Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Japan. Fundoshi festival.

Liked

Re: Japan. Fundoshi festival.

Claustrophobia would be a huge problem if you had to catch public transport during rush hour in Japan.

But you'd be surprised how much fun you can have on the trains during that time! Lots of stray hands and full-on groping. Probably the same would occur among the guys in the photos above, but I have never experienced it at the festivals.

I have also never participated in such large festivals but if I did, I would be hovering around the edges where I'd probably be trying my "hardest" to accidentally brush up against everyone.

It would be a sin to let such an opportunity to begging!

Liked

This is my preferred for of Fundoshi - no skirt to spoil the view.

3. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Moses (June 17th, 2020), seenus (July 12th, 2020), splinter1949 (June 16th, 2020)

Liked

As you can see in the second photo above, Fundoshi are also worn by "taiko" drummers.

The following video gets interesting at around 2:40 so fast-forward if you can't wait.

https://www.kodo.or.jp/en/performanc..._kodo_en/18577

Concerts featuring mass drumming are sometimes performed in Japan; think 50 or more hot, fit guys in Fundoshi banging away right in front of you. Incredible!

And here's how to put it on. The guy describes it as "swimwear" but it's just traditional underwear,although I guess you could swim in it.

https://youtu.be/HqnYmNgHeEg

Last edited by a447; June 17th, 2020 at 16:13.

5. User who gave Like to post:

goji (June 17th, 2020)

Liked

There are quite a few Fundoshi videos on You Tube.

Liked

Yes, when I lived in Japan there were unwritten (written?) rules making it difficult to get a job if you have tattoos. That was a long time ago but things change verrrrry slowly in Japan. Weirdly I lived in Fukuoka for 3 years but always travelled home (or somewhere else) during June to August! I need to get there for this festival next time.

Liked

Some bathhouses have signs stating that people with tattoos are not allowed to enter.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    Some bathhouses have signs stating that people with tattoos are not allowed to enter.
    I believe that foreigners with tattoos get given tape to cover up the tattoo in Japan.

Fine by me, as I'm very much anti-tattoo & find them distasteful.
    No doubt it will shortly become non-PC to hold such views in the west, if not already so. Doesn't change my opinion.

Liked

I'm not a big fan of tatoos either, although the full-body tatoos that the yakuza love to display can be considered works of art. That is why yakuza are big fans of the Fundoshi, as it allows them to show off their colourful creations.

When I was growing up, yakuza were relatively visible compared to today's Japan - a Mercedes Benz with blacked out windows, driving around the night entertainment districts, was a fairly common sight.

I was very close friends (and still am) with a guy who started up a bar in a place called Koenji, not far from Shinjuku. And on many occasions we'd be all sitting there having a drink and in would walk the local yakuza to collect his monthly tea money.

My family also had a run-in with them in our first condo - they were living next door and causing all kinds of trouble. Soon after we moved into the safety of a company owned condo.

And in Ikebukuro, a large suburb of Tokyo, wannabe yakuza called "chimpira" were a common sight on the streets. Being a member of any kind of Japanese group meant, of course, that you had to have a certain distinctive "look." Theirs was ridiculously crinkly permed hair (!) and traditional wooden footwear called "geta."

Liked

Fundoshi are a more pleasant topic:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fundoshi

Liked

Found this while browsing earlier today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. 2 Users gave Like to post:

siscu58 (July 19th, 2020), Zebedee (July 18th, 2020)