Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
There's a graph somewhere in the Pfizer results that shows the vaccine is pretty effective from 10 days after the first jab.
So government policy to carry on dishing out first doses is sound.
Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
I'm not a doctor or anything, but... yeah, that's kinda the point. I'm not a doctor, and neither are the politicians.

I'm pretty sure Pfizer didn't put out a two dose regiment just for shits and giggles. I'll listen to the guys who made the vaccine moreso than politicians.
As far as I can tell cdnmatt, the decision to extend the second dose of the vaccine from the Pfizer-BioNTech recommended 6 weeks to 12 weeks was not that of politicians, but of the UK Government’s medical advisers, but it has been criticised by other health professionals.

The following article from the MailOnline dated 23 January 2021 quotes Professor Jonathan Van-Tam, the Deputy Chief Medical Officer for England, as follows:

Prof Van-Tam also hit back at doctors who have criticised the decision to extend the gap between the first and second doses of the vaccine to 12 weeks.

The British Medical Association has written to the chief medical officer for England urging a rethink, saying that in the case of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine a maximum gap of six weeks had been mandated by the World Heath Organisation (WHO).

Prof Van-Tam said that extending the gap was the quickest way to get a first dose to as many people as possible as quickly as possible.

He said: “But what none of these (who ask reasonable questions) will tell me is: who on the at-risk list should suffer slower access to their first dose so that someone else who’s already had one dose (and therefore most of the protection) can get a second?”

BMA council chairman Dr Chaand Nagpaul said that while he understood the “rationale” behind the decision, no other country is taking the UK’s approach.

“We think the flexibility that the WHO offers of extending to 42 days is being stretched far too much to go from six weeks right through to 12 weeks,” he said.

“Obviously the protection will not vanish after six weeks but what we do not know is what level of protection will be offered. We should not be extrapolating data where we don’t have it.”
Source: MailOnline