Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: My quest for a Visa

Liked

Re: My quest for a Visa

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    Weather forecast at home and for Bangkok:
    Yep, it’s a no brainer goji, but since I am not up to following in your and gerefan2’s footsteps, I’ll just have to brace myself for the awful British winter weather to come and bide my time.

Talking of the weather, in the early hours of the morning I was vaguely aware of far away loud banging noises - they sounded like explosions, but I didn’t get up to investigate. Later on, I found out the noises were caused by a rare phenomenon called thundersnow (see short video below). And, when I eventually got up and looked out my window, I saw that it had again snowed overnight (see photo below).

Snow02.jpg

And, not for the first time, my thoughts immediately turned to Thailand and the house I once owned in Hua Hin. It occurred to me, if I had not sold it, it would have made the perfect bolthole to ride out the pandemic. It had a beautiful garden, a swimming pool and, just a short drive away, several beautiful beaches. But alas, selling it seemed like the right decision at the time. But [long sigh] no point wishing for the impossible and, as the entirely apposite proverb reminds us, If ifs and ands were pots and pans . . .
    Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

2. 3 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (December 5th, 2020), goji (December 5th, 2020), seenus (December 5th, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

must be a very local saying...have never heard of it...

4. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (December 5th, 2020)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx View Post
    must be a very local saying...have never heard of it...
    Nor I. I do know "If ifs and buts were fruits and nuts what a Merry Christmas this would be." Sort of apposite too.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Barebacking, PrEP & HIV transmission in Thailand

I’m in quarantine and I need Beer of any sort. Fat chance!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    I’m in quarantine and I need Beer of any sort. Fat chance!
    The way to get alcohol into quarantine is to bring it with you, safe in the knowledge that they are not going to want to search the farang luggage, in case lots of viruses escape.

I considered packing a bottle of rum, but decided it was a good chance to to abstain for a couple of weeks. Some have shown even more restraint.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

To Gerefan and Goji, It sounds like you have both made it through the mounds of paperwork, check in, flights and procedures at Thai airports and are now in the waiting room prior to receiving your just rewards in Sodom.

While you are in the waiting room(five star I hope) and abstaining is surely a good time to update us on the final stages of the process that you have achieved to date. I think a medal of honour from SGT may await such intrepid explorers.

9. 4 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (December 15th, 2020), francois (December 15th, 2020), Jellybean (December 14th, 2020), StevieWonders (December 15th, 2020)

Liked

Well, I got my RT-PCR test and fit to fly from Midland Health. Had to drive 60 miles to get there, but they have good reviews & reliability is the main thing at that late stage.

No checks on the additional documents in London. The documents were checked in Zurich and the boarding card was stamped. I estimate the 777 to Bangkok was about 30% full.
    Upon arrival in Bangkok, there were several stages of document checking. However, I was through and collecting the luggage about 30 minutes after leaving the plane, which compares well with normal.
    They did ask about where I was going after quarantine & I told them where I would be for the first 2 weeks or so after quarantine and said no plan after that.
    Had to wait about 20 minutes outside the terminal, as one other passenger was going to the same hotel. There was no hurry, since this was a morning arrival and the quarantine clock doesn't start ticking until midnight.

I notice there are a lot of flights arriving between 22:00 and midnight. So perhaps the quarantine clock starts ticking from the moment the plane arrives ? I would want to know if having a late arrival.

Lots of other people are using the internet to whinge about the food in quarantine. I find it's perfectly OK & am surviving nicely so far. Those who like to sustain an excessive BMI might not be so content.

We had to take an indirect flight last week. However, I note my favoured EVA BR68 flight operated on 12th Dec. So that might be an option for anyone travelling from near London.
    With all the entry paperwork, I'd want to see that the chosen airline is actually keeping to whatever revised schedule it publishes.

11. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (December 15th, 2020), Jellybean (December 14th, 2020), StevieWonders (December 15th, 2020)

Liked

Goji and gerefan2. Respect.

A few longish tv shows you might like to revisit with all that time on your hands. Especially if you begin to feel a bit pissed off at your incarceration.

The World at War. Narrated by Lawrence Olivier it's the best documentary series on WWII ever.

The Sopranos. 8 series of brutal, often senseless killing. Help you lose any pent up frustration.

The Pacific and Band of Brothers. Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks' twin masterpieces set in WWII.

Blake's 7. Forget the cheap sets and out of date 'technology'. The script bites and stabs like a pit bull with a rapier.

The West Wing. The one that lifted tv drama to a new level. Martin Sheen as the US president you always wanted but never get.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Goji has adequately covered the flight and arrival process at BKK, so I will just add a few tips.

For anyone contemplating it I suggest the three websites below. The first one helps with with the saga of getting a visa and the Certificate of Entry. A few knowledgable guys on there offer good advice. Just ask. Invaluable.

The second two review the numerous hotels which offer Quarantine. It seems you pay your money and take your choice. I’m more than happy with my place.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/272003337395576

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1859391754195276
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/298606387906884

14. 4 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (December 15th, 2020), goji (December 15th, 2020), Jellybean (December 15th, 2020), StevieWonders (December 15th, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Goji and gerefan,

Congratulations on your pioneering endeavors and successful landing in LOS. I'm so happy for you both.

Relax...do some exercises to get that tummy flat...and get ready to reap the rewards for all the hassle you've been through.

It would be interesting to get your perspectives about the changes you see here after you've been here a while.

Where are your final destinations?, e.g. Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, etc.

Cheers

16. User who gave Like to post:

goji (December 15th, 2020)