Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Future of Dongtan Beach

Liked

The Future of Dongtan Beach

Of much larger concern to me than the emasculation of the gay bar areas in Pattaya, is what will become of Dongtarn Beach? It is the other side of the former equation -- you go to the beach during the day and the bars at night. That was a near-perfect routine for many of us for many years I suspect.

So we have talked about the bars ad nauseum, but what about our beloved beach? It used to be a place where one could find solace, acceptance, friendship, entertainment, a good "massage", nice food on the beach (I miss Tui's Place), and an occasional "surprise".

Like many on this forum, I am away from Thailand at present (last visit October 2019) but in my correspondence with my friends and compatriots who are still there (some happily "marooned", some not so happily "marooned" there) that at present of course Dongtarn is a figment of its former glory.

But can it survive? Will it survive? Will it morph into just another (editorial, "boring") Pattaya/Jomtien beach plot? Or will we be squeezed out of this one remaining delight?

As for me, I am still grieving over the "improvements" to Dongtarn from 1-2 years ago when (almost) all of the nice shade trees were cut down and the road widened from a nice path to regular (boring) road, and the rules for contact there began to be dictated by the "gestapo's" rules.

I hope we can find a way to save the remaining joys of that beach. But I am not so sure we will be able to do so.

Liked

Re: The Future of Dongtan Beach

Quote Originally Posted by Marc K View Post

I hope we can find a way to save the remaining joys of that beach. But I am not so sure we will be able to do so.
    The remaining boys are ageing well into their forties and fifties...

3. User who gave Like to post:

Smiles (October 17th, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Not a beach person but I thought the allure of Dongtan beach ended about 10 years ago.

5. User who gave Like to post:

Armando (October 17th, 2020)

Liked

The gay beach will be reborn when and if the gay tourists return. As a former beach "regular" the removal of free wifi by government officials was the last straw. I know several masseurs that are now in their home villages just waiting for the gay beach to "reopen".

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    Not a beach person but I thought the allure of Dongtan beach ended about 10 years ago.
    As did I. The boys disappeared from the beach years ago and that was part of its special attraction. With no improvement in the quality of the water, what is left is not worth the trip over.

Liked

RIP it sounds like this daytime delight is already either dead or on life support. Pity.

Liked

I stopped going to Dongtan beach after the army reduced the space the concessions had. Recently however, after the concessions reopened after the lockdown I started going back regularly just to give some financial support to people trying to make a living. The air is so much more clean and clear and even the water quality has improved. There are very few customers and I do hate having the road open all day every day and having to dodge the cars and motorbikes as I walk along. I sit in a concession in front of the White House so good food available and toilet accessible. These days the rain is around a lot so not able to go every day but I will support them as much as I can when the rain eases.

10. 6 Users gave Like to post:

Aux1010 (October 18th, 2020), catawampuscat (October 22nd, 2020), dab69 (October 18th, 2020), mahjongguy (October 18th, 2020), splinter1949 (October 18th, 2020), TaoR (October 21st, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

One of the reasons (there were others) why I chose Bang Saray to live after retirement over Pattaya is because you can actually swim in the water. What a concept!

I agree with everyone; Dongtan went downhill years ago...very few boys around these days...polluted water...cramped seating, etc.

I spot more boys hanging around the volleyball court on the far North side of the beach (just past Pattaya Park) than the Dongtan concessions these days. I've occasionally run into gay boys who work in the Complex during the early-morning hours still partying from the night before.

Frankly, with times being so hard, I can't figure out why more of the bar boys don't work the beach concessions in the day time. Granted, there aren't too many customers...but all they need is one. I often see the same 4 or 5 freelancers working the beach, although they typically "roam" versus sit at any of the concessions.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by dinagam View Post
    The remaining boys are ageing well into their forties and fifties...
    Ohh, so they've got tenure at Boyz Boyz Boyz now?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthrieston View Post
    I stopped going to Dongtan beach after the army reduced the space the concessions had.
    Perhaps that's problem - the whales no longer have the space to beach themselves.