that the results so far can be reassuring to the global travel community and a few upcoming changes could allow foreigners to come back in much higher numbers. Russian travellers were a huge demographic before Covid-19 and trade groups are urging the government to approve the Sputnik vaccine to open the Sandbox door to the Russian market to return in October. Another big game-changer is that British citizens currently have to quarantine upon returning to the United Kingdom as Thailand is on its amber list, but that restriction is lifting next Monday. No longer having to isolate after a Phuket holiday will likely see an increase in UK tourists arriving in Thailand.

Estimates by the PTA predict the Phuket Sandbox will see 18,000 travellers in July, 30,000 more in August, and 35,000 in September, bringing third-quarter totals to 83,000 travellers. 12,000 hotel rooms have been booked already, and even accounting for 20% who delayed their travels and 13% who cancelled their bookings that’s still between 8,000 and 9,000 new hotel rooms being filled this quarter. Luxury resorts that were seeing occupancy rates of under 10% are now booking out about 20% of their inventory.

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/p...-uk-travellers

Liked

Yesterday saw 7 international flights arrive with 3 from Europe with Thai Airways, 2 on Singapore Airlines and one each from Emirates and Qatar Airways from the Middle East. Domestic flights have been added as well, including service to and from Pattaya and Koh Samui for the Samui Plus programme.

Covid-19 vaccination in Phuket has been relatively successful compared to other regions in Thailand. With a goal set to inoculate 466,000 people, 88% or 411,000 people have received their first vaccine, while 321,000 people, 69%, have been fully vaccinated with 2 doses. almost 451,000 people in total had registered already to get their vaccines.
    https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/n...phuket-sandbox

9. User who gave Like to post:

vnman (July 26th, 2021)

Liked

I watch TheTiger News 5 days a week and the information is pretty good. They are certainly not "yes men" and are critical enough. However, Thailand had to start somewhere and they did. They allocated their vaccine inventory primarily to Phuket and I do believe that there is a high % of vaccinated people, Thai and foreign.

These are all building blocks to slowly get to the new normal, whatever that is. For example, first people came to stay 14 days in Phuket, but now you are allowed to visit a lot of other places after only 7 days. Each change will appeal to different - and eventually - more and more people. Some of us would only go when Thailand is fully open, and others are willing to deal with some restrictions.

Personally, I can't stand the mandatory Covid insurance. When I get COVID, my European health Insurance is going to pay 100% Which means, I'm paying for an insurance that I will never use. Well, I'm satisfying some bureaucrats. We are talking about Thailand and things don't always make sense. I think that we all have long lists of things that we don't agree with, or understand.

What they are doing now (IMO) is a very good way of slowly opening up the country where possible.

11. 3 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (July 26th, 2021), Brad the Impala (July 27th, 2021), christianpfc (July 29th, 2021)

Liked

I believe Thailand is the ONLY country demanding insurance coverage, and at USD$100,000 in order to enter the country...CRAZY in my opinion....no wonder many will not go...

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Blueskytoday View Post
    I believe Thailand is the ONLY country demanding insurance coverage, and at USD$100,000 in order to enter the country...CRAZY in my opinion....no wonder many will not go...
    You are obsessed with this tiny detail, and despite repeatedly being pointed to where you can obtain this for a minute premium, compared to the cost of your trip, you keep moaning on and on about it like an elephant's delayed orgasm. Thailand is very far from the only country requiring this cover. There are over 30 countries listed here!

https://www.william-russell.com/blog...nce-for-entry/

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Blueskytoday View Post
    Try Cambodia...Not only do you need the insurance, but you also need to give them a $2000 deposit.

Only @christianpfc is that crazy