Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Thailand Mulls Over Reopening May Put Hold On Brits

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Thailand Mulls Over Reopening May Put Hold On Brits

Yes, indeed. Your success would inspire the rest of us.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Up2U View Post
    I travel home for the Xmas holiday in mid-December returning just before the New Year. I hope international flights can resume as normal along with typical airline pricing. I know a Kiwi and a few Aussies and they will be the lucky one's I expect, but as an American I don't like my traveling odds.
    It's early days yet, Up2U, and I wouldn't give up hope. I think the odds of those with any form of long-term visa being able to return to Thailand sometime this year are pretty good. In Singapore, we are ready to welcome our international students after the 27th of July. I'm now a mentor for the Thai study abroad program that I was in in 2017 and our students scheduled to start at Thai universities in August 2020, when the Thai academic year traditionally starts, have not been advised otherwise (but it's still wait-and-see for now).

The Thai authorities are not ignorant and they're certainly not without heart. They're well aware that those on marriage and retirement visas have made a huge financial and emotional investment in Thailand. My friend, who's a fellow Singaporean and works here, hasn't seen his Thai wife and one-year-old son in six months and they miss each other terribly. So you're not alone. But this Covid-19 thing is new to everyone and the Thai government, like all other governments, needs to make sure that their citizens and people already in the country are safe and that it will be able to cope with a surge of infections coming from abroad.

So don't despair, Up2U. I understand that Christmas and family reunions are very important to you and a lot of other people. Hopefully you will have better news come September.

3. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Up2U (June 19th, 2020), Zebedee (June 18th, 2020)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by sglad View Post
    The Thai authorities are not ignorant and they're certainly not without heart. They're well aware that those on marriage and retirement visas have made a huge financial and emotional investment in Thailand.
    not just over the last few months but over the last few years, it has become increasingly difficult to keep convincing oneself of this - though a common response is don't confuse incompetence with intent!
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

You'd think it wouldn't have been beyond the authorities to allow in husbands and home owners etc, even if they'd imposed a mandatory 2 week quarantine etc that would have been acceptable to most i'm sure rather than be split apart from their wife and child for 6 months, feels very heartless for a Country that prides itself on being so gentle and caring ( at least on the face of it)

6. User who gave Like to post:

goji (June 18th, 2020)

Liked

I'm sure I seen something come through my inbox from ThaiVisa saying Thailand is going to allow married foreigners back in starting right away here? Can't seem to find it though.

Yeah, this whole KoVid-19 thing is rough on lots of people. I have an Aussie client who lives in both Australia and China, and has a Chinese wife and daughter. They were heading back to China, decided to spend a week in Bangkok back in March, and are still stuck there now without any way to get into China since he's Aussie, and no way to get into Australia right now since wife and kid are Chinese.

He was just biding his time hoping to get back to China soon, then Beijing went into lockdown again just recently, so out the window any hope of that went.
    n

Liked

There's a huge concern within the Communist Party of a second wave of the virus.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    There's a huge concern within the Communist Party of a second wave of the virus.
    A second and more deadly wave isn't so much a concern as it is a 100% guaranteed inevitability. All you have to do is listen to some well respected epidemiologists, then look down at what's going on in the southern hemisphere. South America and Africa are getting absolutely hammered by KoVid-19 right now, which tells you with certainty it's coming back up north once the weather cools off again.

It's just this time it'll most likely come back with a vengeance, simply because there will be more of the virus, since it had ~6 months to replicate and grow while it was hanging out down south.

Sucks for me, as I was really hoping to finally get out of here. After 2.5 years of hard work and sacrifice, finally doing good again, ready to head out, and... Kovid. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and be able to sneak into Vientiane end of August before everything goes back into lock down again.

And Trump's holding rallies... what a dip shit.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    South America and Afria are getting absolutely hammered by KovVid-19 right now, which tells you with certainty it's coming back up north once the weather cools off again..
    ?? Why is it colder than the UK and Europe in Africa right now or something, I doubt it ?

Liked

I don't know, I'm a software dude, not a doctor. Influenza based viruses are seasonal, which is why the flu season always happens at the same time every year, during the winter. Right now it's winter in the southern hempisphere, hence why they're getting hammered so badly. I guess drones are picking up video of mass graves all over the place in Brazil.

Go Youtube this stuff. It's all over the place with some of the most respected epidemiologists in the world.

If you're in the northern hemisphere, you have until end of Aug or beginning of Sept to enjoy yourself a bit. After that, it's back to strict lockdown for a while. Well, if you want to survive that is. Then hopefully come summer of 2021 we can finally relax, and if we get really lucky maybe KoVid-19 will disappear into the history books.

Just look at what happened with the Spanish Flu. Sping 1918 wasn't too bad, seemed to go away in the summer, then fall 2018 was absolutely devastating. Wouldn't get too comfortable in thinking Kovid-19 is over, because according to epidemilogists, the worst is still yet to come.

Liked

"All you have to do is listen to some well respected epidemiologists,"

Impossible. I don't know any epidemiologists, respected or otherwise. And anyway, I'd rather listen to my primal urges, they're more fun.