List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chinese Tourists to be Allowed Without Quarantine?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Chinese Tourists to be Allowed Without Quarantine?

https://pattayaone.news/thailand-to-...ut-quarantine/

The COVID-19 pandemic has hit tourism hard, and many countries expect tourists all around the world to come as soon as possible.

Thailand is talking with China about a quarantine-free travel corridor by January to rescue its ailing tourism industry, the Bloomberg reported.

Thailand Tourism Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn said Thailand will reopen to foreign tourists in October with limitation.

In the absence of COVID-19 re-outbreak, Chinese tourists will not have to undergo mandatory quarantine and can use coronavirus testing and a mobile tracking application instead.

According to Thailand’s long-term tourist visa program, the first batch of Chinese tourists will arrive in Bangkok on October 20.

Thailand plans to issue 1,200 visas a month to help ease foreign tourists’ loss over the past five months as tourism is severely affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, the report said.

About 11 million Chinese tourists visited Thailand in 2019, bringing in about 17 billion U.S. dollars in revenue, according to official figures.

“Thais don’t have enough money to boost the industry, so either way we have to find a way to bring in foreign tourists,” Phiphat said.

“If we don’t receive any foreign tourists, our economy will suffer a heavy contraction.”

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Re: Chinese Tourists to be Allowed Without Quarantine?

Thailand Tourism Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn said Thailand will reopen to foreign tourists in October with limitation.

In the absence of COVID-19 re-outbreak, Chinese tourists will not have to undergo mandatory quarantine and can use coronavirus testing and a mobile tracking application instead.

According to Thailand’s long-term tourist visa program, the first batch of Chinese tourists will arrive in Bangkok on October 20.
    Have I been asleep for a few days? Isn't this precisely what we were told about the first Chinese arriving on long stay visas only for the programme to be cancelled 24 hours before anyone arrived. Perhaps I should be more accurateL because no Chinese had actually signed up for the trips.

With China having just locked down 9 million citizens of Qingdao because of a covid outbreak and that city being a popular destination for local tourists during the long October national holiday. who knows how many around China now have the virus. And Thailand is going to let them in without any form of quarantine?

The country is still being run by fantasists.

3. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (October 19th, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

We're already into October. No general tourists to date. Special Tourist Visa scrapped.

More unsubstantiated nonsense.

When will PattayaOne learn???

Completely contradicts Pattaya News article below regarding quarantine requirements:

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/10/1...tive-tourists/

The Tourist Minister clearly has a political agenda. Creating chaos is his specialty...he must have taken lessons from watching Trump.

Political unrest is causing VERY deep concerns in the government. More meaningless articles like this are sure to follow. Pure fantasy to distract the masses.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    We're already into October. No general tourists to date. Special Tourist Visa scrapped.

More unsubstantiated nonsense.

When will PattayaOne learn???

The Tourist Minister clearly has a political agenda. Creating chaos is his specialty...he must have taken lessons from watching Trump.

Political unrest is causing VERY deep concerns in the government. More meaningless articles like this are sure to follow. Pure fantasy to distract the masses.
    I totally agree that Thailand at the moment appears to be in a dire political situation however, I doubt that The Pattaya One news in English will have much affect on “the masses”.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    I doubt that The Pattaya One news in English will have much affect on “the masses”.
    I wonder therefore why you bothered to post the link.

7. User who gave Like to post:

catawampuscat (October 22nd, 2020)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Armando View Post
    I wonder therefore why you bothered to post the link.
    Do you think the Thai masses read this forum?....Lol

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post

I doubt that The Pattaya One news in English will have much affect on “the masses”.
    Thank God!

Liked

They keep talking as though they are opening up to full tourism again, and then slip in little things like 'charter flights' and numbers like '1200/month' - when normal high season tourist numbers are in the order of 100,000 per day.

What they are really saying is that they are opening up to their rich chums who have private jets - the rest of us can go hang...

However, there is a wind of change blowing in the LoS, and the next few months look likely to be pretty tumultuous. Most of Thailand's high season tourist trade looks set to head off to Latin America this winter instead. Given that there is hardly a family in Issan that isn't in some way reliant on the hard cash of tourism, it looks likely that the red shirts will kick off again - joining the Bangkok middle classes who are currently braving the water cannon in their clamour for democratic reform..

11. 8 Users gave Like to post:

BenCH (October 20th, 2020), christianpfc (October 19th, 2020), Dodger (October 19th, 2020), goji (October 19th, 2020), Jellybean (October 19th, 2020), Manforallseasons (October 19th, 2020), poshglasgow (October 19th, 2020), snotface (October 20th, 2020)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Old git View Post
    Most of Thailand's high season tourist trade looks set to head off to Latin America this winter instead.
    Now there's a good point. Possibly one that deserves it's own thread.
    Thailand doesn't seem intent on letting westerners in any time soon, even with effective measures like testing & quarantine. If we are tested before flying and tested during 14 day quarantine, then we're not presenting a Covid risk to Thailand. But still, it seems they don't want tourists at present.

So where do we go instead ?
    Some Latin American countries let us in, but last time I looked, they had high Covid infection rates. Now based on earlier mortality data, I'd estimated my own probability of dying if infected by Covid as ~1%. That's from death rates for early 50s age range.
    Now it's not that easy to ignore 1%.

However, perhaps I should subtract a bit more for no KNOWN underlying conditions.

Also, I recently saw some death rate v age data with much much lower death rates, nearer 0.3% ? for my range, but cannot find it to post a link.
    Also, the average age of people dying from Covid in the UK is apparently 82.4. [google pointed me to a Daily Mail article for that one]. That's about the age where males die anyway.

13. User who gave Like to post:

Jellybean (October 19th, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    Also, I recently saw some death rate v age data with much much lower death rates, nearer 0.3% ? for my range, but cannot find it to post a link.
    Also, the average age of people dying from Covid in the UK is apparently 82.4. [google pointed me to a Daily Mail article for that one]. That's about the age where males die anyway.
    Here is the info you were looking for...

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...0-03-26#Ethnic

You will see they say...quote:
    “ the rate of death involving Covid-19 for Black African males is still 2.5 times higher than for those of White background, and 2.1 times higher for Black African females.”

So,your estimate of 0.3% could probably be reduced by at least 50%!

As an aside, I am still waiting to hear from anyone who has had it, or anyone who knows anyone who has had it. And I’m saying that from the UK, one of the places often accused of having one of the highest rates of infection.