As I predicted, the Phuket Sandbox is now open. The naysayers - including a447 and especially Dodgems - failed to understand from the outset that it's merely Phase One of a multi-phase re-opening. To have delayed the phase would threaten the entire timetable, and the Thai government simply was not going to let that happen. There are those who argue it won't be a "success" measured by the numbers who arrive. That's not the yardstick the government is aiming for. They want a sandbox within which they can tweak, abandon or expand the settings as real-life events dictate. They've even left themselves at "out" - 90+ new COVID infections in a 7-day period.

Will it be a success in any sense? As I've said several times the Chou Enlai answer is the most apposite at the moment - "too soon to tell". I hope so but in the face of the Delta variant I'm sceptical, especially of the Pattaya and Chiang Mai Sandboxes kicking off in September/October.

In recognition of Dodgems' unique contribution to the successful opening of the Phuket Sandbox the TAT is extending the use of the Amazing Thailand slogan so that he will henceforth be known as "Amazing Dodgems" In the meantime here's a selection from Dodgems' Greatest Hits:
Quote Originally Posted by Dodger
Once this third-wave Thailand's encountering plateaus and/or starts to decline, and the majority of the Thai population is vaccinated, these reopening's have a chance of working. Until then it's all window-dressing and TAT's efforts will remain gridlocked.
Quote Originally Posted by Dodger
Phuket Sandbox details provided in news releases continue to stress Phuket's headstrong determination to re-open to tourists "quarantine-free" on July 1st, although, to date, only 50% of the population has received vaccinations (we think), and the percentage of those who still need a second dose is not clearly shown in Phuket data. Lots of gaps in the reporting and the data as we've come to expect.

In any event, and I know others may disagree, I see July 1st as being a real long shot just based on the arithmetic. Evan if they extend the opening until September (which they'll probably end up doing), it will all hinge on the status of the covid surge Kingdom-wide, and the availability of an effective vaccine(s).
https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showt...x-update/page3 post #30

It's been a consistent drumbeat from a poster who claims to understand QA but clearly doesn't understand risk assessment or critical path management. First of all, there were multiple posts saying "it'll never happen". Then "The vaccine they're using will be ineffective anyway". Then "It will be delayed". And now?

Now - today - 200+ International passengers are scheduled to arrive.