Quick navigation:
List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: Lonely & Depressed in Thailand?

  1. #11
    Forum's veteran arsenal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    6,970
    Liked
    3052

    Re: Lonely & Depressed in Thailand?

    And wallet.

  2. #12
    Senior member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    347
    Liked
    331

    Re: Lonely & Depressed in Thailand?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Here's an interesting article on the topic:

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7306546/
    I noticed the following near the start of that article -

    Older adults are also more vulnerable to social isolation and loneliness as they are functionally very dependent on family members or supports by community services
    I hardly think either of these situations applies to retirees in Thailand.

  3. #13
    Senior member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    147
    Liked
    129

    Re: Lonely & Depressed in Thailand?

    This is a problem certainly not limited to Thailand. Although I live on (most would say) an idyllic island, I feel seriously constrained by the fact that getting off this island has been hampered (luckily not totally forbidden) during this seemingly eternal pandemic period.

    In trying to keep my balance, my (partial) solution has been to study up on my Thai (and a few other languages), clean up my home (which has become bursting at the rafters with all kinds of junk), and exercising at least an hour a day. Those all help a lot. But, I do have to admit, that if this crazy period goes on too much longer, even those diversions might not be enough! This has got to end!

  4. 3 Users gave Like to post:

    arsenal (April 25th, 2021), Dodger (April 25th, 2021), Zebedee (April 25th, 2021)

  5. #14
    Senior member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Pattaya
    Posts
    51
    Liked
    102

    Re: Lonely & Depressed in Thailand?

    Living in Thailand I am so fortunate to have been able to live a normal life for most of the past year or more. But I live alone, am in the category of high risk from the virus, so I am isolating again now. Me "friends" locally seem to have abandoned me completely, not even bothering to keep in touch, and seem to think I am overreacting to this huge increase in infections. I sleep ten hours a night, read a lot, watch mindless tv, listen to UK radio. Another severe lockdown is in the offing now and frankly I am dreading it.

  6. 4 Users gave Like to post:

    arsenal (April 25th, 2021), Dodger (April 25th, 2021), francois (April 25th, 2021), Zebedee (April 25th, 2021)

  7. #15
    Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,621
    Liked
    1043

    Re: Lonely & Depressed in Thailand?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthrieston View Post
    I sleep ten hours a night
    I envy that ability.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

  8. 2 Users gave Like to post:

    francois (April 25th, 2021), Zebedee (April 25th, 2021)

  9. #16
    Temp.Suspended
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    522
    Liked
    339

    Re: Lonely & Depressed in Thailand?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthrieston View Post
    Living in Thailand I am so fortunate to have been able to live a normal life for most of the past year or more. But I live alone, am in the category of high risk from the virus, so I am isolating again now. Me "friends" locally seem to have abandoned me completely, not even bothering to keep in touch, and seem to think I am overreacting to this huge increase in infections. I sleep ten hours a night, read a lot, watch mindless tv, listen to UK radio. Another severe lockdown is in the offing now and frankly I am dreading it.
    I don't think you are overreacting given you are in the high risk category. Hopefully the vaccination rollout rate will increase soon, this would change your circumstances for the better. I have to confess I am not familiar with vaccine rollout details in Thailand as I don't live there and accept it will be a long time before I can visit again. Here in Perth Australia we have started a new three day lockdown, assuming it is not extended. If you can do some physical exercise it is very helpful mentally , nothing too strenuous especially if you are not in good general health. Take care.

  10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

    arsenal (April 25th, 2021), Dodger (April 25th, 2021)

  11. #17
    Forum's veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,629
    Liked
    1554

    Re: Lonely & Depressed in Thailand?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthrieston View Post
    Living in Thailand I am so fortunate to have been able to live a normal life for most of the past year or more. But I live alone, am in the category of high risk from the virus, so I am isolating again now. Me "friends" locally seem to have abandoned me completely, not even bothering to keep in touch, and seem to think I am overreacting to this huge increase in infections. I sleep ten hours a night, read a lot, watch mindless tv, listen to UK radio. Another severe lockdown is in the offing now and frankly I am dreading it.
    You're in a very tough situation, no doubt.

    I think Zebedee's suggestion about exercising is a very good one.

    Sleeping 10 hours could be contributing to depression - and is counterproductive during isolation like this.

    If you were to sleep 1-2 hours less, and use that time to do some basic (low impact) exercises, you would almost assuredly start to feel better mentally and physically.

    Also, getting out and taking a daily walk (away from people) can only help.

    Fighting depression during isolation is all about "survival". Which means you have to get off your ass and start moving - like it, or not. No one is going to do this for you. So, my advice is to get moving.

    Here's a video of some basic stretch exercises for seniors which you may find helpful:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVCqkiqsz4I

    Good luck.

  12. 5 Users gave Like to post:

    a447 (April 25th, 2021), goji (April 25th, 2021), Lovechef (April 26th, 2021), Ruthrieston (April 26th, 2021), Zebedee (April 25th, 2021)

  13. #18
    Forum's veteran francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,032
    Liked
    1292

    Re: Lonely & Depressed in Thailand?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post

    If you were to sleep 1-2 hours less, and use that time to do some basic (low impact) exercises, you would almost assuredly start to feel better mentally and physically.

    Also, getting out and taking a daily walk (away from people) can only help.

    Fighting depression during isolation is all about "survival". Which means you have to get off your ass and start moving - like it, or not. No one is going to do this for you. So, my advice is to get moving.

    Good luck.
    Dodger, your advice reminds me of advice given by a hyperactive friend (who jogs and walks). He told three or more people they should get out and walk/jog. One friend who is overweight and old; another who is very overweight and has health issues; another friend who has a bad back and bad knees and is elderly; and myself who has had heart problems.
    Basically he was saying start jogging and "drop dead".

  14. #19
    Forum's veteran dinagam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,069
    Liked
    573

    Re: Lonely & Depressed in Thailand?

    A 10 hour sleep is not the issue. What is important is the quality - deep sleep, light sleep and REM sleep he gets every night, in good proportion.

  15. 2 Users gave Like to post:

    Dodger (April 25th, 2021), mr giggles (April 26th, 2021)

  16. #20
    Forum's veteran goji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,377
    Liked
    1115

    Re: Lonely & Depressed in Thailand?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    I think Zebedee's suggestion about exercising is a very good one.

    Sleeping 10 hours could be contributing to depression - and is counterproductive during isolation like this.

    If you were to sleep 1-2 hours less, and use that time to do some basic (low impact) exercises, you would almost assuredly start to feel better mentally and physically.

    Also, getting out and taking a daily walk (away from people) can only help.
    Good advice from Zebedee & Dodger.

    The risk of catching the virus outside in the daylight is negligible, so go for a good long walk.
    I'm a firm believer in exercise. So even when quarantined in a hotel room, I managed to walk 5 miles a day.
    [Apologies to anyone who's past walking due to age related factors. No apologies at all to anyone who cannot walk due to self inflicted factors like over eating and under exercising.]

    Then Charlie Munger has some good ideas about attitude. Particularly "Self pity is always the wrong way to think. It's counter productive".
    Covid lock downs aren't much fun, but they are better than been conscripted to fight in some war for 5 years. Most board members have it very good.

  17. User who gave Like to post:

    Dodger (April 25th, 2021)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Sawatdee Network is the set of websites for (and about) gay community of Thailand, travelers and tourists in Thailand and in South East Asia.
Please visit us at:
2004-2017 © Sawatdee Gay Thailand - Sawatdee Network