Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pattaya’s Fight For Survival and KTV boys in China

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Pattaya’s Fight For Survival

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post

I agree that sleaze was the “bedrock” of Pattaya but that was a strong “WAS”
    I understand your point, and you may be right, but if tourists aren't allowed entry for another year - keeping "sleaze" out may be impossible.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post

......I can see it all now.
    If you were here now - you'd already be seeing it.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    I understand your point, and you may be right, but if tourists aren't allowed entry for another year - keeping "sleaze" out may be impossible.
    Without returning tourists there would be little reason for expanding “sleaze”.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

I cannot see any way the gay sleaze will return. It had its day.

It grew relatively quickly and I don't think the authorities cared much about it other than underage bars and the cash it all brought it. The cash is not going to return. Asian tourists don't want sleaze as the western tourists did. And with an absence of at least 18 months or more before tourists from western countries are able to return in any numbers, gay tourists will soon realise that Pattaya without the volume of bars and the sleaze of yesteryear is not what they expected. They may come once. But returning as regulars? I can't see it.

Besides, none of us have any clue yet how much air tickets will be in the new normal. Cheaper tickets may still be available but probably (as a guess) they will be limited to a couple of rows at the back of the plane. Average ticket prices have to rise considerably given the disastrous economic situation all are going through and will continue to go through for goodness knws how long. Airlines have to make back their losses ,if only from having been forced to keep vast billions of $$ of hardware sitting all over the world earning nothing.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post

Without returning tourists there would be little reason for expanding “sleaze”.
    Hey...you're forgetting about us...LOL

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Armando View Post

I cannot see any way the gay sleaze will return. It had its day.

It grew relatively quickly and I don't think the authorities cared much about it other than underage bars and the cash it all brought it. The cash is not going to return. Asian tourists don't want sleaze as the western tourists did.
    To play devils advocate: The BIB have to be running around penniless due to the reduction of tea money which flowed the heaviest from the sleazy parts of town. If they were ever to take control of the streets in Pattaya again, and with the current political unrest that's entirely possible, no one would want the "sleazy venues" up and running again more than they (and their superiors) would.

As far as the inevitable change in demographics, the Chinese and other Asians are the ones who truly invented "sleaze". My earliest experiences were in girl and boy bars in downtown Seoul Korea and Ginza Japan many years ago. Both places had predominantly Asian clientele and they both reminded me of Sunee Plaza.

Who knows where this will take us, but, in short, I agree with Barry Kenyan on this. The "sleaze" has already started to creep in.

Liked

They had to rebuild the whole place and still recovered quickly. All we gotta do is get an injection..

https://www.thestar.com.my/travel/as...from-disaster/

Liked

They had to rebuild the whole place and still recovered quickly. All we gotta do is get an injection..
    Yes. This also beats living in Poland in 1939.
    As long as we avoid such political errors, things will look a lot better in 12 months time. I expect the majority of board members will have been offered a vaccine by then.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Possibly, but some, maybe many of us, have reached the stage in our lives where our health cannot be taken for granted so far ahead.

10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

dab69 (October 29th, 2020), Jellybean (October 28th, 2020)

Liked

https://www.thestar.com.my/travel/as...from-disaster/
    You are comparing apples with turnips. The tsunami affected only a certain part of Thailand. It did not come anywhere near Pattaya. It may have interrupted tourism for a while, but those were the days when western tourists still flocked to Pattaya. They returned. Will they once the pandemic plays out? A trickle perhaps.

12. 2 Users gave Like to post:

gerefan2 (October 29th, 2020), Moggy (October 28th, 2020)