Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's a Sin

Liked

Re: It's a Sin

The initial error was yours. Everything else is catch up.

2. User who gave Like to post:

StevieWonders (January 19th, 2021)

No Platformed
    Liked

Ah, 5:30AM must post something for Mrs Bennett. I know, Russell T Davies is not the UK’s greatest living dramatist - https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ne-lee/617799/

Forum's veteran
    Liked

So, and getting back to the subject at hand ie the programme itself.......

Wow just wow ! Such powerful TV !

We had recorded all the episodes in one go and so settled down to watch them all back to back in one go the other night .....and while that was a great way to keep continuity etc, omg we were both in bits by the end - and if not the "end" but the endS of most episodes !

It was weird as I really enjoyed it as a series and wee Olly is just as cute as a button in it, but OMG the topic was just so harrowing and upsetting to think of all those poor people dying and worse still being treated like that as that was happening.

My Bf (who's younger and not from the UK) just couldn't understand or believe me when I told him "Yes, that WAS exactly what it was like then" and "Yes those tombstone commercials and people thinking gays were worse than the black death was EXACTLY what they were teaching in schools etc back then and are just some of the reasons people couldn't come out" ( thanks Mrs Thatcher and Section 28 !!) - so I think perhaps for the first time he realised just how far the LGBT "community" have come now in terms of whatever (half) acceptance we all enjoy now compared to back then.

Thankfully of course things both generally and certainly in terms of HIV / AIDS treatment and care have now improved massively since back in the dark days and this programme is hopefully now acting as a reminder and wake up call to the younger generation of gays out there who simply had NO IDEA both what went on back then and how people and how MANY people died. It's also hopefully a wake up call too to them as to how THEIR rights and freedoms NOW should never be taken lightly or taken for granted as what was given can of course be so easily be taken away again. I really hope so anyway.

So, if you get a chance to watch the series I recommend it - as well as ( if you're prone to shed the odd tear as I am on occasion) a tissue (or six) to hand as well, just in case.

5. User who gave Like to post:

Jellybean (February 10th, 2021)

Liked

I am in Thailand and don't have access to the series, but I would love to see it. I was a nurse in one of the largest HIV/AIDS wards at St Stephen's Hospital in Fulham, central London, about 1986. We had eighteen beds and at least nine or ten deaths every day, mostly young gay men. One of my worst memories was one day when I was making up the bed quickly for a new patient with a young nurse, 24 I think, who had only started to work on the ward that week. When I looked up I saw that his lips were turning blue, and persuaded him to get in the bed. He had PCP, one of the quickest causes of death. I tried to call his family up in Yorkshire, but they were not interested having cut him off when he came out as gay earlier that year. When my shift finished at 3.30pm I went to sit with him, and he died about 7.30pm. My own family had cut me off when I came out after qualifying as a nurse in Aberdeen that year, and I moved to London to start a new open life, but I was surrounded by death. The hospital porters wouldn't touch our patients so the nurses had to bring them into the hospital, and we had to pack and ligate the bodies of the dead and take them to the mortuary ourselves too. Too many painful memories. But happy ones too, as gay people volunteered to help our patients and support those who recovered for a while and went home.

7. 7 Users gave Like to post:

Armando (February 9th, 2021), Aux1010 (February 10th, 2021), Brad the Impala (February 9th, 2021), christianpfc (February 9th, 2021), gerefan2 (February 9th, 2021), GWMinUS (February 9th, 2021), Jellybean (February 10th, 2021)

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthrieston View Post
    I am in Thailand and don't have access to the series, but I would love to see it.
    Torrents are available from extv.re (I’m sure an eagle-eyed Mod will determine whether I can post that)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthrieston View Post
    I was surrounded by death. The hospital porters wouldn't touch our patients so the nurses had to bring them into the hospital, and we had to pack and ligate the bodies of the dead and take them to the mortuary ourselves too. Too many painful memories. But happy ones too, as gay people volunteered to help our patients and support those who recovered for a while and went home.
    A most moving post, Ruthrieston. I think too many of us who lived through that period conveniently forget the absolute fear which affected many of us for almost a decade. To be diagnosed with HIV meant death. It was as simple as that. And thanks to the name first given to the illness by doctors "The Gay Man's Plague" little attention was paid to the possibility that HIV and AIDS could infect other people. Those poor haemophiliacs who were infected through infected blood products including the young teenage poster boy Ryan White and the great tennis star Arthus Ashe!

