Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The world’s favourite airline abandons Bangkok

No Platformed
    Liked

The world’s favourite airline abandons Bangkok

The self-proclaimed “world’s favourite airline”, British Airways, has dropped Bangkok from its schedules until the end of October 2021

https://www.flightglobal.com/network...141643.article

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: The world’s favourite airline abandons Bangkok

That's not a good sign!

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    That's not a good sign!
    Probably a sign of realism by airlines that “normal” international travel won’t resume before Q4 2021 (which is what I’ve been expecting all along).

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by StevieWonders View Post
    The self-proclaimed “world’s favourite airline”, British Airways, has dropped Bangkok from its schedules until the end of October 2021

https://www.flightglobal.com/network...141643.article
    A bit behind the times. BA has not used that slogan since 2001.

At that time it never had a dedicated Bangkok route. Bangkok was a stop on a flight to and from Sydney. So flights were always packed and getting mileage tickets was a near impossibility. At some time around the late 1990s it did add a thrice weekly dedicated Bangkok service. But that didn't last long.

Since the dreadful Willie Walsh moved from Aer Lingus to become BA's CEO, the once proud airline began its long decline. When it sold its stake in Qantas, it terminated the BKK/SYD leg of the Bangkok flights and changed the outward flight to daytime. It also switched from 747s to old 777s that were cramped and often filthy - well, at least far from clean. I flew it once and never again.

The recently fired CEO Alex Cruz pared service to the bone. I remember one overnight flight I took from the USA to LHR. I told the flight attendant I would not take dinner but would like breakfast. That turned out to be a small wrapped slab of inedible stale current cake and a coffee. Not even a bacon butty!

5. User who gave Like to post:

catawampuscat (December 18th, 2020)

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Armando
    At that time it never had a dedicated Bangkok route. Bangkok was a stop on a flight to and from Sydney. So flights were always packed ...
    Hence the unofficial alternate name the Buggers' Airline.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by StevieWonders View Post
    Hence the unofficial alternate name the Buggers' Airline.
    Are you referring to all the flyers going to BKK? The majority of the passengers were flying to Oz. I never once heard that acronym before. Far more European airlines flew into Bangkok with vastly more passengers than just BA.

I'd have thought the well-known Qantas acronym s more relevant - Queens and Nymphos Trained as Stewards

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    That's not a good sign!
    It’s an excellent sign!

The sooner that bloody airline goes out of business the better. I would rather fly Ryanair than them.

As others have said old and filthy aircraft. Dirty ticks against Virgin. Cancelled flights during covid even though they were selling seats

They even charged me £170 extra in business to select a forward facing seat. Then when I checked in they asked if I wanted to change it!

Never again.

9. User who gave Like to post:

Armando (December 18th, 2020)

Liked

They should just change the CEO with some very smart Indian.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by dinagam View Post
    They should just change the CEO with some very smart Indian.
    You mean the Indian who founded the once excellent Kingfisher Airlines and quickly drove it into the ground, financially speaking? Or the one heading Air India which has lost billions over the years and whose workers are now trying to buy it. I hope they don't because they will all lose their stakes.

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Armando View Post
    You mean the Indian who founded the once excellent Kingfisher Airlines and quickly drove it into the ground, financially speaking? Or the one heading Air India which has lost billions over the years and whose workers are now trying to buy it. I hope they don't because they will all lose their stakes.
    Perhaps he’s thinking of the self-made Indian billionaire who’s currently Chancellor of the Exchequer or one of Reliance’s Ambani brothers or the Chairman of ArcelorMittal. Alternatively you’re just being racist.