Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Burma – Myanmar

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Burma – Myanmar

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post

I always wondered what was going through the minds of the national servicemen who were required to shoot at unarmed Red shirts a few years ago....

The same thing that is going on in the minds of soldiers in Burma at the moment!
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Army Boy

True. I saw the photo of the Burmese nun praying for and protecting demonstrators, noting that two of the soldiers were shown also kneeling down, praying with her.

If only ordinary conscripts there and in Thailand were able to resist their officers.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    I always wondered what was going through the minds of the national servicemen who were required to shoot at unarmed Red shirts a few years ago....
    The same thing that is going on in the minds of soldiers in Burma at the moment!
    I suspect Burma would need a split in the army or civil war to resolve their problem.

I'll not comment on the other country, as explaining my idea of a solution would break board rules.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    in Burma
    Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    I suspect Burma
    Guys, maybe it is already time to drop your cork helmets into trach can? Altogether with colonial names? Please respect nation and chosen by this nation country name - Myanmar.
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

5. User who gave Like to post:

billyhouston (April 13th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Guys, maybe it is already time to drop your cork helmets into trach can? Altogether with colonial names? Please respect nation and chosen by this nation country name - Myanmar.
    It’s not just the British...it’s a super power too!
    https://www.state.gov/u-s-relations-with-burma/

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post

Please respect nation and chosen by this nation country name - Myanmar.
    Not that it matters...BUT:

The military government changed the country's name to “Myanmar” in 1989, although to the Burmese people, it changed nothing, because in the Burmese language, “Myanmar” is simply the more formal version of “Burma”.

Since then, this name change has been the subject of controversies and mixed incidences of adoption, and much of the world still shows defiance of the junta refusing to use the new name. For instance, the United States government continues to use the name “Burma.

Personally, I prefer using the name "Burma" out of respect for the Burmese people. The military junta has done to earn the respect of anyone.

8. 4 Users gave Like to post:

goji (April 12th, 2021), Ninodf1 (April 13th, 2021), Ruthrieston (April 13th, 2021), TaoR (April 13th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by dinagam View Post
    The title of this thread invokes images of healthy and proud young men ready to defend their country, images that I can't get out of my mind...
    Odd how they do "military exercises" in underwear.
    Yet anyone visiting Cupidol earlier in 2021 would be fobbed off with fully dressed boys.

As for Burma, well both Burma and Myanmar have been in use for a very long time, long before colonialism. I'll carry on using the word Burma until a DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED government decides to change the name.

10. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (April 13th, 2021)

Liked

"Personally, I prefer using the name "Burma" out of respect for the Burmese people." .... and therein lies the problem.

First of all, the name 'Myanma' goes back to before the days of Marco Polo and the name 'Burma' was given to part of the present day country by the colonial power. Respecting the Burmese people disrespects the 40% of the population who are not Burmese and belong to more than 130 ethnicities.

"Bertil Lintner, a veteran journalist who has been covering Myanmar for decades, said what the Tatmadaw (military) was doing in urban areas now is “plunder and pure criminal behavior” and equivalent to what they have done for decades in the parts of the country where ethnic minorities live."

Burmese is both a language and an ethnicity and the Tatmadawgyi is mostly comprised of Burmese. It's not just a case of atrocities against the Rohingya in Rakhine but, for the past 60 or more years, against all those in the ethnic areas. At the moment, while attention is elsewhere, they are committing what can only be described as genocide against the Kachin people. My own partner, an ethnic Shan, fled the country because he didn't feel that working as a human mine-sweeper for the Burmese Army was life enhancing.

Technically speaking the country of Burma existed only from 1 April 1937 until 4 Januay 1948. If you must use 'Burma' please respect the ethnics, who have suffered so much at the hands of the Burmese, and use the full name "The Union of Burma".

Thank you.

12. 4 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (April 13th, 2021), dinagam (April 13th, 2021), Dodger (April 13th, 2021), splinter1949 (April 13th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by billyhouston View Post
    "Personally, I prefer using the name "Burma" out of respect for the Burmese people." .... and therein lies the problem.

First of all, the name 'Myanma' goes back to before the days of Marco Polo and the name 'Burma' was given to part of the present day country by the colonial power. Respecting the Burmese people disrespects the 40% of the population who are not Burmese and belong to more than 130 ethnicities.

"Bertil Lintner, a veteran journalist who has been covering Myanmar for decades, said what the Tatmadaw (military) was doing in urban areas now is “plunder and pure criminal behavior” and equivalent to what they have done for decades in the parts of the country where ethnic minorities live."

Burmese is both a language and an ethnicity and the Tatmadawgyi is mostly comprised of Burmese. It's not just a case of atrocities against the Rohingya in Rakhine but, for the past 60 or more years, against all those in the ethnic areas. At the moment, while attention is elsewhere, they are committing what can only be described as genocide against the Kachin people. My own partner, an ethnic Shan, fled the country because he didn't feel that working as a human mine-sweeper for the Burmese Army was life enhancing.

Technically speaking the country of Burma existed only from 1 April 1937 until 4 Januay 1948. If you must use 'Burma' please respect the ethnics, who have suffered so much at the hands of the Burmese, and use the full name "The Union of Burma".

Thank you.
    Much appreciated Brad.

That was both interesting from a historical perspective, and insightful.

"The Union of Burma" it is.

Liked

Re: Burma – Myanmar

I'm sure the people currently living in fear during the militar lockdown and those being murdered will really appreciate that we're bickering over the proper name of their country on an online forum to show solidarity.

A friend of mine in Canada is decent online friends with a guy over there, they talk daily, my friend collects online payments for him as he does graphic design work online, then forwards him the payments via Western Union. Well, that was until the military coup, now getting him his money has turned out to be quite difficult.

Anyway, guess it's pretty bad over there. Apparently, the opposition force has already went so far as to draw up a new constituion, have plans for a public execution of the military generals, etc. Naturally, that's all assuming they achieve their objective of overthrowing the military.