Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: My quest for a Visa

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

Re: My quest for a Visa

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    Weather forecast at home and for Bangkok:
    Yep, it’s a no brainer goji, but since I am not up to following in your and gerefan2’s footsteps, I’ll just have to brace myself for the awful British winter weather to come and bide my time.

Talking of the weather, in the early hours of the morning I was vaguely aware of far away loud banging noises - they sounded like explosions, but I didn’t get up to investigate. Later on, I found out the noises were caused by a rare phenomenon called thundersnow (see short video below). And, when I eventually got up and looked out my window, I saw that it had again snowed overnight (see photo below).

Snow02.jpg

And, not for the first time, my thoughts immediately turned to Thailand and the house I once owned in Hua Hin. It occurred to me, if I had not sold it, it would have made the perfect bolthole to ride out the pandemic. It had a beautiful garden, a swimming pool and, just a short drive away, several beautiful beaches. But alas, selling it seemed like the right decision at the time. But [long sigh] no point wishing for the impossible and, as the entirely apposite proverb reminds us, If ifs and ands were pots and pans . . .
    Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

2. 3 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (December 5th, 2020), goji (December 5th, 2020), seenus (December 5th, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

must be a very local saying...have never heard of it...

4. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (December 5th, 2020)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx View Post
    must be a very local saying...have never heard of it...
    Nor I. I do know "If ifs and buts were fruits and nuts what a Merry Christmas this would be." Sort of apposite too.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Barebacking, PrEP & HIV transmission in Thailand

I’m in quarantine and I need Beer of any sort. Fat chance!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    I’m in quarantine and I need Beer of any sort. Fat chance!
    The way to get alcohol into quarantine is to bring it with you, safe in the knowledge that they are not going to want to search the farang luggage, in case lots of viruses escape.

I considered packing a bottle of rum, but decided it was a good chance to to abstain for a couple of weeks. Some have shown even more restraint.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

To Gerefan and Goji, It sounds like you have both made it through the mounds of paperwork, check in, flights and procedures at Thai airports and are now in the waiting room prior to receiving your just rewards in Sodom.

While you are in the waiting room(five star I hope) and abstaining is surely a good time to update us on the final stages of the process that you have achieved to date. I think a medal of honour from SGT may await such intrepid explorers.

9. 4 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (December 15th, 2020), francois (December 15th, 2020), Jellybean (December 14th, 2020), StevieWonders (December 15th, 2020)

Liked

Well, I got my RT-PCR test and fit to fly from Midland Health. Had to drive 60 miles to get there, but they have good reviews & reliability is the main thing at that late stage.

No checks on the additional documents in London. The documents were checked in Zurich and the boarding card was stamped. I estimate the 777 to Bangkok was about 30% full.
    Upon arrival in Bangkok, there were several stages of document checking. However, I was through and collecting the luggage about 30 minutes after leaving the plane, which compares well with normal.
    They did ask about where I was going after quarantine & I told them where I would be for the first 2 weeks or so after quarantine and said no plan after that.
    Had to wait about 20 minutes outside the terminal, as one other passenger was going to the same hotel. There was no hurry, since this was a morning arrival and the quarantine clock doesn't start ticking until midnight.

I notice there are a lot of flights arriving between 22:00 and midnight. So perhaps the quarantine clock starts ticking from the moment the plane arrives ? I would want to know if having a late arrival.

Lots of other people are using the internet to whinge about the food in quarantine. I find it's perfectly OK & am surviving nicely so far. Those who like to sustain an excessive BMI might not be so content.

We had to take an indirect flight last week. However, I note my favoured EVA BR68 flight operated on 12th Dec. So that might be an option for anyone travelling from near London.
    With all the entry paperwork, I'd want to see that the chosen airline is actually keeping to whatever revised schedule it publishes.

11. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (December 15th, 2020), Jellybean (December 14th, 2020), StevieWonders (December 15th, 2020)

Liked

Congratulations to both of you! After the STV (Special Tourist Visa) disaster, I would not have thought the Thai will manage to set up something with acceptable conditions, but here is the proof!

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    I notice there are a lot of flights arriving between 22:00 and midnight. So perhaps the quarantine clock starts ticking from the moment the plane arrives ? I would want to know if having a late arrival.
    I can only tell for Cambodia. My scheduled arrival was 22:25, departure was delayed by half an hour and arrival was 23:00, and day of arrival is day 0 in count, even though my sample was taken on following day around 00:30.

Two weeks quarantine without any food or exercise had no or insignificant effect on me. Only days later, I did walks of 3 km in Phnom Penh and it didn't feel any different.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post

Two weeks quarantine without any food ......
    What was your reason for not eating food? Just curious.

14. User who gave Like to post:

StevieWonders (December 16th, 2020)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    What was your reason for not eating food? Just curious.
    I wanted to try fasting for a long time, but there was never a good opportunity with all the travel and boys. I gained some weight (10 kg in 10 years) that I wanted to lose (even though fasting is not primarily for weight loss). And the hotel would have charged 10 USD per meal for food of uncertain taste and quality (others reported delays in delivery and cold food), means I saved 450 USD on food!

My two nose swabs (in addition to throat swabs) in Cambodia were no problem. In Germany only throat swabs, no problem either.

16. User who gave Like to post:

goji (December 17th, 2020)