Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid Insurance

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Covid Insurance

Here we go again...another half-baked proposal getting slung out there to confuse the fuck out of everyone.

First, there was the Elite Visa Scheme, where foreigners were (and still are) being lured into buying these visa's ranging from 500,000 - 2,000,000 THB giving the impression that those who hold this visa would be allowed to enter Thailand, and be given preferential treatment upon arrival as well. When, in fact, the government (CCSA) has not acknowledged or approved this privilege, and the foreign embassies to date show this Elite privilege as being suspended. Ironically, this Elite Micky Mouse Club (administered by Immigration) are still trying to get people to buy this.

Then, there's this wonderful Phuket Holiday Scheme, which is currently being promoted globally before the government (CCSA) has even approved it. TAT, in their flurry of desperation, are already having travel agencies, and individual travelers, making travel plans based on the proposal outline shown in the news media, when, at the same time, articles in The Nation and Bangkok Post have clearly stated that the government (CCSA) has not approved this proposal launched by TAT to date. Talk about not being on the same page.

Now, here we go again with another Thai Insurance Scheme, where foreigners are being provided instructions for purchasing Covid-19 policies - before foreigners are even being allowed to enter Thailand, which contradicts earlier policy communications which stated that tourists, when they are permitted to enter Thailand, would be required to have insurance policies form their home countries providing a minimum of $100,000 worth of coverage. The intent of this was to make sure that tourists would be covered for Covid-19 while in-country which makes sense. But here we go (again) with a consortium of Thai-owned insurance companies, who, coincidentally, are owned by some of the wealthiest and most influential families in Thailand, waiting at the gates to sell you their polices. The only problem is, the gates will be empty.

Too many half-baked money-making schemes - too soon. (Ready - Fire - Aim)

In my opinion, a foreigner who wants to enter Thailand in the future needs to be concerned (and focused) on one thing, and one thing only, and that's the information provided to them by the Thai embassy in their home country. If it were me, and I'm glad as fucking hell it's not, I wouldn't be buying any special visa (Elite, or otherwise), searching for any charter flights to Phuket, or anywhere else in the Kingdom for that fact, and I sure as hell wouldn't be suckered into buying a Covid-19 health insurance policy from one of these so-called "Approved" Thai companies if I already had health insurance coverage in my own country.

Thailand is trying to position itself to make money on foreign tourists any way it can to offset the massive losses this year which is understandable. You can't blame them for that. But, you also can't blame foreigners for taking whatever precautions they need to take to protect themselves from being manipulated financially by these types of half-baked schemes, which, frankly, all appear to be totally one-sided, where Thailand's tourist industry benefits financially - and the tourists end up paying up-the-ass for a few weeks in a dungeon. What;s wrong with this picture?

The bottom line, the way I see it, is that foreigners should be focused on the fact that the CCSA, which is in full control of the decisions regarding tourist arrivals in Thailand, has not endorsed any of the "Schemes" listed above, although they have stated in numerous publications, that if and when tourists are permitted to enter Thailand, only those coming from Covid-Free countries would be permitted entry. This statement, in-and-by-itself, negates everything we see being promoted by TAT and the Thai health insurance officials referenced above. The only exception to this would be foreigners who are currently allowed entry as outlined in the C-19 Phase 6 Plan.

Personally, and I could be wrong, I just can't see too many tourists coming to Thailand if they had to quarantine for 14 days to begin with. An article was published a few weeks ago in one of these newspapers who contradict themselves constantly, that the Tourist Authority (TAT) was targeting the "Wealthy Tourists", thus the basis of the Phuket Scheme. Now, just ask yourselves, how many truly wealthy people do you know who would leave their estates, perfectly groomed golf courses, maid service, and pool-side playmates, only to fly to Thailand to be quarantined for 14 days on some island which probably resembles their back yards?

Oh well, that's my two cents.

3. 8 Users gave Like to post:

Atsik (September 6th, 2020), BenCH (September 7th, 2020), christianpfc (September 6th, 2020), GerBear1958 (September 12th, 2020), goji (September 6th, 2020), poshglasgow (September 9th, 2020), siscu58 (September 14th, 2020), Smiles (December 5th, 2020)

Liked

Dodger, if and when foreigners are allowed back in Thailand regardless of quarantine issues they will need Covid insurance for sure......here are approved companies offering such insurance, as we both live here it may not be of much interest however, I’m sure it will be of interest to wannabe travelers.

5. User who gave Like to post:

GerBear1958 (September 12th, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    Dodger, if and when foreigners are allowed back in Thailand regardless of quarantine issues they will need Covid insurance for sure......here are approved companies offering such insurance, as we both live here it may not be of much interest however, I’m sure it will be of interest to wannabe travelers.
    I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that if a tourist had proof of $100,000 insurance in their home country this would suffice. Meaning, no additional coverage would be required.

7. User who gave Like to post:

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that if a tourist had proof of $100,000 insurance in their home country this would suffice. Meaning, no additional coverage would be required.
    Unless it is designated to cover Covid treatment while in a foreign country, perhaps.

9. User who gave Like to post:

Liked

Anyone know what that $100,000 of insurance is expected to cover. Many who normally live in Thailand and cannot get back in the foreseeable future may already have insurance policies which do not cover outpatient services. The older you get the more expensive outpatiemt premiums can become. Often these are higher than the policy deductible. So they make little sense.

Liked

My expat health Ins. covers anything related to Covid.

12. User who gave Like to post:

Liked

I'd much rather have insurance from a UK provider, as if they don't pay up, at least I stand a chance with litigation.

Liked

Fully agree with Dogder #2, and can add another tidbit to illustrate what kind of half-arsed brain farts most proposals are:

The government had been hoping to allow around 200 Australian and New Zealand visitors to come to Phuket,...failed to take into account that Australians are currently not allowed leave their country and the New Zealand government is advising its citizens not to travel overseas unless it is an urgent matter.
    extracted from: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/p...o-be-postponed

15. User who gave Like to post:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

As has been said Thailand has lost the plot.