Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: My quest for a Visa

Liked

Re: My quest for a Visa

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    TIT. How on Earth do expats put up with all this sh1t?
    Well, there is a way around that...

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Well, there is a way around that...
    LOL...do tell!!

Liked

LOL...do tell!!
    Decide that immigration laws are just mere suggestions, not laws... and don't worry about a VISA.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Decide that immigration laws are just mere suggestions, not laws... and don't worry about a VISA.
    That’s a relief, I thought for one moment you were going to suggest I just go home!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Hows that working out for you there?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

How on Earth do expats put up with all this shit.
    Most don't.

Some use "Visa Agents". Rumor has it that this can save a lot of hassle, especially if there are compliance issues.

Liked

I had the choice of extending it for 30 (the normal 1 off extension) or 60 days (the covid extension). Both the same price.
    It seemed logical to apply for the 60 days, even though I will probably only stay for an extra 30 days or so.
    With the benefit of hindsight and considering the other visa offers, it seems Thai immigration never apply the same basic rules for 2 slightly different visas or visa extensions.

There will be random illogical changes.

So 30 day extension is granted immediately, with 30 days added onto the original expiry date. As I received in both 2020 and 2021.
    A 60 day extension has lots of pfaffing around and they count the 60 days from the date of issue, or date when they kick the can down the road.
    There are inconsistencies in documents required for different visas as well.

Anyhow, overall, you've made better visa choices than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Most don't.
    Some use "Visa Agents". Rumor has it that this can save a lot of hassle, especially if there are compliance issues.
    How much are they paying for visa agents ?
    I was speaking to one of my Lao "friends" in Pattaya and he uses a company in Bangkok to get his visa extended for 60 days at the cost of 4000 baht.
    My 30 day extension direct with Jomtien immigration cost almost 2000, by the time I counted 1900 for immigration, plus photo, photocopying etc.
    So my Lao friend has got 60 days via an agency, as almost the same price.
    Of course, what I don't know is if that's some special privilege for ASEAN nationals. Should have asked more questions, but asking boys about their dodgy immigration status tends to result in evasive answers.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post

How much are they paying for visa agents ?.
    Honestly, the prices I've heard vary all over the map depending on the agent, and the type of visa service being requested.

I think if you ask some of the expats you run into at the bars, etc., they can provide much better information than I can.

Good luck.

No Platformed
    Liked

It’s impossible to generalise because expats who live here are not applying for extensions for the same sort of visa and for the same period of time as either of our intrepid explorers. 2G are simply short term sex tourists; we are longer term visitors although since the extension is only year-to-year we’re none of us “permanent” unless the ridiculous hoops have been jumped through. Again, some will be married (officially - to a woman); others may or may not have a catamite or three in tow. Those are two different visa sub-classes.

As Dodger said there’s a further subdivision of those who meet all the requirements and those who, for whatever reason, don’t or won’t (refusing to trust Thai banks for the 800K kept annually for example).

Without revealing my personal circumstances it costs me roughly double what I pay my maid annually to pay a visa agent in Bangkok to handle all the paperwork and make any problems that may arise “go away”.

In case you’re wondering if anyone pays bribes to Immigration officials - heaven forbid. Immigration officials above a certain rank have - legally - considerable discretion to ignore the formal requirements and grant an extension under “special circumstances” (supposedly defined but not supervised). What visa agents pay is not therefore a bribe to ignore the visa regulations - that would be corruption - but a facilitation fee direct to one of their Immigration contacts of an appropriate rank to exercise his or her legitimate discretion.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Directly next to Jomtien immigration where you make copies and photos they are also a visa agent, the extensions discussed above should be easy and affordable there......look for a young fellow working there he can be very helpful his name is Tim.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

11. User who gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (March 5th, 2021)