Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Defamatory language?

No Platformed
    Liked

Defamatory language?

Ah yes the same Russell T Davies whose recent sanctimonious views are that only sodomites can truly portray “gay” characters. Yet both Queer As Folk and Cucumber have non-sodomites portraying the same-sex attracted. I’m leaving lovely Freddie Fix out of that; he admits to being bisexual.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Cucumber.

Steve - on a serious note for a second - would you perhaps consider maybe stopping using your well worn phrase "sodomites" on the board perhaps ?

I know like most things it's usually used for "effect" by you or or to try and get a reaction etc, or perhaps even maybe just a little bit of internalised homophobia at your own part, I dont know which.

I'm sure you'll counter with "but it's correct" etc etc and ok we could have "that" discussion all day long, but I'm as fairly sure that you too are fully aware that the phrase is now seen as being widely considered a derogatory term in the gay community and surely we've all heard and suffered enough with both internalised homophobia and blatant homophobia from society without us reinforcing that to each other, even if just "for effect" here on our own gay message boards.

I do genuinely mean this post by the way and so would ask that you consider perhaps "not" using such phrases going forward? If you still chose to then so be it I guess, I tried. But here, or any other gay "safe space" really shouldn't be the place for it anymore, even if just for effect ( well I feel anyway).

Should you have any doubt as to my and many other peoples view about that though I've posted a few links re that too to help. I'll leave it up to you and wont comment further re this subject anymore then. Thanks.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-...ensive/7852736
    Why is it offensive?

"Well the word sodomy promotes stigma, prejudice and discrimination and society has moved on and recognised that all people are worthy of respect, regardless of what they may or may not do legally in the privacy of their own bedroom," Brisbane LGBTIQ Action Group convenor Phil Browne told ABC News.
    "It's a word that has been demonised, as a weapon to promote intolerance against gay people."

"DEFAMATORY LANGUAGE
    "fag," "faggot," "dyke," "homo," "sodomite," and similar epithets
    The criteria for using these derogatory terms should be the same as those applied to vulgar epithets used to target other groups: they should not be used except in a direct quote that reveals the bias of the person quoted"
    https://www.glaad.org/reference/offensive

3. 3 Users gave Like to post:

GWMinUS (April 10th, 2021), poshglasgow (May 10th, 2021), Ruthrieston (April 8th, 2021)

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    Steve - on a serious note for a second - would you perhaps consider maybe stopping using your well worn phrase "sodomites" on the board perhaps ?

I know like most things it's usually used for "effect" by you or or to try and get a reaction etc, or perhaps even maybe just a little bit of internalised homophobia at your own part, I dont know which.

I'm sure you'll counter with "but it's correct" etc etc and ok we could have "that" discussion all day long, but I'm as fairly sure that you too are fully aware that the phrase is now seen as being widely considered a derogatory term in the gay community and surely we've all heard and suffered enough with both internalised homophobia and blatant homophobia from society without us reinforcing that to each other, even if just "for effect" here on our own gay message boards.

I do genuinely mean this post by the way and so would ask that you consider perhaps "not" using such phrases going forward? If you still chose to then so be it I guess, I tried. But here, or any other gay "safe space" really shouldn't be the place for it anymore, even if just for effect ( well I feel anyway).

Should you have any doubt as to my and many other peoples view about that though I've posted a few links re that too to help. I'll leave it up to you and wont comment further re this subject anymore then. Thanks.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-...ensive/7852736
    Why is it offensive?

"Well the word sodomy promotes stigma, prejudice and discrimination and society has moved on and recognised that all people are worthy of respect, regardless of what they may or may not do legally in the privacy of their own bedroom," Brisbane LGBTIQ Action Group convenor Phil Browne told ABC News.
    "It's a word that has been demonised, as a weapon to promote intolerance against gay people."

"DEFAMATORY LANGUAGE
    "fag," "faggot," "dyke," "homo," "sodomite," and similar epithets
    The criteria for using these derogatory terms should be the same as those applied to vulgar epithets used to target other groups: they should not be used except in a direct quote that reveals the bias of the person quoted"
    https://www.glaad.org/reference/offensive
    Quote Originally Posted by NIrish guy
    Is there any need for that, what does it add to the board? FFS try to stop it, it doesn't impress anyone and it's you who ends up coming across looking like a knob, not the other person.

Liked

Re: Defamatory language?

I like "sodomite", it has an aristocratic ring to it. You're a bugger, I'm a sodomite.

6. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (April 8th, 2021), dinagam (April 8th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by StevieWonders View Post

I'll take that as a No then, ok, up to you. I tried. But just so you know it IS very uncool these days in general - but hey you know that already of course, ok, crack on then if you must. Says more about you than anyone else I guess. :-(

8. 2 Users gave Like to post:

GWMinUS (April 10th, 2021), Ruthrieston (April 8th, 2021)

No Platformed
    Liked

I'll take that as a No then, ok, up to you. I tried. But just so you know it IS very uncool these days in general - but hey you know that already of course, ok, crack on then if you must. Says more about you than anyone else I guess. :-(
    Thank god - only a single* paragraph of self-righteous twaddle. There’s a queer movement aimed at recapturing “hate” words for our own use, starting with “queer” itself.

https://www.cjr.org/language_corner/queer.php
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reappropriation

* My threshold of boredom is easily triggered by posts of yours that exceed one paragraph

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Bullshit and you know it, that’s NOT why YOU use such words. But ok, you carry on there if it makes you happy.

No Platformed
    Liked

Bullshit and you know it, that’s NOT why YOU use such words. But ok, you carry on there if it makes you happy.
    Ah, the pursuit of happiness - it’s embedded in the US Declaration of Independence. Confucius and Socrates both approved of it. Even in Northern Ireland. But not when reading one of your multi-paragraph posts.

https://www.pursuit-of-happiness.org/

Liked

It is sad the Forum even lets "Stevie" post his drivel.
    I just keep putting him on the IGNORED LIST...

13. 4 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (April 10th, 2021), francois (April 10th, 2021), goji (April 10th, 2021), Ruthrieston (April 11th, 2021)