Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Phuket opening: only final Cabinet approval to go

No Platformed
    Liked

Phuket opening: only final Cabinet approval to go

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is pleased to confirm Thailand’s readiness to reopen to vaccinated foreign tourists without quarantine requirements, starting with the “Phuket Sandbox” model from 1 July, Surat Thani – Samui Plus from 15 July, followed by other destinations, including Krabi, Phang Nga, Pattaya, Chiang Mai and Buri Ram in the following months.

The plan, approved by the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) during today’s meeting, will be submitted for final approval from the Cabinet.

The sound you can hear is Dodgems grinding his teeth

https://www.tatnews.org/2021/06/thai...m-1-july-2021/

Liked

Re: Phuket opening: only final Cabinet approval to go

They keep moving the goalpost.

When I come back to Thailand it will be a last-minute booking.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by vnman View Post
    They keep moving the goalpost.
    Like governments all over the world, as circumstances change. We are not in a static situation.

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post
    Like governments all over the world, as circumstances change. We are not in a static situation.
    Correct, and one important point from the CCSA recommendation is that the Phuket Sandbox can be “cancelled”* if the number of new infections surges to 90 in any week - https://www.bangkokpost.com/business...-for-reopening

* I wonder if they mean “suspended”

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by StevieWonders View Post
    Correct, and one important point from the CCSA recommendation is that the Phuket Sandbox can be “cancelled”* if the number of new infections surges to 90 in any week - https://www.bangkokpost.com/business...-for-reopening

* I wonder if they mean “suspended”
    Which begs the question of what happens to tourists who are there if they 'cancel' it. Confined to hotel? Told to go back to their country?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Mancs View Post
    Which begs the question of what happens to tourists who are there if they 'cancel' it. Confined to hotel? Told to go back to their country?
    Well, tourists will be wearing their mandatory GPS enabled wristbands, so should make it fairly easy for Thai police to round them all up and send them packing if and when needed.

Liked

This all begs the obvious question. Once governments gain additional power, they generally don't really like giving it up. More often then not, they just infuse it into permanent policy, and life goes on. Prime example is the Patriot Act in the US -- I don't even know, are we all still worried about Mohammed blowing things up while yelling "Allah Ahkbar", or is the war on terror over?

Anyway, so once this whole pandemic is over, which governments will think this additional tracking of foreigners comings and goings is quite nifty to have at their disposal, and decide to make the new measures permanent law in their land?

8. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (June 19th, 2021), wingnut (June 20th, 2021)

No Platformed
    Liked

Liked

Do you think it will be successful?

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
    Do you think it will be successful?
    As I recall I’ve said on several occasions that “I’m with Chou Enlai on this question” - too early to tell. At a very high level of assessment, fully-vaccinated tourists mixing with mostly vaccinated locals should not pose a high risk. But that’s before you consider that the vaccinated locals have mostly been given a vaccine that seems to have less efficacy against the Delta variant that’s expanding its presence. If I was thinking of making the trip I’d be booking a fully refundable trip for mid-August at the earliest if I were in the UK right now (which thankfully I’m not) or even waiting for Phase 2 in October.