Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Early retirement

Liked

Re: Early retirement

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    One crucial point is money. I have met some, and heard stories of many other, people who retired too early and ran out of money, and now they scrape by (too old to find a new job, too young to qualify for a pension, or their pension is too low to live on comfortably). If in doubt, rather continue working.

Christian, you must be one of the youngest retirees I know. How do you manage with no job or pension?

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Christian, you must be one of the youngest retirees I know. How do you manage with no job or pension?
    francois, I think the word your looking for is inheritance.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Forum's veteran
    Liked

...nah he's an international euro money boy...tall bloind like a bel ami model...in high demand..Asians pay hood money for fit white MB butt...

Liked

1 There are plenty of self made and very rich people under 40.

2 With all the people here passing judgement on other's circumstances, I'm not sure it's a good idea to answer the question.

3 I think Moses also declared he had retired by 40. Is anyone assuming inheritance there ? No -probably an oligarch who's decided buying a gay bitch board is more fun than buying a football club (& slightly cheaper).

4 Living in Thailand in your 30s probably isn't that difficult to do. Even I probably could have rented my house out and managed it if prepared to run with a very tight budget.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

To me, the term "Retirement" is totally outdated, and doesn't reflect how a person should perceive this phase in his life at all.

When I first started planning for the transition from “work” to “freedom” I did so with the mindset that I would be entering the most productive and personally rewarding phase in my life. “Retirement” suggests the end of a process. “Freedom Phase”, which is my term for this period in my life, suggests the beginning of a new process. Subtle difference – but extremely significant (to me anyway).

The pace I maintained throughout my career, in my older brothers words, "was a bullet train with no stops". This is what I thrived on. I liked making money...dashing across airport terminals to catch red-eye flights...typing reports on planes...knowing hotel concierge's by their first names...and juggling a dozen projects simultaneously, all of which had pressing deadlines. Not for everyone, that's for sure. But I would have been bored to death doing anything else. I'm only saying these things to give you an idea of the type of transition I was planning for.

The way that I approached retirement was really quite simple. I prepared a Daily Schedule in my Business Planner of the activities I would most likely become involved with after retirement - knowing that I had to create a balance of activities to keep healthy (mentally and physically), while at the same time, accomplishing the primary objective which was to be happy, healthy, productive, and fulfilled. I named this Schedule "Freedom Planner" and have it sitting right in front of me now.

One of my objectives was to create a physical fitness routine that would result in me getting in the best physical shape of my life. A bit of a stretch goal considering my age, but something I was going to work towards none-the–less. Examples of other planned activities include; learning new skills (bamboo furniture making/photography), develop expertise in new areas (Research: Theravada Buddhism & Thai culture), write a book (work in-process), Learn/write new songs (guitar music), Travel (road trips), maintain social interactions/friendships, spiritual connections (tamboon, yoga meditation, ME time), keeping up with technology, and goal setting (annual exercise).

I’ve done pretty good at adhering to this Plan, and rarely. If ever, do I find myself getting bored. Most importantly, I feel vital and productive which addresses my biggest concern about this phase in my life, and can say that, at least for me, creating and adhering to this type of Plan is of great benefit.

Since entering my Freedom Phase, I have quit smoking cigarettes, quit going to bars, rarely consume alcohol. In short; I completely altered my lifestyle. My fitness routine lasts 1-1/2 - 2 hours every morning, and I can bench press almost the same amount of weight that I was pressing in the military. Excess body fat is gone and my waist size went from 36 (U.S.) to 32, and I feel great. I’m involved in all of the activities noted in my Plan, although my Road Trips and Social Interactions have been somewhat limited due to the pandemic.

Having a partner who I adore fills in all the gaps and helps to keep me motivated and focused.

Pandemic, or no pandemic, I can honestly say that I feel just as productive as when I was in the Working Phase of life, and so grateful to have the opportunity to experience TRUE FREEDOM. For me, Retirement will come when I’m taking my last breath in this lifetime and transitioning to whatever’s next.

6. 6 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (April 23rd, 2021), goji (April 23rd, 2021), Kenny (April 24th, 2021), Moses (April 23rd, 2021), Nirish guy (April 24th, 2021), Ruthrieston (April 24th, 2021)

Liked

Great post, Dodger.

That all makes perfect sense to me.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post

One of my objectives was to create a physical fitness routine that would result in me getting in the best physical shape of my life. A bit of a stretch goal considering my age, but something I was going to work towards none-the–less. Examples of other planned activities include; learning new skills (bamboo furniture making/photography), develop expertise in new areas (Research: Theravada Buddhism & Thai culture), write a book (work in-process), Learn/write new songs (guitar music), Travel (road trips), maintain social interactions/friendships, spiritual connections (tamboon, yoga meditation, ME time), keeping up with technology, and goal setting (annual exercise).
    I've enjoyed many of your posts over the years, thank you! However I always though that you were a "go with the flow" California hippy type guy! But your retirements sounds more like boot camp. Thanks for sharing but I'm exhausted just reading it.

I'm still happily working. I'm lucky that I only work for people I like, without any long term commitment, and could stop at the drop of a hat, if I chose. I think that helps to make the work enjoyable.

9. User who gave Like to post:

snotface (April 27th, 2021)

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post
    I've enjoyed many of your posts over the years, thank you! However I always though that you were a "go with the flow" California hippy type guy! But your retirements sounds more like boot camp. Thanks for sharing but I'm exhausted just reading it.
    I’d have thought that you would have realised how completely anal Dodgems is. He was involved in the greatest business consulting scam of the late 20th Century - ISO 9000 certification. I generally ask its devotees if it’s possible to document Monty Python’s Silly Walks for ISO 9000. Apparently it is.