Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Being gay in rural Thailand

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Being gay in rural Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post

Cultural difference Dodger. We just don't feel that comfortable as house guests. We see you Americans walk into each other's houses and help yourself from the fridge. No British person would ever do that.
    LOL...I know, I've seen this before and always scratch my head.

If I invite friends from the U.S. Australia or Ireland over for a visit, my refrigerator is going to be empty by the time they leave. They're worse than the boys. But if I invite one of my British friends over I have to twist his arm to eat a cookie. What gives???

True story: One of my best friends from Wimbledon was over for a visit once and I asked him if he wanted a sweet roll. He replied "yes, thank you". I walked over to the sofa to where he was sitting and handed him one. At first he gave me a puzzled look, and then he went on to tell me that when a sweet roll is presented to a guest in England, it's always served on a small plate or napkin. I laughed and told him we weren't in England - we were in Pattaya Thailand, and if he wanted a napkin he'd have to go to the hung nam and get some tissue. He laughed, but you could tell he really didn't think it was funny.

Liked

The introduction passage from Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island about when he first arrived in Britain is possibly the funniest thing I've ever read.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    One of my best friends from Wimbledon was over for a visit once and I asked him if he wanted a sweet roll. He replied "yes, thank you". I walked over to the sofa to where he was sitting and handed him one. At first he gave me a puzzled look.
    He was just being polite. No one from Wimbledon would have a clue what a 'sweet roll' might be.

4. User who gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (June 29th, 2021)

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    The introduction passage from Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island about when he first arrived in Britain is possibly the funniest thing I've ever read.
    ”The introduction passage”. Those poor bloody Chinese. Anyone with a modicum of English language ability knows it’s “the introductory passage”.

That’s for those who aren’t even more interested in the back passage.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Sen Yai View Post

He was just being polite. No one from Wimbledon would have a clue what a 'sweet roll' might be.
    I didn't have the foggiest clue what Bangers n' Mash were either until I went to an English pub with the same friend.

To me "shag" meant "move along". He corrected me on this as well.

7. User who gave Like to post:

goji (June 29th, 2021)

Liked

Wot dus modikum meen

Liked

When I visited a friend in Srisaket and stayed at his place, I was about to ask "Where are the boys?", but he hushed "My family doesn't know I'm gay, don't tell anyone!".

I stayed at other friends' places as well, but rural life has nothing to offer for me. Nowadays, my minimum requirement is an amphoe capital with hotel, supermarket, bus station.

10. 4 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (June 29th, 2021), GWMinUS (June 30th, 2021), Jellybean (June 29th, 2021), mr giggles (June 29th, 2021)

Liked

Stayed in Thai village in Isaan with my partner and our friend. Everyone in village knew friend is gay and we are too. Many people visited friend's house to see us. We felt ourselves as white elephants. But we were very welcome to all places in the village.
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

12. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (June 29th, 2021), Ruthrieston (June 30th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

First shot is the place I was supposed to stay, near Surin a few years ago. I politely declined and did the usual Farang thing and stayed in an hotel in the nearby town.

Second pic is a view from my friends front verandah.

Had to take the last pic as it reminded me of my polyonymous idol taking his taxi home from Soi 4!

14. 8 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (June 30th, 2021), Dodger (June 30th, 2021), goji (June 29th, 2021), Jellybean (June 29th, 2021), Kenny (June 29th, 2021), Oliver2 (June 30th, 2021), Ruthrieston (June 30th, 2021), splinter1949 (June 30th, 2021)