Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The UK. The view from afar.

Liked

Re: The UK. The view from afar.

Especially since Pfizer, you know... the ones who developed the vaccine so know it best, recommend second dose after 3 weeks.

Canada is in a similar spot now. I'm still waiting to see what happens with all those people who got a shot in Ontario, and due to supply problems, are going to have a huge delay in getting their second dose, maybe that 12 week or so mark.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to find out they all need three shots now, because the first one got cancelled out due to such a delay to get the second shot, making the entire round of first shots not only a complete waste, but actually harmful because now even less people will be vaccinated opposed to if they kept that second dose available.

Not to mention, having say 70% of your population ~50% immune to KoVid is going to do sweet fuck all in stopping the spread.

2. User who gave Like to post:

StevieWonders (January 31st, 2021)

No Platformed
    Liked

The New Statesman (the UK's venerable journal of (mostly) the Labour Party and the Left) has this week a lengthy article on why the punters are not, mostly, blaming Boris and HM government for any failures during these past 12 months of COVID-19 (NB: you can register your email address to read the article for free) - https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...ilure-covid-19

In The Spectator there's a different view of the impact of the EU limiting exports of vaccines (no registration required); it may have woken Remainers up to the idea that "the apex of civilisation no longer resides in Brussels. And while some prominent anti-Brexit campaigners appear to prefer to stay silent today, it appears that the EU’s continent-wide tantrum over its inability to procure vaccines has almost united the country in disgust." https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...turn-on-the-eu

4. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (January 31st, 2021)

Liked

Maybe it's just me, but isn't it a little hypocritical that folks are pissed that the EU is excercising it's sovereignty? Isn't that the UK's thing?

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but isn't it a little hypocritical that folks are pissed that the EU is excercising it's sovereignty? Isn't that the UK's thing?
    I do love your naive beliefs cdnmatt. Punters behaving logically?! Perish the thought

Liked

While Brad has made some fair points on another thread I'm sure he'll be pleased to be vaccinated ahead of 99 percent of the rest of the world. This is entirely due to Boris and his policy of buying millions of doses of every single vaccine before the first petri dish was filled with agar. Having vaccinated the population he can then donate the surplus to countries we like. Politically wise. Fucking awesome. Look at his CV. The guy wins, he just does.

8. User who gave Like to post:

goji (January 31st, 2021)

Liked

Yes, if I'm not mistaken, the biggest Conservative majority since 1987. That's a high bar, as back in 1987 we had the finest British PM of the last century.

Whilst Boris could have done better by paying for advance manufacture and stockpiling of the AZN vaccine at risk, the vaccine strategy is way a heads of most other major economies.

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    Yes, if I'm not mistaken, the biggest Conservative majority since 1987. That's a high bar, as back in 1987 we had the finest British PM of the last century.
    Right, wingnut, your job is to determine whether the British PM in 1987 was finer than the British PM in 1943 or even the British PM in 1936

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by StevieWonders View Post
    Right, wingnut, your job is to determine whether the British PM in 1987 was finer than the British PM in 1943 or even the British PM in 1936
    Is that the opening line from Mission Impossible?? I don't understand.

12. User who gave Like to post:

Zebedee (January 31st, 2021)

Liked

600000 vaccinated yesterday. That EU woman backtracked completely on the Irish border, quite possibly after the Irish PM or someone told her quietly that any dictum from Brussels would be quietly ignored. Now she's saying that the most vulnerable should get the vaccine ahead of the non vulnerable UK citizens. Unlikely that Boris will agree to that. The story of how Britain got a head in the vaccination sweepstake makes interesting reading.

14. User who gave Like to post:

Andaman! (February 1st, 2021)

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    600000 vaccinated yesterday. That EU woman backtracked completely on the Irish border, quite possibly after the Irish PM or someone told her quietly ...
    Might that person possibly be your hero, Boris Johnston? https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-h...n-end-johnson/

I realise that this is of course secondhand news, not something provided firsthand by your only forum pal actually in the UK, wingnut, but into every life a little rain must fall.

16. User who gave Like to post:

wingnut (February 2nd, 2021)