It is useful to draw a parallel with covd19. With HIV, the Reagan administration wanted nothing to do with the new disease. It consistently reduced the amount of funding requested by the CDC. For four years Reagan would not even mention it, until after his old pal the very gay Rock Hudson died from it. Soon after that I had just turned on the television after dinner with friends in San Francisco. There was the Surgeon General, a whiskered ex-army man and a staunch conservative, giving advice on the need to avoid rimming!

Had the amount of worldwide funding that has been devoted to fighting covid19 been provided to HIV research in its first year, would the world now be HIV free? Why can politicians not leave medicine to the doctors and scientists? There can be little doubt that Reagan turning a blind eye resulted in many millions of deaths that might not have occurred. Just as Trump's callous disregard of covid19 resulted in hundreds of thousands on needless deaths - and the number is climbing.

10. 4 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (February 9th, 2021), GWMinUS (February 9th, 2021), Jellybean (February 10th, 2021), monsoon (February 15th, 2021)

Liked

Ruthrieston wrote.
    "I am in Thailand and don't have access to the series"

Yes you do. Seek and you will find.

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by StevieWonders View Post
    Torrents are available from extv.re (I’m sure an eagle-eyed Mod will determine whether I can post that)
    Correction - eztv

Liked

Don't need torrents.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    . . . Wow just wow! Such powerful TV ! . . . So, if you get a chance to watch the series I recommend it - as well as ( if you're prone to shed the odd tear as I am on occasion) a tissue (or six) to hand as well, just in case.
    Very well said NIrish-guy! I am watching the TV shows weekly as they are broadcast rather than downloading them in advance. It’s quite a rollercoaster of a series and certainly covers the whole gamut of emotions. Last Friday’s episode, episode 3, was particularly emotional and brought back some sad memories.

I don’t know if it is covered in future episodes, but one thing I vaguely remember at the time was a suggestion from a Member or Members of Parliament that gay bars should be closed to prevent the spread of AIDS. Then someone pointed out that if they closed the gay bars, gays would simply drink in the straight bars. The idea was, I believe, quickly dropped. I could not find a reference to this during a quick Internet search, but I did find an article in PinkNews from November 2018 covering the following:

‘Gay plague’: The vile, horrific and inhumane way the media reported the AIDS crisis
    Source: PinkNews

And Ruthrieston, thank you for sharing a very personal and moving account of your memories of being a nurse at St Stephen's Hospital in Fulham in the '80s. Your mention of a hospital in Fulham reminded me that I used to get my HIV and other sexual health checks at the Westminster Hospital in the '80s until it closed and moved to the new Chelsea & Westminster Hospital, which, I believe, replaced the St Stephen’s Hospital in Fulham. I also recall accompanying two friends, who had been given an HIV diagnosis, and supporting them during some of their visits to the Chelsea & Westminster Hospital. I am happy to report that both are still around today and living with HIV.

The first TV drama about the AIDS virus that I recall seeing was an American production called An Early Frost. It too reduced me to tears. It was particularly poignant because it was broadcast at a time when pharmaceutical drugs to treat HIV had not yet been found. And if members haven’t already seen it, I recommend they watch it whenever the opportunity arises.

A storyline synopsis from Wikipedia and a trailer are posted below:

An Early Frost is a 1985 American made-for-television drama film and the first major film, made for television or feature films, to deal with the topic of AIDS. It was first broadcast on the NBC television network on November 11, 1985 . . . Michael Pierson, a successful lawyer, suffers a bad coughing jag at work and is rushed to the hospital. There he learns from a doctor that he has been exposed to HIV . . .

Source: Wikipedia

Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

15. User who gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (February 10th, 2021)