Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: History of Soi Twilight

Liked

Re: History of Soi Twilight

The following venues were open some time between 2013 and 2017 (from memory).
    At the end of that soi (West of Wall Street Tower) was a massage place where you went upstairs.
    On the right (West) side of that soi was a gogo bar Heart Beat Club that didn't last long.
    In the basement of Wall Street Building was a bar (gogo or host?) that didn't last long. I went once or twice, but when I was refused to have a look inside and told to order a drink before entering, I left.

2. User who gave Like to post:

Armando (February 21st, 2021)

Liked

Heart Beat Club - that's the one!

Thanks, Christian. Always reliable!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    Heart Beat Club - that's the one!

Thanks, Christian. Always reliable!
    Bingo! Heartbeat Club. Thanks Christian.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    I only visited the bar once and if I recall correctly, I was taken there by that ex-gogo boy who had a book written about him. He accosted me on the street outside the Kasikorn Bank near Soi Twilight. We crossed the road and after a very short walk ended up in the soi where the bar was.

I assume that you are talking about Chai Pinit, who wrote Bangkok Boy. It is a good book and anyone who wants an insight into the lives of the bar boys in Bangkok and Pattaya may want to take a look at it. The publishers have added a rather dramatic sub-title; the reviews on Amazon are more balanced.

https://www.maverickhouse.com/books/bangkok-boy/

https://www.maverickhouse.com/wp-con.../ChaiPinit.jpg

BB Book.jpg

It is also available on Amazon and all the other usual places in both hard copy and soft copy.

Pinit later ran a bar beer on Soi Twilight.

https://foodsexandart.files.wordpres...870.jpg?w=1400

On a tangential note, talking about bars that have remained in the same location throughout, the A Go-Go bar that has been in a single location for the longest time anywhere in Thailand is Safari on Patpong 1, which is also Thailand’s oldest operating A Go-Go bar, having opened in the mid-70s and is still run by Khun Ning. It’s a shadow of what it once was, but the interior hasn’t changed in decades, so it definitely worth visiting when the opportunity arises.

The oldest A Go-Go in Pattaya is the Tahitian Queen on Beach Road, which has been in the same location since it opened in 1978. It announced its closure late last year, under the impact of the Coronavirus pandemic, but was rescued after an online fundraiser by its fans. Whether it will survive the continued travel restrictions remains to be seen.
    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and then beat you with experience.

6. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (February 28th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Bangkok Boy is certainly an interesting book. It's a long time since I read it but I recall that It seemed like a composite of more than one guy's Bangkok story, so varied and sometimes contradictory are the experiences.
    Anyone who knows Soi Twilight will be fascinated.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by JayToff View Post
    The oldest A Go-Go in Pattaya is the Tahitian Queen on Beach Road, which has been in the same location since it opened in 1978. It announced its closure late last year, under the impact of the Coronavirus pandemic, but was rescued after an online fundraiser by its fans. Whether it will survive the continued travel restrictions remains to be seen.
    I remember seeing the Tahitian Queen bar on Beach Road the first time I visited Pattaya in the early 1980's. The sign on Beach Road still looks the same today as it did 40 years ago.

The property is owned by the Patpong family, and is leased to the bar operators. Yes, that's the same Patpong family from Bangkok that owns Patpong 1 + 2.

Liked

I am not going to BUY the book...wonder if somewhere it is printed to read freely?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Blueskytoday View Post
    I am not going to BUY the book...wonder if somewhere it is printed to read freely?
    Perhaps it's available at your local library?
    Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I met Chai Pinit in his ? beer bar in Soi Twilight several years ago, actually I think someone else owned the bar and he was there simply trying to cadge drinks from fairing more just perhaps ? Either way he went to great lengths to tell me he had written this book ( which was it seems actually ghost written by a farang writer on the request of a farang publisher who figured the "story" might sell books I guess). So after he pointed out the book up on the shelf in the bar ( perhaps trying to sell me a copy ?) I so I just politely congratulated him on his literary success and left it at that.

Later when back home in the UK I bought the book and whilst it was interesting I guess I seem to recall that it certainly didn't paint us Farang in a particularly good light (funny that eh, I cant think why !? . But I do remember thinking to myself that I wished I'd read the book whilst still in Thailand as I might not have been just so congratulatory to him after me reading some of his ( the ghost writers?) comments and thoughts and stories about farang ( some of which no doubt were true though no doubt ).

I do remember that a few of the other bar boys I met and mentioned him / the book too hadn't very much nice to say about the guy. They all knew of him and his book and weren't it seems that happy with him for "writing" a book at all ( he wasn't very complimentary about some Thai's too from what I recall? ) and they also felt that he was perhaps giving away some details of their trade that would have been better kept private for fear it might hurt their trade / other Thai people may look down on them ( even more) than they (already) did.

But also I seem to recall that with the other Thai boys he just wasn't very well liked for other reasons and their main view was more that he was just full of shit ( or whatever the Thai expression for that may have been!).

So, whilst I've no doubt that much of the book is probably true and Im sure more sex workers could relate similar horror stories and I'm sure the guy did have had a hard life ( as had many guys there do without feeling the need to bare their soul to a farang publisher) the Thai bar boys reminded me that he DID get paid for telling his / A story to a farang ghost writer / Publisher - and we all are already well versed I'm sure on just how talented Thai boys can be when it comes to telling / embellishing a story when they feel the need to for "whatever" reason !

Liked

the Thai bar boys reminded me that he DID get paid
    He told me the publisher had ripped him off and he only got a pittance from the book. Apparently that's why he still had to work.

TIT. Who knows what the truth is?

Somewhere in between, I expect.