Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Long Slow Move from Sunee to Jomtien

Liked

The Long Slow Move from Sunee to Jomtien

In times of yore Sunee was heaving, full of people and beer bars and go go bars. Jomtien was bereft, bars opened and closed within six months. Then the good gay patrons started to move. They left Sunee and went to Jomtien. The beer bars and go go bars in Sunee closed while the bars in Jomtien hustled, bustled and thrived. If Sunee had the client base that Jomtien enjoys then it would still be like before. We have replaced Sunee that had lower rents and more boys and go go bars with Jomtien that has higher, less and none. This is Russia selling Alaska, Losing Rio for Brasilia as the Capital city, James Bond swapping his Aston for a BMW or any other crucifixion level totally wrong decision. Just not as good. So the question is WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING?

2. 4 Users gave Like to post:

Aux1010 (August 13th, 2021), Dodger (August 9th, 2021), Oliver2 (August 9th, 2021), vnman (August 9th, 2021)

Liked

Re: The Long Slow Move from Sunee to Jomtien

Exactly, this is what you guys who constantly complained about Sunnee wanted. A nice, sterile environment where everything is predictable. You got what your asked for, and now you're complaining about it.

I personally enjoyed the sleze and unpredictability of Sunnee. Made for some great nights.

4. 4 Users gave Like to post:

Aux1010 (August 13th, 2021), Dodger (August 9th, 2021), riverdee (August 10th, 2021), vnman (August 9th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I've kept a detailed journal of my experiences in Thailand- both the sacred and the profane (though usually the latter)- and I've recently exhumed them from a cupboard to assuage my thirst for all the things Thai that I miss so much.

I was complaining in 2007 about the demise of Sunee and, before long, of Boyztown, too. I'd forgotten how long the decline had been going on. I suspect that only for my first five or so years as a visitor was Boyztown at its peak. In those days, bookings at the two gay hotels were hard to get. Those were the years 1995 until 2000.
    And Sunee? its zenith, in my view, was from about 2000 to 2004....once the criminality had been eliminated. In those butterfly days, I liked the host bars but my journals reveal that most of my assignations were from elsewhere. However, I enjoyed the atmosphere of Sunee , cosier and less glitzy than Boyztown. The go go bars were a little naughtier than those in Boyztown. no; much more daring.

I agree with Arsenal. Jomtien had always seemed a dull place in comparison . I only visited it for the beach and my afternoon wanders through the Complex in the early days of its Gay Revival (if that is what it was) were dispiriting. Today, it has (or recently had) a thriving scene through which we occasionally stroll and although I am an observer not a participant- apart from an early evening beer- I'm delighted to see it as such.

Decent and inexpensive hotels , better restaurants than Boyztown.....I only wish the bus journey into Pattaya itself wasn't such a damn nuisance. But does it compare in other respects to Old Gay Pattaya? no.

6. 5 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (August 9th, 2021), dab69 (August 9th, 2021), Dodger (August 9th, 2021), francois (August 9th, 2021), vnman (August 9th, 2021)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

There was nothing on earth like Sunee in it’s hay day, the complex in no way can rival those days.When the complex was open I would walk through it and just as fast leave it. The customers looked like they had one foot in the grave and the “boys” with the exception of a few Cambodian boys would not be out of place in the waiting room of a sex change clinic.

Yuck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

8. 4 Users gave Like to post:

Armando (August 10th, 2021), arsenal (August 9th, 2021), dab69 (August 9th, 2021), Dodger (August 9th, 2021)

Liked

I used to mainly patronize the gogo bars & would visit the Jomtien bars about once per trip. Now Sunee has just one gogo bar that I find worth going into (Winner Boys).
    With Covid shutdowns, Jomtien was by far the busiest of the gay areas. So once one has seen the only gogo bar in the village, it's time to get the baht bus down to Jomtien.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post

Exactly, this is what you guys who constantly complained about Sunnee wanted. A nice, sterile environment where everything is predictable. You got what your asked for, and now you're complaining about it.
    I couldn't agree with you more.

Ironically, some of those very same guys who did the complaining about Sunee years ago are still here complaining. Only now they're complaining about the lack of entertainment...and wishing their paradise in Sunee hadn't vanished. Go figure!

Liked

Posts relating to the future of the board can be found here:

https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showt...e-of-the-board

A447

12. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (August 9th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more.
    Ironically, some of those very same guys who did the complaining about Sunee years ago are still here complaining. Only now they're complaining about the lack of entertainment...and wishing their paradise in Sunee hadn't vanished. Go figure!
    Some will always complain and in some cases, the complaints are of a repetitive nature, about the same topics, again & again.

Yet, despite the choice of towns, cities and countries to live/holiday in, they like Pattaya so much, that's where they continue to live/holiday.

Now, Jomtien might be much less fun than Sunee in it's prime, but outside of Thailand, there are not many places to rival even the complex, never mind Sunee.

14. 7 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (August 9th, 2021), Dodger (August 9th, 2021), gerefan2 (August 10th, 2021), Kenny (August 9th, 2021), Ruthrieston (August 10th, 2021), snotface (August 9th, 2021), vnman (August 10th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    So the question is WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING?
    Don't blame me. Before Covid, I made my monthly pilgrimage from Bangkok to Pattaya and spent my nights mainly in Sunee, with a side trip Boyztown, and once in a year to Jomtien, on the invitation of a friend with car, so it cost me no money and only little time to go there. And every time I was wondering: what are all these people doing there (Jomtien), there is little of interest for me!

Liked

Unfortunately I remember bad times in Sunnee when many groups of young boys, and I mean barely in their teens, walked around constantly. That was really unpleasant. I remember sitting in plastic chairs and a Japanese gentleman turning to me and asking where he could find a boy under the age of thirteen. I resisted smacking him over the head with my chair, though only just, paid for my drinks and left rapidly.

I also had many great times in Sunnee, my ex-boyfriend worked in a restaurant there for years and I spent many evening there too. Also a great friend had a bar in Sunnee for years as well. It was sad to see it so deserted even before the pandemic, what it will look like, or Boyztown or even Jomtien remains to be seen. This lockdown may well last another three months yet.