Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alan Turing – Bank of England £50 banknote

Liked

Re: Alan Turing – Bank of England £50 banknote

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    There is also a memorial to Alan Turing in Sackville Park in Manchester, which for those who don't know the area is right in the heart of the gay village there and accordingly it's well tended to and very popular for pics etc during PRIDE etc as well as throughout the rest of the year too.
    Thanks NIrish-guy for posting the photos of the Alan Turing memorial in Sackville Park, Manchester. I don’t think I was aware of the memorial, despite going to Manchester many times; sadly my last visit to Manchester was in August 2001 for Pride, a year before my cancer diagnosis, hence why I’ve never been back.

On checking the Internet I noted that the memorial was unveiled on June 23, 2001, it was therefore there during my last visit. But I honestly cannot remember if I saw it or not, probably not, as it was a pretty hectic and, dare I say, hedonistic weekend devoted to watching the parade, shopping, eating out at restaurants, going to pubs and clubs before returning to London very much the worse for wear.

The mention of the Alan Turing memorial reminded me that I fell in love with Manchester back in 1982 when I travelled down from Aberdeen, a posting I was not at all happy with. I went there to attend three, two week training courses at a training centre in Chorlton Street, the street next to Sackville Street in the gay quarter.

My first hotel was not at all convenient as it was some distance from the training centre and involved taking buses (or taxis in the evening). On my second visit, for convenience, I decided to book a hotel closer to the training centre and booked into a nearby gay hotel called, The Rembrandt, on Sackville Street, in the heart of the gay area.

Back in 1982 there were no equal opportunities for homosexuals or anti-gay discrimination policies in the British Civil Service. I was therefore very much in the closet. On our first day, I’d forgotten that the tutors asked the course attendees to say which hotel they were staying at. No comment was made as each attendee mentioned the name and telephone number of their hotel that is until it came to me. When I informed the tutors that I was staying at The Rembrandt Hotel, they expressed surprise and asked if I had noticed anything strange. I felt rather embarrassed (I blushed easily in those days) and said no, I had observed nothing out of the ordinary. Of course, this aroused the interest of my fellow course attendees, which only added to my embarrassment. The tutors said they’d enquire again the next day. On the following day my choice of hotel was still preying on the tutors’ minds and they again asked me if I had noted anything strange. For a second time I advised them that all seemed well, the room and breakfast were perfectly adequate. Naturally the questioning piqued the interest of my fellow classmates and they asked what was wrong with the hotel. In reply, the tutors revealed to the class that I had chosen a gay hotel. I think they said ‘gay’ they may used the word ‘homosexual’, I can’t now remember. To save face, and the possibility of a report being sent back to my managers and it having an adverse affect on my career prospects, I’m sorry to report that I was economical with the actualité and said I was not aware that it was for gay people, I had simply chosen the hotel for its proximity to the training centre. I think the tutors accepted my story and said something like, “Better watch your back then!” to hoots of laughter from my fellow classmates. Thankfully, those days are long gone and such discriminatory behaviour would not now be tolerated in the UK.

But on a more positive note, I enjoyed Manchester gay nightlife immensely and asked our Personnel Division (the forerunner to our Human Resources department) if my transfer to Aberdeen could be changed to Manchester. My request was denied. Over several weeks of submitting lists of possible other cities I’d accept a transfer to and being continually disappointed when my requests were denied, I finally said I would accept a transfer to London – anywhere to get out of Aberdeen! My offer was immediately accepted, mainly because few of my colleagues working outside London wanted the upheaval of moving to London due to the high cost of living, high property prices, the problem of their partners having to find work and the disruption involved in changing schools for their children. I was transferred a few months later in November 1982. Looking back, moving to London was one of the best things that ever happened to me and I never regretted it for one moment. For a gay man, it felt like being a kid in a sweet shop (candy store for US members).

I did however return to Manchester many times in the following years and always stayed at The Rembrandt Hotel.

Apologies for the length of this post and for drifting off topic, but isn’t it strange what memories can be evoked at the mention of certain places or times.
    Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

2. 6 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (March 30th, 2021), Brad the Impala (March 28th, 2021), christianpfc (March 30th, 2021), francois (March 28th, 2021), gerefan2 (March 29th, 2021), mr giggles (March 30th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Ha I laughed reading your post there JB as on my last visit to the the Rem ( as I'm told it's trendily called these days ) my thoughts were "jesus this place is a bit rough" :-) as strangely in the middle of some more upmarket bars on the street it came across as something more akin to a weatherspoons, except except the clientele were a bit rougher and contained quite a few drunken straight people and butch lesbians as I recall

Saying that we stayed for more than one round so I guess we must somehow have weirdly fitted right in - or the drink was cheap, one of the two !

Liked

Ha I laughed reading your post there JB as on my last visit to the the Rem ( as I'm told it's trendily called these days ) my thoughts were "jesus this place is a bit rough" :-) as strangely in the middle of some more upmarket bars on the street it came across as something more akin to a weatherspoons, except except the clientele were a bit rougher and contained quite a few drunken straight people and butch lesbians as I recall

Saying that we stayed for more than one round so I guess we must somehow have weirdly fitted right in - or the drink was cheap, one of the two !
    Sounds like it may have gone downhill somewhat since I last stayed there in 2001 NIrish guy. But hey, there's nothing wrong with a bit rough now and again, just ask latintopxxx, although I draw the line at butch lesbians! (speaking of which, that brings back memories of the now closed Black Cap in Camden, where a lesbian brawl was almost guaranteed every night when the drag queen Regina Fong appeared). Lol!

