Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Cucumber.

Liked

Cucumber.

I missed this when it first showed up in 2015, it's by Russel T Davies. He smashed the window with QaF and Cucumber continues the ram raid.

Centred around 46 year old gay man Henry Best and those who reside or venture into his life. Full of full on sex scenes but it's the dialogue that is the real star. Davies takes us from laughter to thoughtful to melancholy within a few sentences. He knows his audience. The references to the characters past will resonate with us all. Packed with little vignettes (episode 4 takes a bow to Hopper's Nighthawks) it snaps along. For me it hits the peak with the trysts that for whatever reason just don't work out. I've had a fair few of those and handling them can be a nightmare. Overall once again with Davies it's an enhanced and stylised version of a world that exists briefly but it's his knowledge of the human spirit's workings and weaknesses that sets him apart. Recommended.

2. User who gave Like to post:

Jellybean (April 8th, 2021)

Liked

Re: Cucumber.

The original thread on this show.

https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showt...16905-Cucumber

No Platformed
    Liked

Ah yes the same Russell T Davies whose recent sanctimonious views are that only sodomites can truly portray “gay” characters. Yet both Queer As Folk and Cucumber have non-sodomites portraying the same-sex attracted. I’m leaving lovely Freddie Fix out of that; he admits to being bisexual.

Liked

A copy of post #3 and some other posts have been moved to a new thread under the title, Defamatory language?

To contribute to this new topic please click on the following link:

https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showt...atory-language
    Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by StevieWonders View Post
    Ah yes the same Russell T Davies whose recent sanctimonious views are that only sodomites can truly portray “gay” characters. Yet both Queer As Folk and Cucumber have non-sodomites portraying the same-sex attracted. I’m leaving lovely Freddie Fix out of that; he admits to being bisexual.
    There wasn't anything sanctimonious in his comments. His point was that wanted to create a queer ensemble cast to be the queer group of characters that he created, as they would better understand what it felt like to be homosexual in the early days off aids. I think it worked pretty well.

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post
    There wasn't anything sanctimonious in his comments. His point was that wanted to create a queer ensemble cast to be the queer group of characters that he created, as they would better understand what it felt like to be homosexual in the early days off aids. I think it worked pretty well.
    Of course - people who weren’t alive at the time could make the experience of living then real - isn’t that the classic definition of any actor’s job?