Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Being gay in rural Thailand

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

Re: Being gay in rural Thailand

I don't know, but I've never had an issue in the villages. Kim's parents were seperated, so for the years we were living together, we'd rotate the two villages and usually go to one of them every two weeks. His mom's village was actually fairly decent, and not once did I sense any ill will due to the sexuality component. It was always nothing but warmth and friendliness, plus of course the occasional to be expected "omg, a white guy" stare.

Even during times such as Songkran, his little sister's wedding, his step father's funeral, et al.... when there were loads of people around, not once did I sense any uneasiness at all. Nobody seemed to care in the slightest, and were just doing their thing, enjoying their lives and we're more than friendly towards me. Not once did Kim ever show any indication whatsoerver there was anything amiss, as I'm confident there wasn't.

His dad's village on the other hand was quite the dive, and more poverty stricken. Still not a single negative feeling regarding the sexuality aspect, as it simply didn't seem to matter. Did have one grandma in that village who wouldn't stop pinching me though -- just checking if that white skin is actually real or rubs off, I guess.

Did get some grief in his dad's village though, but had nothing to do with homophobia, and instead due to being white. I don't understand pasa-Laos very well, but these guys were the Western equivalent of backwards redneck hicks. Basic gist was I'm just a lazy, rich foriegners who's weak and doesn't know what hard work is, whereas they're the real men who work hard every day, and blah, blah.... They didn't seem to care in the slightest Kim and myself were gay, but looked down on me for being white and working being a computer using my mind instead of muscles to earn money.

heh, that reminds me. I'll never forget Kim's dad the one day, so very proudly showing off his tatoo that spanned his entire chest. Took off his shirt and pointed, where it spelt in huge letters, "KA-MAN-DO". He was all proud, saying it's because he used to be a commando in the Thai military. Didn't have the heart to tell him he totally botched the spelling, and just smiled and told him it looked awesome.

2. 3 Users gave Like to post:

mr giggles (June 25th, 2021), Nathan B (June 27th, 2021), Ruthrieston (June 25th, 2021)