If my memory serves me well, there were six of us in our group up from London for Manchester Pride. Three of us stayed at The Rembrandt, myself and another friend stayed at the main hotel and one of my friends stayed at the newer and, as it turned out, better appointed annex. We didn't know it was much better than the main hotel until we visited him in his room and saw we had drawn the short straws.

My other three friends stayed at the slightly more upmarket Britannia Hotel, round the corner from Sackville Street on Portland Street. Looking back, maybe we all should have chosen the Britannia, but The Rembrandt was an old favourite of mine, the closest to the bars and that’s probably why we chose it.
    Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

5. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (March 30th, 2021)

Liked

Speaking of gay icons, it was the late, great Leigh Bowery's birthday this week, he would have been 60.

Boy George said he saw Bowery's outrageous performances a number of times, and that it "never ceased to impress or revolt"

Liked

We should not forget that Alan Turing's name has also been informally appended to a section of the 2017 UK Policing and Crime Act which pardons all who had been found guilty of most homosexual acts under the old Victorian era law. Around 50,000 men were thereafter posthumously pardoned. However, certain activities of living gay men were excluded from the Act, including cottaging (importuning in a public place), rape and under age sex.

Although parliament had declared its willingness to pass such a law, it took a lottery to achieve it. Each year, there is a lottery amongst members of parliament with the winners being allowed to introduce bills. It was a Scottish National Party MP John Nicholson who won the ballot and his Pardon Bill to provide blanket pardons was debated. Unfortunately the government chose to water down the provisions of the bill and include them as part of their larger bill Crime Bill. This has sadly made it much more difficult for those still living to gain their pardons due to the requirement of extensive bureaucratic paperwork and background checks. Within two years of the passage of the Act, only 200 applications for a pardon had been approved. 71% had been turned down. I am sure Alan Turing would be embarrassed to have his name informally linked to any Act that did not make it far easier for living gay men to receive their pardons.

8. User who gave Like to post:

Ruthrieston (April 2nd, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Armando View Post
    We should not forget that Alan Turing's name has also been informally appended to a section of the 2017 UK Policing and Crime Act which pardons all who had been found guilty of most homosexual acts under the old Victorian era law. Around 50,000 men were thereafter posthumously pardoned. However, certain activities of living gay men were excluded from the Act, including cottaging (importuning in a public place), rape and under age sex.

Although parliament had declared its willingness to pass such a law, it took a lottery to achieve it. Each year, there is a lottery amongst members of parliament with the winners being allowed to introduce bills. It was a Scottish National Party MP John Nicholson who won the ballot and his Pardon Bill to provide blanket pardons was debated. Unfortunately the government chose to water down the provisions of the bill and include them as part of their larger bill Crime Bill. This has sadly made it much more difficult for those still living to gain their pardons due to the requirement of extensive bureaucratic paperwork and background checks. Within two years of the passage of the Act, only 200 applications for a pardon had been approved. 71% had been turned down. I am sure Alan Turing would be embarrassed to have his name informally linked to any Act that did not make it far easier for living gay men to receive their pardons.
    Too late for the ones who were executed.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by mr giggles View Post
    Too late for the ones who were executed.
    And whilst that thankfully was 186 years ago now we should also be mindful of the 70+ Countries who still actively criminalise LGBT sex between adults, or worse the 12 Countries who still have the death penalty in place for such "crimes'. When people ask why is there still a need for PRIDE parades etc here is just one answer to that question !

The British Empire and their Victorian laws they left behind in Africa etc still have a lot to answer for and they should now perhaps be doing much more to fix the problem that they left behind as they departed / were removed from their Empire.

Here's a link giving a little more information on the offending Countries - lest we forget.

https://www.humandignitytrust.org/lg...lter=crim_lgbt

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiewa...ty-as-disease/

11. 2 Users gave Like to post:

mr giggles (April 9th, 2021), Ruthrieston (April 8th, 2021)

Liked

And whilst that thankfully was 186 years ago now we should also be mindful of the 70+ Countries who still actively criminalise LGBT sex between adults, or worse the 12 Countries who still have the death penalty in place for such "crimes'. When people ask why is there still a need for PRIDE parades etc here is just one answer to that question !

The British Empire and their Victorian laws they left behind in Africa etc still have a lot to answer for and they should now perhaps be doing much more to fix the problem that they left behind as they departed / were removed from their Empire.

Here's a link giving a little more information on the offending Countries - lest we forget.

https://www.humandignitytrust.org/lg...lter=crim_lgbt

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiewa...ty-as-disease/
    Irish, I cannot blame the British Victorian moral code, as the same horrific codes existed with the French, The Germans, The Belgians and worst of all with the Spanish and Portuguese. It is called 16th to 19th century Christianity, and it is still practiced in its most primitive forms in many places in America

13. 3 Users gave Like to post:

dinagam (April 9th, 2021), goji (June 10th, 2021), mr giggles (April 9th, 2021)

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Khor tose View Post
    Irish, I cannot blame the British Victorian moral code, as the same horrific codes existed with the French, The Germans, The Belgians and worst of all with the Spanish and Portuguese. It is called 16th to 19th century Christianity, and it is still practiced in its most primitive forms in many places in America
    Did anyone mention Islam?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

alant.jpg

On this day in 1954, University of Manchester hero Alan Turing took his own life, two years after he was prosecuted for gross indecency during a time when homosexuality was illegal in the UK. He was chemically castrated for his sexuality just a few short years after his groundbreaking ingenuity and determination saved tens of millions of lives during World War II. He must never be forgotten.

16. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (June 11th, 2021), Ruthrieston (June 11th, 2021)