Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: American Expats in Thailand May Get U.S. Vaccines

No Platformed
    Liked

Re: American Expats in Thailand May Get U.S. Vaccines

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    So let me get this right... BBC reports facts on India's latest outbreak, and that can just be disregarded as Western propaganda.

Some guy says something on a Russian news program without evidence, and because Modurna didn't pro-actively come out and refute that statement, it must be true? Do you not maybe, just maybe... see there might be a small issue with that line of logic?

I know that Putin is actually a lizard man who keeps a bunch of flying dragons as pets in his basement, and flys around on them every night while spear hunting grizzly bears.

If Putin himself doesn't come out and refute that statement within 48 hours, then I guess that makes it true.
    I thought Moses’ riposte to you rather good. I was going to ask him if I could use with MFAS.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Now that this proposal has been stone-walled, we're back to flipping a coin again to see when a decent vaccine is available for us yanks.

My daughter has been trying to convince me to just come home for a visit so I could get the vaccine there. Very tempting, as I fly for free on my AMEX air miles which are growing dust in my account...have living quarters in the lower level of my daughters home for my return visits...and even have my car in storage next to her home. That, coupled with the fact that there's 100 Italian women in the family who always tell me I'm too skinny when they see me - who would undoubtedly be cooking up a storm. So, free trip, and I really do miss family & friends.

My only concern is the long flight (27 hours + 3 airplanes + 2 connecting airports) and the risk of getting covid in the process.

I'm going to continue to be patient until August before making a decision.

3. User who gave Like to post:

StevieWonders (May 16th, 2021)

Liked

You could always roll the dice and buy a vaccine off the darknet.

In seriousness though, I think waiting until August is a good plan. Your life and up to you, but if I was in your position, I'd be willing to wait it out until late summer as you're planning, but would also ensure I got a vaccine one way or another by mid September at the very latest. Winters are always the worst season for these viruses, so I personally wouldn't want to go into another winter without a vaccination.

5. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (May 16th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    My only concern is the long flight (27 hours + 3 airplanes + 2 connecting airports) and the risk of getting covid in the process.

I'm going to continue to be patient until August before making a decision.
    Plus whatever quarantine you have to do when returning to Thailand ?

7. User who gave Like to post:

Blueskytoday (May 18th, 2021)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

The U.S. is about to export 80 million doses of vaccines.......Why not vaccinate there own citizens living abroad?
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    The U.S. is about to export 80 million doses of vaccines.......Why not vaccinate there own citizens living abroad?
    How exactly do you propose they handle the logistics of such an operation? Air lift freezers that can handle -70C temperatures to embassies around the world, then deploy the US military to setup vaccination centers on foreign soil around the globe?

Or should the US government just ask the government of each country that has Americans living in it if they'd be willing to lend some nurses on contract to perform vaccinations on US citizens? I'm sure that would bode well for international relations.

What would happen to non-US family members of Americans? Lots of Americans are married abroad and have kids. Do they get vaccinated, or too bad for them? If yes, what about the spouse's family then?

On a lighter note, I finally get my jab in less than 9 hours.

EDIT: Just checked, and there's ~8.7 million Americans living abroad. Would be quite the daunting task to track them all down all over the globe and get them a vaccine.

10. User who gave Like to post:

2lz2p (May 19th, 2021)

Liked

How exactly do you propose they handle the logistics of such an operation? Air lift freezers that can handle -70C temperatures to embassies around the world, then deploy the US military to setup vaccination centers on foreign soil around the globe?

Or should the US government just ask the government of each country that has Americans living in it if they'd be willing to lend some nurses on contract to perform vaccinations on US citizens? I'm sure that would bode well for international relations..
    Bode well or not citizens live abroad pay taxes etc. They used to do outreach for citizens in Pattaya etc.when they would verify income now they can be bothered doing that anymore so send vaccines to the Embassy let them handle the logistics. The only downside would be loss of face for the government who is unable to deliver its own citizens a vaccine in a timely manner.

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    John1:23

Liked

Or should the US government just ask the government of each country that has Americans living in it if they'd be willing to lend some nurses on contract to perform vaccinations on US citizens? I'm sure that would bode well for international relations..
    Bode well or not citizens live abroad pay taxes etc. They used to do outreach for citizens in Pattaya etc.when they would verify income now they can be bothered doing that anymore so send vaccines to the Embassy let them handle the logistics. The only downside would be loss of face for the government who is unable to deliver its own citizens a vaccine in a timely manner.

14. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (May 19th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by manforallseasons View Post

......the only downside would be loss of face for the government who is unable to deliver its own citizens a vaccine in a timely manner.
    bingo!