The premiere of Mare of Easttown starring Kate Winslet and Guy Pearce was shown on Sky Atlanta in the UK tonight. I found it intriguing enough to add it to my recording schedule. The premise of the show provided by Wikipedia, a review by Lucy Mangan of The Guardian and a YouTube trailer are all posted below. Based on watching the first episode, I would say it is worth giving it a try.

Mare of Easttown is an American crime drama miniseries created by Brad Ingelsby that premiered on HBO on April 18, 2021

Premise
A detective in a small Pennsylvania town investigates a local murder while trying to keep her life from falling apart.
Source: Wikipedia

MoE.png

Favourable TV review from The Guardian:

TV review Kate Winslet

Mare of Easttown review – Kate Winslet triumphs in a moreish murder mystery

Alongside an able cast, the actor gives a defining performance in this perfectly conjured HBO drama set in a bleak and deprived corner of Pennsylvania

Lucy Mangan

@LucyMangan Mon 19 Apr 2021 22.10 BST

Mare of Easttown (Sky Atlantic) is a millefeuille of misery, as exquisitely layered and as moreish as the real thing. In rural Pennsylvania, we meet a small-town cop, Mare Sheehan (Kate Winslet). World-weariness, the weight of professional responsibility and – we discover later, although the clues are there – family tragedy show in every line of her body, every heavy step she takes. She rarely smiles. She is not surly or grumpy – she just doesn’t have the energy for anything else, after doing her job and taking care of her family.

Life takes out of Mare more than it puts in – especially since 19-year-old Katy Bailey, the drug-addicted daughter of Mare’s high-school friend Dawn, disappeared a year ago. If you can have a defining performance this late in a career, this is surely Winslet’s. She is absolutely wonderful – and ably supported by the rest of the cast . . .
For the full article see: The Guardian