Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Phuket Sandbox open; TAT awards “Amazing Dodgems” moniker

No Platformed
    Liked

Phuket Sandbox open; TAT awards “Amazing Dodgems” moniker

As I predicted, the Phuket Sandbox is now open. The naysayers - including a447 and especially Dodgems - failed to understand from the outset that it's merely Phase One of a multi-phase re-opening. To have delayed the phase would threaten the entire timetable, and the Thai government simply was not going to let that happen. There are those who argue it won't be a "success" measured by the numbers who arrive. That's not the yardstick the government is aiming for. They want a sandbox within which they can tweak, abandon or expand the settings as real-life events dictate. They've even left themselves at "out" - 90+ new COVID infections in a 7-day period.

Will it be a success in any sense? As I've said several times the Chou Enlai answer is the most apposite at the moment - "too soon to tell". I hope so but in the face of the Delta variant I'm sceptical, especially of the Pattaya and Chiang Mai Sandboxes kicking off in September/October.

In recognition of Dodgems' unique contribution to the successful opening of the Phuket Sandbox the TAT is extending the use of the Amazing Thailand slogan so that he will henceforth be known as "Amazing Dodgems" In the meantime here's a selection from Dodgems' Greatest Hits:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodger
    Once this third-wave Thailand's encountering plateaus and/or starts to decline, and the majority of the Thai population is vaccinated, these reopening's have a chance of working. Until then it's all window-dressing and TAT's efforts will remain gridlocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodger
    Phuket Sandbox details provided in news releases continue to stress Phuket's headstrong determination to re-open to tourists "quarantine-free" on July 1st, although, to date, only 50% of the population has received vaccinations (we think), and the percentage of those who still need a second dose is not clearly shown in Phuket data. Lots of gaps in the reporting and the data as we've come to expect.

In any event, and I know others may disagree, I see July 1st as being a real long shot just based on the arithmetic. Evan if they extend the opening until September (which they'll probably end up doing), it will all hinge on the status of the covid surge Kingdom-wide, and the availability of an effective vaccine(s).
    https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showt...x-update/page3 post #30

It's been a consistent drumbeat from a poster who claims to understand QA but clearly doesn't understand risk assessment or critical path management. First of all, there were multiple posts saying "it'll never happen". Then "The vaccine they're using will be ineffective anyway". Then "It will be delayed". And now?

Now - today - 200+ International passengers are scheduled to arrive.

Liked

Re: Phuket Sandbox open; TAT awards “Amazing Dodgems” moniker

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post
    I think that these statements about multiple posters, in repeated breach of guidelines, should be deleted or at least moved to the hydra thread pronto . . .
    Posts unrelated to the topic have been moved to the existing thread, More hydra talk, which can be found in the Feedback Forum by clicking on the following link:
    https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showt...ore-hydra-talk
    Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

No Platformed
    Liked

Now the children are playing in a different Sandbox, here’s a firsthand account from one of yesterday’s arrivals-

https://madamemamuang.com/2021/07/01/phuket-airport/

No Platformed
    Liked

And the cartoonists have their say (he must have read my OP)

A1E2F03B-E838-4784-9859-F273E7095324.jpg

No Platformed
    Liked

And the government’s message - “This is worth it”. Let’s hope so.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...ning-kicks-off

Liked

Remove the posts regarding multiple handles and Brad's complaint and what you have is steviewonders discussing his own thread with himself.

7. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (July 2nd, 2021), goji (July 3rd, 2021), StevieWonders (July 2nd, 2021)

No Platformed
    Liked

I’m looking for an intelligent conversation.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    Remove the posts regarding multiple handles and Brad's complaint and what you have is steviewonders discussing his own thread with himself.
    Actually what you have, in the absence of intelligent conversation, is some informative links to how the Phuket Sandbox is working on it's first day, including first hand experience. They confirm that flights arrived from Doha, Singapore, Israel and UAE.

For anyone considering going through the sandbox system, they were useful to read.

10. User who gave Like to post:

mr giggles (July 2nd, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by StevieWonders View Post
    I’m looking for an intelligent conversation.
    You called?

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Todays update from the Bangkok Post. Particularly liked the "souvenirs" offered to the arrivals!

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...s-almost-1-000

Also Thaiger update.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tour...d-restrictions