Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Homeless Boys

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Homeless Boys

Quote Originally Posted by jvt22222 View Post

I wonder … and have no idea or way to know for sure … how the over-riding issue of FACE impacts on homelessness being discussed here. FACE affects everything here so it must influence homelessness as well. Certainly would seem to affect the answer to the question "are you homeless?"
    Good question:

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I found it interesting that none of the homeless boys I was interacting with ever asked me for money. In-other-words, they weren't begging. They also appeared to be accepting these temporary living conditions as the result of the economy, nothing more, and nothing less. And, at least from what I could detect, showed no sense of shame (loss of face) regarding this condition.

I've also come across homeless people in Pattaya who seem to be clearly suffering from consequences of their own making (usually drug or alcohol related) who seem to have no problem begging for money. Right or wrong, I never make any donations to these people.

2. User who gave Like to post:

goji (June 13th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    I've also come across homeless people in Pattaya who seem to be clearly suffering from consequences of their own making (usually drug or alcohol related) who seem to have no problem begging for money. Right or wrong, I never make any donations to these people.
    Very good point. Giving money to a drug addict is not a good idea.
    I have seen locals giving food to people begging on the street in Pattaya and the recipients don't seem as grateful as you would expect.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    Very good point. Giving money to a drug addict is not a good idea.
    I have seen locals giving food to people begging on the street in Pattaya and the recipients don't seem as grateful as you would expect.
    This is a cultural (religious) thing as the givers are making merit for themselves by giving.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

5. 7 Users gave Like to post:

cdnmatt (June 13th, 2021), dab69 (June 14th, 2021), Dodger (June 14th, 2021), poshglasgow (June 16th, 2021), Ruthrieston (June 14th, 2021), snotface (June 13th, 2021), StevieWonders (June 13th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    This is a cultural (religious) thing as the givers are making merit for themselves by giving.
    Yeah, saying thanks over in Thailand isn't needed like it is in the West. A quick thanks and acknowledgement is all that's needed, and generally anything more is seen as taking away from the act of giving, and as MFAS said, making merit.

At the same time, don't get all pissy when your boy du jour doesn't salivate with praise and thankfulness for you helping him out a bit.

7. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (June 14th, 2021), Oliver2 (June 14th, 2021)

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Yeah, saying thanks over in Thailand isn't needed like it is in the West. A quick thanks and acknowledgement is all that's needed, and generally anything more is seen as taking away from the act of giving, and as MFAS said, making merit.

At the same time, don't get all pissy when your boy du jour doesn't salivate with praise and thankfulness for you helping him out a bit.
    It’s the Thai patronage system. We’re their patrons, not their lovers in the Western sense.

Liked

When I give to beggars (for want of a better word) I don't care what they do with the money nor do I look for gratitude from them, although I most often receive it. All I know is that they need it more than I.

10. 9 Users gave Like to post:

dab69 (June 14th, 2021), Dodger (June 13th, 2021), Manforallseasons (June 13th, 2021), mr giggles (June 14th, 2021), Oliver2 (June 14th, 2021), poshglasgow (June 16th, 2021), Ruthrieston (June 14th, 2021), TaoR (June 13th, 2021), vnman (June 17th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by StevieWonders View Post
    It’s the Thai patronage system. We’re their patrons, not their lovers in the Western sense.
    Plus if someone helps them, instead of being eternally thankful, they'll be more inclined to think they received help because they've been a good person during their life and earned enough karma to be deserving of said help versus having anything to do with whoever helped them.

That's just how life works over there, hence why big thank yous to everyone all the time just aren't needed. You're helping someone to make merit, so later on in life you'll be deserving of and receive help too, and round and round it goes with everyone helping each other.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I still want to know about the street boys cause of demise and how this can be prevented.
    I remember on article about a kid on the beach died from TB.

Just the stress of the heat and humidity, lack of a job/income/food
    and the stress of hopelessness would be a big factor also

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by dab69 View Post
    I still want to know about the street boys cause of demise and how this can be prevented.
    You do know you're basically asking how to end world poverty, right?

If you have the money, desire and energy, start a non-profit that provides relief to those in need -- bit of money, shelter, clothes, cell phone top ups, keep in contract with them, try to find them work or help work out whatever issues they have, et al.

There's a countrless number of research studies on this, and they've pretty much all found that once you slip into homelessness it's extremely difficult to get out of. However, a little helping hand can go a long way.

I remember this one study in Vancouver... they took 120 homeless people, gave half of them $12k and the other half nothing. heh, kind of a rude study, but whatever... Anyway, they checked back in with everyone after 12 months and it was basically night and day between the two groups in terms of who had found things like proper housing, regular food, stable employment, et al. The ones that got that lump sum did far better and we're back to being self sufficient agian.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post

When I give to beggars (for want of a better word) I don't care what they do with the money nor do I look for gratitude from them, although I most often receive it. All I know is that they need it more than I.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbogA-p88wM