Quick navigation:
List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: New COVID insurance cover requirement for all ex-pats (married, retired etc.)

No Platformed
    Liked

New COVID insurance cover requirement for all ex-pats (married, retired etc.)

The Thai government proposes implementing a new health insurance rule for all long-term non-immigrant residents eg. retirees. They must (once it becomes an Immigration regulation) show proof of COVID-specific health insurance to a value of USD100,000. As it's generally impossible currently for anyone over 70 to take up a new health insurance policy in Thailand, the government has acknowledged that policies purchased from overseas insurers will be accepted.

There's a similar requirement for all tourists already in place; those over 75 equally have limited options for buying such cover although tipinsure.com seems to provide such cover (roughly 50 baht per day)

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...for-long-stays

No Platformed
    Liked

Re: New COVID insurance cover requirement for all ex-pats (married, retired etc.)

There's now some argy-bargy online about who this new policy affects. According to The Nation it's O-A visas only. Their article includes more detailed information
    https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40002065

Liked

Re: New COVID insurance cover requirement for all ex-pats (married, retired etc.)

The Bangkok Post article doesn't indicate that the information applies to those who obtain and remain in Thailand on the basis of a Non-Immigrant O-A Visa, although that appears to be the case from what it says re the prior requirement for health insurance and the "flaw" in prior rules about not being able to use non-Thai health insurance providers for extensions or the inability to extend their stay if they cannot obtain insurance.

This article in The Nation mentions the proposed changes to Immigration rules are for those with an "O-A" Non Immigrant Visa: https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40002065

No Platformed
    Liked

The big plus that I see is the provision for, in effect, a 3 million baht bond, bank guarantee, whatever for those who cannot get insurance.

Liked

WHAT A MISLEADING TITLE TO THIS THREAD
    It is NOT for ALL expats.
    From Richard Barrow today --
    The front page story in the Bangkok Post entitled "Virus cover needed for long stays" that I posted here this morning is very misleading. I just read the minutes of the cabinet meeting (in Thai) and it clearly says this is only for O-A visas AND their intention is to help long-stay foreigners over 50. The Bangkok post said it was for all Non-b visas.
    As a consequence, I have decided to delete that post. I apologise for any misunderstanding brought about by that article printed on the front page of “The newspaper that you can trust”. Instead I give you below an article in The Nation which is more accurate
    ♦️The Cabinet on Tuesday approved in principle new rules to support health insurance for long-stay foreigners under the Non-Immigrant “O-A” visa https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40002065 #Thailand

No Platformed
    Liked

Patanawet in his arrogance has decided to No Platform me. As a consequence he’s complaining about the title of the thread which accurately reflects the Post story that I linked. He then ignores a follow up post where I made a correction to the story. Ignorance caused by arrogance. Amazing (or not). Amusing certainly.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

For information

Quote Originally Posted by StevieWonders View Post
    Patanawet in his arrogance has decided to No Platform me. As a consequence he’s complaining about the title of the thread which accurately reflects the Post story that I linked. He then ignores a follow up post where I made a correction to the story. Ignorance caused by arrogance. Amazing (or not). Amusing certainly.

Liked

And maybe how much does it cost for this USD$100,000 insurance coverage from "overseas insurers"?? anyone have an idea??

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Blueskytoday View Post
    And maybe how much does it cost for this USD$100,000 insurance coverage from "overseas insurers"?? anyone have an idea??
    It depends on factors. But here is an example if you book your flight with gotogate.

https://prnt.sc/163dpfn

https://prnt.sc/163dt8m

I've tried to upload the images but the system didn't work for me.

You might be asking about expat insurance...about that, I have no info.

Liked

I believe the covid insurance required by travelers had to specify the cover in USD (or THB).

Are requirements different for the expat insurance ?

Whilst Eur 100,000 is clearly above USD100,000 at recent exchange rates, approving that would rely on the co-operation of whoever is checking the documents.