Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: No End In Sight!

Liked

Re: No End In Sight!

Haven't heard from Traveller Jim lately. He was - at 2016 - the glorious time when Trump managed to gain his glorious throne and the quintessential boot-licker was in "I told you so" mode.
    One would like to know how he feels now with 158,000 American deaths as of today, and an American President gives not a damn ... beside some cake, Antoinette-ish.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

2. 2 Users gave Like to post:

francois (August 2nd, 2020), lukylok (August 3rd, 2020)

Liked

I remember having to carry a vaccination card with my passport showing that I was up-to-date with my boosters (for yellow fever and smallpox if I recall thru the mists of time).
    Like rabies shots for my dog, they don't last a lifetime - covid-19 may well be the same.

Liked

IF we carry on with out a vacine into early 2021 and therefore a lack of tourists what percentage of bars do you think will remain ?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    Unfortunately there is a huge elephant in the room regarding vaccines in general.
    In the United States 43% say that they would not take the vaccine when arrived, and, nor would not let their kids be vaccinated as well.
    There is something existentially very wrong with the USA overall:
    Sadly, you are correct.

Trump is a virus. The Trump Virus (let's call it Crayola -18) started spreading the minute he was elected and reached global pandemic level in his first 90 days in office. The vaccine has been nearly 4 years in the making and finally due for release on November 3rd of this year.

The majority of Americans who said they wouldn't take the vaccine on the survey are Trump supporters, and they don't need Covid-19 vaccines, they need Crayola-18 vaccines and/or Rabie shots.

We've learned a lot during this past 4 year Crayola-18 Virus, including just how deep the bottom of our barrel in the U.S. is.

I'm not sure what Biden and the new Senate will do to address this after the source of the Crayola-18 Virus is dragged kicking and screaming across the White House Lawn. I imagine they'll shift their focus to Covid-19.

6. User who gave Like to post:

Smiles (August 5th, 2020)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by aot871 View Post
    IF we carry on with out a vacine into early 2021 and therefore a lack of tourists what percentage of bars do you think will remain ?
    All but a handful will disappear without foreign tourists as there simply are not enough expats to keep them going however, surely in certain areas there will be a few that cater to Thais.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

8. User who gave Like to post:

Zebedee (August 3rd, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

nah...trump virus has been incubating foir the last 30 years...slowly building up...stoked by bat shit crazy leftie policies that ignore common sense...

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    All but a handful will disappear without foreign tourists as there simply are not enough expats to keep them going however, surely in certain areas there will be a few that cater to Thais.
    I agree with you, MFAS. It's unlikely that are many "two-week millionaires" among the many expats/retirees living in Thailand now. To sustain a robust gay scene you alas need a free-spending, I'm leaving for home tomorrow, devil be damned mindset which hands out red baht notes as if they are water and conserves tan baht notes only slightly more tenaciously. Green baht notes will not keep the scene alive for long.

Once the scene does shrink back to its pre-1980's size, perhaps it will grow back once again in a far more rational way. In Pattaya now it appears SP is already dead, BT is flailing about, and JC is barely being kept alive.

What does "rational way" mean? I hope it means far less influence from the mafia and the corrupt police (one and the same?) and far more protection offered to the staff.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Marc K View Post
    I agree with you, MFAS. It's unlikely that are many "two-week millionaires" among the many expats/retirees living in Thailand now.
    This is logical.
    If someone only gets 2 weeks holiday in Thailand, it's fairly logical that they will be prepared to spend at a much faster rate than someone living there for 52 weeks.

In the past, when I've been to more expensive Asian countries on business, I would be perfectly happy to spend almost 5000 baht on an hour's "entertainment". After all, if my company has paid for flights, hotels etc and I can only travel into the gay part of the city for 2 days at the weekend, my overall spend for the week is very modest.

If I were spending 4 weeks in the city on holiday, that spend rate becomes more problematic. Even more so for 52 weeks.

So of course the more expensive bars will require some free spending tourists to keep turnover up.

12. 2 Users gave Like to post:

dab69 (August 3rd, 2020), gerefan2 (August 3rd, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Marc K View Post

What does "rational way" mean? I hope it means far less influence from the mafia and the corrupt police (one and the same?) and far more protection offered to the staff.
    Actually (as I find myself struggling for the right words), returning the control of the night-life scene back to the Boys-in-Brown (BIB) and their underworld counterparts is exactly what will make the wheels turn again. Before the military took over, it was these forces (as much as we don't favor them) that actually provided the protection to the bar owners and sex workers which has been the bedrock of the sex industry in Thailand for many decades, if not longer.

The BIB provided the conduit for the flow of tea money to the top...the wheels were greased...the wheels turned. Is this rational in western thinking? No. But in Thailand it's "no money - no honey...and the money has to be making it all the way to the top.

TIT

14. 2 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (August 3rd, 2020), Smiles (August 6th, 2020)

Liked

16. User who gave Like to post:

goji (August 3rd, 2020)