Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nomadland

Liked

Nomadland

Nomadland is about itinerant workers in America. Directed by ChloƩ Zhao. It won 3 Oscars.

The style resembles the British masterpiece, Kes. Few actual actors with the majority of the cast being real life people and the script seemed very loose. The use of steadycam gives it a documentary feel.

The lack of a real soundtrack makes it quite hard going. A little Einaudi early on but little after that and at one point I played Divenire independently so I basically seasoned my own chips.

Vaguely unsettling it never tries to paint the lifestyle as free or noble but as a daily grind to be got through rather than cherished. There are few highs and many lows.

Although she won an Academy Award I found it difficult to judge the performance of the lead actress Frances McDormand as she's mainly reacting to real people telling real stories.

Interestingly the film and its awards success has been greeted in China with frosty suspicion. Zhao is Chinese. No doubt the Chinese authorities are worried and with good reason. If she can make such a thoughtful and sensitive movie about a culture so far from her own roots what might she do if she turned her attention to one of the many many issues that China tries to sweep under the carpet.

2. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Jellybean (May 2nd, 2021), Khor tose (May 8th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Nomadland

Thanks - after reading your post I googled that and watched a trailer, it's now saved on my "to watch" list.

I always like the various TV / Movie recommendations that pop up on the board from time as they take me in directions movies I sometimes wouldn't instantly gravitate towards.

4. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (May 1st, 2021)

Liked

Just watched Nomadland last night and truly enjoyed it.

6. User who gave Like to post:

Khor tose (May 8th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

...dunno...based on the dreary negative portrayal of life in the US she's probably in cahoots with the Chinese commies attempting to prove that life in the US is horrible compared to the China workers paradise...now wheres my tin foil hat..gotta watch out for 5G

Liked

First Contact. Lost Tribe of the Amazon. 2016

Watching this docu I was struck by the similarities in lifestyle of these two disparate/desperate groups. The inescapable truth that they long for something better. The Amazon tribe welcome the clothes, shoes and tools that the camera team provide for them. One tells of going hungry for four days while sitting in the rain. Don't look at their teeth.

The nomads and the Amazonians share what amounts to a life of want and misery. Not free, not at one with nature, not at one with themselves and not happy.

Liked

I remember seeing a similar (the same?) documentary and was struck by the fact that the guys were very happy to get clothes. Apparently they were embarrassed by their nudity.

That's something I never thought I'd hear as I figured they would be totally ok with it. I guess wanting to hide your "junk" is universal.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

They never thought of themselves as naked until they saw people clothed. Any self respecting anthropologist should have stripped off!

It's the same as poor people being content when they don't know they are "poor". Discontent comes when they see wealth and realise how really poor they are are in comparison.

11. 2 Users gave Like to post:

francois (May 3rd, 2021), Zebedee (May 12th, 2021)

Liked

The point I'm making is that the anthropologists didn't see the need to get naked, but members of the tribe saw the need to hide their goods.

Why? Maybe because they have always been embarrassed by letting it all hang out and when they saw clothes for the first time they realised there was a way to solve their problem.

Liked

The rainforest is full of stinging insects, venomous snakes, poisonous plants and others with sharp thorns. The very last place to walk about with your naked big dangly flip floppin about. Makes me eyes water just thinkin about it.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    The point I'm making is that the anthropologists didn't see the need to get naked, but members of the tribe saw the need to hide their goods.

Why? Maybe because they have always been embarrassed by letting it all hang out and when they saw clothes for the first time they realised there was a way to solve their problem.
    So you say.