Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alan Turing – Bank of England £50 banknote

Liked

Alan Turing – Bank of England £50 banknote

Today the Bank of England revealed the design of the new £50 banknote and feature’s the Bletchley Park WWII codebreaker Alan Turing on the reverse. It will come into circulation on June 23, 2021, which coincides with the anniversary of Turing’s birthday.

Alan Turing was prosecuted in 1952 for homosexual acts and accepted chemical castration treatment as an alternative to prison. He died in 1954 from cyanide poisoning. In 2013 he was granted a posthumous Royal pardon.

BoE01.jpg

BoE02.jpg

New Alan Turing £50 note design is revealed

By Kevin Peachey

Personal finance correspondent, BBC News

The design of the Bank of England's new £50 note, featuring the computer pioneer and codebreaker Alan Turing, has been revealed.

The banknote will enter circulation on 23 June, which would have been the mathematician's birthday.

It will be the last of the Bank's collection to switch from paper to polymer. In keeping with Alan Turing's work, the set is its most secure yet.

Old paper £50 notes will still be accepted in shops for some time.

Why is Alan Turing on the note?

The work of Alan Turing, who was educated in Sherborne, Dorset, helped accelerate Allied efforts to read German Naval messages enciphered with the Enigma machine. His work is said to have been key to shortening World War Two and saving lives.

Less celebrated is the pivotal role he played in the development of early computers, first at the National Physical Laboratory and later at the University of Manchester . . .
    For the full article see the BBC News website:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56503741

For further information see the Bank of England website:
    https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/news...-note-unveiled

Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

2. 3 Users gave Like to post:

goji (March 26th, 2021), Khor tose (March 26th, 2021), StevieWonders (March 26th, 2021)

Liked

Re: Alan Turing – Bank of England £50 banknote

Less celebrated is the pivotal role he played in the development of early computers, first at the National Physical Laboratory and later at the University of Manchester . . .
    What are they talking about? Majority of people in the tech industry know what the Turing test is, and it's still in use today. Here's a fun infotainment video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLG98G4JBc0

Nonetheless, never knew he was gay. Astounds me that they can look at someone as brilliant as him, throw all that out the window, and say he's basically sub-human due to being gay. Blows my mind...

Forum's veteran
    Liked

...humans are inherently bad, evil, feral...6mil jews...population 'exchanges" between greece and turkey...india & pakistan...

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx View Post
    ...humans are inherently bad, evil, feral...6mil jews...population 'exchanges" between greece and turkey...india & pakistan...
    There you go again plucking figures from the air wrt to the 6mil jews... I bet the real victims are turning in their graves and hollering at the apologists... You have conveniently left out the almost total decimation of the natives of the entire length of America from the Inuits of Canada and the natives of Tierra del Fuego at the southern tip of Chile at the hand of the invading Europeans and their sodomite priests.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Majority of people in the tech industry know what the Turing test is
    before even getting into the understanding of this among the hoi polloi, rather than just saying [citation required] for the techies is one allowed to just refer to Wikipedia - The Turing test

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Nonetheless, never knew he was gay
    where have you been all your life - even the Bangkok Post included a rainbow flag in their image! anyway a good biography would help here - Alan Turing: The Enigma of Intelligence by Andrew Hodges

the book gets a bit bogged down in the maths at times but this can usually be skipped over and is generally very interesting reading, from his relationships at school then at Bletchley Park then around the world and eventually in Manchester, the movie based on it - The Imitation Game - gets a bit superficial at times but is still worth a watch
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

There is also a memorial to Alan Turing in Sackville Park in Manchester, which for those who don't know the area is right in the heart of the gay village there and accordingly it's well tended to and very popular for pics etc during PRIDE etc as well as throughout the rest of the year too.

altun1.jpgalatur2.jpg
    altur3.jpg

8. 4 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (March 27th, 2021), Khor tose (March 26th, 2021), splinter1949 (March 27th, 2021), TaoR (March 27th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    There is also a memorial to Alan Turing in Sackville Park in Manchester, which for those who don't know the area is right in the heart of the gay village there and accordingly it's well tended to and very popular for pics etc during PRIDE etc as well as throughout the rest of the year too.
    My post where I answered arsenal's question about what's life like for those of us who live in Britain I mentioned that.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Yes, you did indeed mention Alan's time in Manchester there, which is what put the memorial that i'd visited there several times back in my head again and thought it might be nice to post a few pics for others to see.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
    My post where I answered arsenal's question about what's life like for those of us who live in Britain I mentioned that.
    So you did, wingnut, forgive me, I'd forgotten all about your post, which can be found by clicking on the following link:
    https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showt...l=1#post273671
    Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
    Ahh apologies Wingnut, I was mistaking your post for that of Bkk above, I see the post you're referring to now that JB has linked it.