Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Phuket Sandbox open; TAT awards “Amazing Dodgems” moniker

Liked

Re: Phuket Sandbox open; TAT awards “Amazing Dodgems” moniker

India is getting back on her feet after following alternative remedies like ivermectin etc instead of solely dependent on Dr Fauci and the big pharma cartels.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post

Then we can really get some strong varitans going...
    What are varitans?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Armando View Post
    I for one totally fail to understand this odd desire to equate car accidents with covid. I realise that those in the debate are talking about deaths. But covid is far from all about deaths. It is about entire national and international economies. A car crash affects relatively few people.
    This pandemic is affecting the lives and livelihoods of several millions of Thais and costing the country quite a large fortune.
    I see it the opposite way. Without lockdown, a few people would be sick and a few people would die, and the rest go on with their lives as normal. It's the lockdown and other measures the governments take that affect the lives and livelihoods of everyone.

4. 2 Users gave Like to post:

gerefan2 (July 12th, 2021), goji (July 12th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    Too damn right, the road deaths are worse, but policy ignores them !
    Then, to cut the road traffic deaths requires much less damaging interventions, with almost no economic side effects.
    to have a significant impact on the road toll in Thailand would require a complete overhaul in driver education and license testing, a complete overhaul of enforcement of road rules, and a complete overhaul of driver attitude to safety and road rule compliance

apart from the fact that these changes would take decades to have an impact, can you perhaps see some obvious reasons why policy ignores this issue, and indeed why the interventions would actually be significantly damaging, though perhaps not to the people you were thinking of?

and actually I would argue the economic side effects would be significant, but positive - the reduction in lost man-hours and work years would increase productivity and drive export growth, though I don't think it would do much rescue the tourism or entertainment and restaurant sectors

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    I see it the opposite way. Without lockdown, a few people would be sick and a few people would die, and the rest go on with their lives as normal. It's the lockdown and other measures the governments take that affect the lives and livelihoods of everyone.
    I am sure if you did a quick straw poll on people's attitude to what constitutes an acceptable "few people" in that sentence you would get a significantly different response in the UK and many European and South American countries compared to Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, and a few other countries

the balancing act between "acceptable" deaths and economic hardship is a difficult one that I would not like to be making, but rather than just rejecting lockdown I think it would be more productive to look at ways to reduce or better cope with the economic impact and make some short and medium-term adjustments to goals rather than just focusing on re-achieving pre-Covid goals on things like tourism

but if you seriously look at why Thailand is in the situation it is now you may possibly see that in many ways the confounding factors in managing COVID have similar roots to those for managing the road toll!
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

PHUKET BRACES FOR MORE COVID CASES - THE SANDBOX IS A DISASTER

6 Phuket Sandbox tourists infected with COVID including 2 young sisters

PPHO braces for infections; Delta, Beta variants confirmed in Phuket

Phuket officials: Prepare for new entry requirements, or go home.

All Bangkok-Phuket buses cancelled

All schools in Phuket ordered closed for two weeks

Phuket's reputation as a desirable tourist destination during this pandemic has been ruined.

TAT and the PM wanted the credit for Phuket reopening - now they have to shoulder the blame for it being a disaster.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/tv/phu...7-Segments.php

Hey...where's my Award?

Liked

The Phuket Sandbox scheme has now collapsed amid positive tests, quarantined tourists and many different variants.

As the boards most vociferous proponent of the scheme would steviewonders/mrgiggles like to make a statement explaining his thinking?

8. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (July 14th, 2021), mr giggles (July 16th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

To be fair a blind man ( no not you this time Matt just in general figure of speech) could have seen this failure coming a mile away the way things were heading - well, you would have thought anyway.....

10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Armando (July 13th, 2021), Dodger (July 14th, 2021)

Liked

Government: Phuket Sandbox going well, marred by fake news

The Phuket Sandbox scheme aimed at revitalising the economy and tourism and is going well, with tourists continuing to arrive, but its success has been marred by "fake news" on social media of its imminent collapse, a government spokesman said.

Thanakorn Wangboonkongchan, secretary to the Prime Minister's Office minister and spokesman for the Centre for Economic Situation Administration (CESA), said false reports were being disseminated on social media that Phuket had been ordered closed because Covid-19 had spread beyond control.

Mr Thanakorn said this was not true. The Phuket Sandbox programme was still being implemented, with tourists continuing to arrive.

He asked people not to share such misinformation as it could cause panic .... "The infections found among Phuket Sandbox arrivals will not cause the programme to collapse. In this situation, the chance of seeing zero infections is very slim," Dr Kusak said.
    https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...d-by-fake-news
    13 July at 13:25

Strange that this was published almost 18 hours after The Phuket News report. Which is the fake news, I wonder?

12. User who gave Like to post:

mr giggles (July 16th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Armando View Post

Strange that this was published almost 18 hours after The Phuket News report. Which is the fake news, I wonder?
    With empty beaches, chained doors, tourists being hospitalized and quarantined with covid, Delta variant on the loose, and tourists being told - "if they don't like it they can go home", one could assume it's not going very well...LOL

If I want any FACTS regarding what's going on in Thailand (on any topic) I usually ask Jai and he reports back from information he gets on-line from Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms. A large percentage of the Thai population do the same.

Thai newspapers constantly contradict each other and routinely provide false information which is the reason most of the Thai Educated Class avoid the newspapers. The major newspapers are controlled by the Ruling Class and sometimes used as a means of swaying public opinion. Kind of like Fox and CNN in the U.S.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    With empty beaches, chained doors, tourists being hospitalized and quarantined with covid, Delta variant on the loose, and tourists being told - "if they don't like it they can go home", one could assume it's not going very well...LOL
    Strange that you find this amusing. It seems to me that if the Phuket Sandbox fares badly, as a trial for re-opening areas of Thailand back up to tourists, then the numbers of locals suffering, in the way that you have described elsewhere, will only increase.

15. User who gave Like to post:

Khor tose (August 2nd, 2021)