Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moral Dilemma

Liked

Moral Dilemma

It's been a while since we've had a right good old ding dong here. The timeframe to tourists in Thailand was small beer.

The scenario.
    So there's a vaccine. It's good and everyone agrees it works. Get vaccinated and all travel restrictions are lifted. Whoopee.

However. The vaccine was forcibly tested on convicted prisoners as well as incarcerated nations such as the Uyghur in Xinjiang Province. There is no absolute proof but the UN issues a statement saying the tests included children. An alternative vaccine is many many months away. It's available now and it's free.

You going to get it?

Liked

Re: Moral Dilemma

In order to trust the product, I'd want to see a double blind trial carried out independently in a nation where bribery is not common.

Most of us buy cheap manufactured goods from certain countries with dubious human rights practices.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

i really dont care if it was tested on a bus load of lusty pregnant virgin nuns....if it works then i want it...

Liked

Goji. Sorry but you've missed the point.of my post. It's a moral question, the science is unimportant.

And latin. Me too.

Liked

It is absolutely immoral to use developing foetuses in your vaccine trials irrespective of the virtue or status of the mothers...

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    Goji. Sorry but you've missed the point.of my post. It's a moral question, the science is unimportant.
    I've deliberately avoided the point of your post. However, if the vaccine also passed my required independent tests, it follows that no one is likely to have been harmed significantly in the original "hypothetical" enforced testing. So there wouldn't be much of a moral issue.
    If you only had the enforced testing, well I would reject it for not trusting the testing, before we even get to the moral issues.
    I'm also not that fussy about the rights of prisoners who are correctly convicted and are in prison for severe offences. However, of course when they shouldn't be in prison in the first place, that's another matter.

Finally, when a government represses a religion, for balance, it's fair to also consider that the religion may have been forced upon young people, whether they like it or not.
    For example: I had to attend a religious assembly at school in the UK, as it was a legal requirement and for all I know, may still be. If the people behind this were to be jailed for a couple of months, it would only balance up the fraction of my life totally wasted on enforced religion.
    There are other ways in which religion is forced upon people. In some parts of the world, I believe apostasy can be punished. I'm not going to defend the rights of people to force religion onto others.

Liked

Interesting answers from both goji and dinagam. Throughout history medicine has advanced using some extremely morally questionable methods. Think grave robbers, Nazi concentration camps, stolen body parts, bodies used in car safety tests, experiments on American servicemen etc.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    experiments on American servicemen etc.
    Don't forget NASA astronaut Steve Austin, they spent $6 million experimenting on him
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

9. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (August 14th, 2020)

Liked

You going to get it?
    My immediate response to that question was a firm "NO! NEVER!"

But if that situation really did arise (and I believe it's very possible), would I be able to hold on to the high moral ground? I would hope so but I'm not 100% sure at present, as the desire to get on a plane is overwhelming and that desire just gets stronger every day.

So for me that's an impossible question to answer.

Best I remain mute on this.

11. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (August 15th, 2020), Zebedee (August 15th, 2020)

Liked

In the absence of a firm 'No.' I'm assuming that like Latin and I, you'd get the vaccine.