Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Thailand Covid At Record High!

Liked

Re: Thailand Covid At Record High!

Quote Originally Posted by Blueskytoday View Post
    IF this is true??? lets hope but this number is way way too low in my opinion......
    Nope, I believe it. FOr a while there Laos was getting over 100 cases per-day, then it kept dropping, was around 50 per-day for a bit, down to ~20 per-day, and I just seen that 3 number so thought I would post it.

I'm quite a bit more emotionally invested in Laos, so keep track of it closely.

I believe it, because when Laos says lockdown, it's not a mere suggestion. It's not like Canada where a "lockdown" means the head doctor of the government comes on TV and asks, "please stay at home". In Laos police get stationed every where and you are not going where you're not supposed to.

My guy went to his village for Songkran, then the outbreak hit, and he's been stuck there since, lol. He's not really allowed to leave the village, so there he sits bored unable to even look for work.

No Platformed
    Liked

IF this is true??? lets hope but this number is way way too low in my opinion......
    Statistics in SE Asia at best represent trends rather than actual numbers.

No Platformed
    Liked

Thailand recorded 4,528 new cases of COVID-19 including 1,902 cases in prisons and 2,626 in the general population

Liked

I have a young friend in Laos who received his initial vaccination about two weeks ago. They do seem to be far ahead of Thailand in that regard.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by StevieWonders View Post
    Statistics in SE Asia at best represent trends rather than actual numbers.
    Indeed. But, far from seeing a downward trend as hoped for in the past few weeks, the figures throughout May have remained stubbornly around +/-2,000/day. If anything, there has been an increasing trend, but nothing nearly as steep, and certainly not the exponential increase that has been seen in many other countries.

By comparison, just down the road in Malaysia they have been recording figures of 3,000~6,000 per day and yesterday recorded a record high at 9,000. And, for goji's interest, the population of Malaysia is 32.6m compared to Thailand's 69.9m

6. User who gave Like to post:

StevieWonders (May 30th, 2021)

Liked

All I see today is 5,485 cases. How many general, and how many prisoners?

Liked

What I find surprising is that Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam were all held up as virtual role models last year of how to contain the virus. Now all three countries are battling major outbreaks. A friend in Danang just told me that his city is yet again locked down. I realise that Prayut overruled his medical team by allowing Songkran to go ahead and have millions of people wandering around the country spreading the virus. Yet why on earth would he agree to that in the knowledge that the practical and medical costs would just keep rising way beyond any political advantage when they could have been far better controlled with the country perhaps opening earlier?

Taiwan is in a much better situation but again political leadership seems to have overruled the medical experts. With the island shut off from the world for most of last year, it takes the insane decision that the quarantine period for airline pilots who are in and out of the country on a regular basis could be reduced from 14 days to 7 days, then 5 days and finally 3 days. Of course they had to be quarantined in the airport hotel, but the control was so lax, two EVA airlines pilots got out of the hotel for a night on the town with their girlfriends. These guys were fired and fined $10,000. Now China Airlines is shut down for two weeks because its on board staff also brought back the virus. And now the entire island is locked down with the population experiencing for the first time what most of the world experienced last year.

How is it that those who make such decisions are so idiotic?

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    All I see today is 5,485 cases. How many general, and how many prisoners?
    Sorry Matt

A big jump today - 5,485 new cases of COVID-19: 1,953 cases in prisons and 3,582 in the general population

10. User who gave Like to post:

cdnmatt (May 31st, 2021)

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Armando View Post
    How is it that those who make such decisions are so idiotic?
    That’s what being human means. India is a clusterfuck because having got their pandemic under control the prime minister decided to hold huge election rallies. In Malaysia it was the breaking of the daily fast during Ramadan. In Chile apparently it was “vaccination will solve all our problems” so they opened up in anticipation. People are stupid - get over it.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by StevieWonders View Post
    Sorry Matt

A big jump today - 5,485 new cases of COVID-19: 1,953 cases in prisons and 3,582 in the general population

That sucks. Although it's not showing on my end yet, was told Laos cut its rate down to a third of yesterday to only 1 today. Cool.