Thread: Thailand Covid At Record High!

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Re: Thailand Covid At Record High!

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I'm afraid this is going to get really ugly!

The Government "blinked".

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Did they really think that vaccinations weren't important? So why has mass-vaccination not been a priority? Other states began it months ago. There's enough money for submarines and Rolexes for ministers so it can't be lack of funds. Surely.
    Hard it started three months ago, Thailand may well have been ready open its doors soon.

4. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (April 20th, 2021)

Liked

The date for opening Thailand just keeps getting pushed further back.

I've given up on a trip this year - it isn't going to happen.

I'm aiming for mid to late 2022.

6. User who gave Like to post:

Blueskytoday (April 20th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    I've given up on a trip this year - it isn't going to happen.
    I'm aiming for mid to late 2022.
    Considering the Thai side of things, there's 8 whole months between now and the end of the year.
    The current wave in Thailand will have plenty of time to go up to whatever peak it reaches, then come down again. If Thailand gets it's act together and manufactures some of that vaccine it licensed, that will also help the downtrend later in the year. I don't expect a barrier from the Thai side.

Of course, home country regulations come into it. When the leaders of Australia, UK etc are currently creating penal colonies by preventing outbound travel, that also needs to be considered. I imagine UK restrictions will be lifted. If not, I'll investigate the loopholes later in the year.

The way forward is to be prepared to book a trip at short notice. I still expect to be in Thailand again this year. Not certain, but well over 50% probability.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Looking at the above 2 posts from my viewpoint as someone living in Pattaya I think a447’s estimate is more realistic. The government has not been exactly proactive in securing vaccines other than 500 thousand doses of the China vaccine and has given exclusive rights to a Thai Company which has never manufactured a vaccine before to make enough AstraZeneca vaccine for the entire population.
    Frankly, for the first time since the virus emerged in Thailand I am nervous, I am also very much aware of the financial devastation that is occurring. The question is not so much when to return but what will be left standing upon your return.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    The question is not so much when to return but what will be left standing upon your return.
    Probably ten times the number of money boys as usual.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    Looking at the above 2 posts from my viewpoint as someone living in Pattaya I think a447’s estimate is more realistic. The government has not been exactly proactive in securing vaccines other than 500 thousand doses of the China vaccine and has given exclusive rights to a Thai Company which has never manufactured a vaccine before to make enough AstraZeneca vaccine for the entire population.
    Frankly, for the first time since the virus emerged in Thailand I am nervous, I am also very much aware of the financial devastation that is occurring. The question is not so much when to return but what will be left standing upon your return.
    We shall see. I heard similar things from expats last year, yet two of us still made it to Thailand.

Looking out of your window in Pattaya gives you a better idea of how Pattaya is today, but to figure out how it will be in 8 months time requires a lot of additional open minded analysis, considering much more information.

You're right to question what will be standing then, but I have a simple answer to that. It's beyond my control and therefore I won't get stressed about it. I have sympathy for the business owners, but they have the stress, not me.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post
    Did they really think that vaccinations weren't important? So why has mass-vaccination not been a priority? Other states began it months ago. There's enough money for submarines and Rolexes for ministers so it can't be lack of funds. Surely.
    Hard it started three months ago, Thailand may well have been ready open its doors soon.
    Canada with all its wealth can't even procure vaccines, and that's after ordering far more per-capita than any other country, so what chance do you think Thailand has?

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Canada with all its wealth can't even procure vaccines, and that's after ordering far more per-capita than any other country, so what chance do you think Thailand has?
    Unfortunately any satisfactory discussion of vaccine production and competence in Thailand is going to run smack up against the Forum prohibitions on any breach of the all-pervasive and legally-buttressed personality cult.