Thread: Thailand Mulls Over Reopening May Put Hold On Brits

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Thailand Mulls Over Reopening May Put Hold On Brits

Not a problem.

I don’t think there are any of us now planning to come to Thailand in July. Airlines haven’t even started and nobody would want to pay good money until we know EVERYTHING is back to normal.

The big worry will be later in the year for high season. Hopefully, even the UK will be over the worst by then...maybe

3. 2 Users gave Like to post:

GerBear1958 (June 11th, 2020), poshglasgow (June 13th, 2020)

Liked

Even if Thailand start opening its borders I doubt tourists will jump on the first available flight to BKK if vaccination or medication for the virus won't be available most will prefer to stay home.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

...most will prefer to stay home where people are dropping like flies!

6. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (June 1st, 2020), Oliver2 (June 1st, 2020)

Liked

From my interpretation, Thailand is likely to reopen tourism to countries with a low incidence rate of Covid.

I presume the author of the article mentioned excluding Brits as he has some particular interest (e.g. he might be one of us).

Reopening tourism to countries with a low incidence rate of Covid is an obvious move. It's just common sense. Thailand needs the tourism revenue and if they allow people in from countries with low infection rates, the risk is minimal. For example, Taiwan, South Korea, Australia & China (if they trust the figures).

For now, it would make sense to exclude parts of Europe, North & South America.

However, IF current trends continue, by the time some of us want to travel to Thailand, the list of permitted countries should increase significantly. That's because of declining covid infection rates & probable subdued tourism demand from the first group of countries where Thailand does permit inbound travel.
    Whilst there will be pent up tourism demand amongst some of us, overall I think it will take a little time for travel to recover to earlier levels. Partly down to fear and partly down to Covid restrictions.

8. User who gave Like to post:

GerBear1958 (June 2nd, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

..pent up tourism demand...ol...is that an euphanism??

10. User who gave Like to post:

dab69 (June 1st, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post

I presume the author of the article mentioned excluding Brits as he has some particular interest (e.g. he might be one of us).
    More likely the appalling Pattaya News ....just another red top. So treat the comment with caution.

Liked

There's still the problem of the insurance requirement coupled with every insurance company refusing to insure against the virus.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

That’s a good point, how is that going to play out if and when Thai authorities ( and many other Countries) INSIST you now have full travel / medical insurance cover before they’ll admit you.

BUT on the other hand no issuer it seems is going to include Covid cover in their policies. So, if that’s the case who’s going to blink first there and give in on that point I wonder ?

Or will we simply perhaps be required to state that we’ll all personally underwrite all and any possible medical bills Re that ourselves and perhaps have to provide proof of means that would enable us to do so up to a set amount perhaps - and more importantly IF that were to be the case WOULD YOU sign up for that even !?

As it’s a bit like flying with no insurance now I guess in that it’s all fine and dandy until something serious happens and the next thing you know you’re having to sell your house to cover the possible medical evac flight costs etc possibly required to get you home !

14. User who gave Like to post:

GerBear1958 (June 2nd, 2020)

Liked

I'm really looking forward to going back to LOS but 3 conditions must be met first.

1. the ability to leave and return home. At the moment our state border is closed to travellers, including fellow Aussies. There are still flights bringing Aussies home from overseas but they have to stay in a hotel here for 2 weeks. So even if there were planes flying to overseas destinations (there aren't any) I'd have to endure those 2 weeks of isolation on my return. And in any case, the state premier says he's in no haste to open the borders and that will be the last thing on his list.

2. the ability to get insurance against the virus. As others have pointed out, that isn't going to happen. Maybe something will be worked out if a cure/vaccine is discovered.

3. entertainment venues open on the ground in LOS. The entertainment we enjoyed in the past will return, but in what form? Will it offer an acceptabke alternative to what we had before the virus?

16. 2 Users gave Like to post:

catawampuscat (June 2nd, 2020), GerBear1958 (June 2nd, 2020)