Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The China virus: calling a spade a spade

Forum's veteran
    Liked

The China virus: calling a spade a spade

Like a lot of people, I'm very upset by the death and devastation this virus is causing all over the world. I have elderly grandparents for whom this virus could spell death. More than that, I'm angry, angry at China and its people for their craving for exotic meats sold in filthy wet markets which, incidentally, are being re-opened.

Today, a few friends and I told off this mainland Chinese girl in one of our social media chat groups for hoarding and selling surgical masks she had imported from China here in Sg. She had at least a thousand of these masks which are meant for frontline healthcare providers and shouldn't be sold to the lay public at all. She was selling them at $5 a piece, which is about 116Bt at today's rates. She knew she couldn't sell them through the usual platforms like Lazada because she would get caught as hoarding and selling masks at exorbitant prices is an offence. The girl, a uni student here, went ballistic when we tried to explain to her what she was doing was wrong and started calling us names. This is typical behaviour for them; try pointing out their selfish behaviour or lack of etiquette, and they will petulantly unleash a torrent of verbal abuse on us in OUR country. And she's doing her masters on scholarship provided by OUR government.

I just can't believe their selfishness and arrogance and it took a lot of self restraint not to respond in kind to her. This kind of behaviour from the mainlanders is nothing new to us but I thought they would at least show some kind of contrition, or humility perhaps, knowing that this virus originated from their country. Instead, she attempted to profit from it!

I'm Chinese and we are the overwhelming majority here but my friends and I find that we have very little in common with the mainlanders. Many of them are rude, selfish, loud, arrogant and very entitled. They act like THEY are doing us a favour by coming here.

Sorry for whinging. Anyway, I'd like to share with you this vid by Bill Maher. Really worth watching and thinking about.

PS Moderators, please help to embed this video. Thanks.
    Last edited by Jellybean; April 14th, 2020 at 02:48. Reason: Video corrected

2. 5 Users gave Like to post:

Khor tose (April 15th, 2020), llz (April 22nd, 2020), Micky (April 14th, 2020), poshglasgow (April 14th, 2020), Smiles (April 17th, 2020)

Liked

Re: The China virus: calling a spade a spade

China is like a lone turtle swimming in a sea of fish. Every now and then it sticks its head out. It tries to get on with the fish and the fish try to get on with it. But after a while it becomes obvious that the turtle and the fish don't like each other and are just too different. Then the turtle retreats once again into its shell.

Liked

I've always been a big fan of Bill Maher and his witty, no-nonsense take on things. His views on the Chinese wet markets are, as usual, right on the money. Thanks for posting the link.

Liked

If you're looking for someone to blame, the great dictator in Beijing should be held responsible.

He's created the repressive system which suppressed all news of this virus until it was too late to nip it in the bud. The doctor who tried to warn about this was disciplined by the police.

That's also the same regime which should legislate against these wet markets.

Finally, it's the same regime that's currently censoring all medical research into the sources of the outbreak and according to some sources, is fiddling the data on Covid in China. I certainly wouldn't trust a regime which will not allow itself to be scrutinized by independent media: https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/...press-freedom/

I do NOT see these problems as being due to any inherent cultural behaviour in China. People can be educated and culture evolves. You only have to look at Taiwan, where people from the same origin have achieved vastly superior results with a vastly superior government.

Incidentally, Taiwan is not permitted to join the WHO, due to political pressure from Beijing. The WHO is another organisation full of spineless, useless self serving people. Look at all the bad advice they have dished out in 2020 so far.

6. User who gave Like to post:

llz (April 22nd, 2020)

Liked

Goji wrote.
    "I do NOT see these problems as being due to any inherent cultural behaviour in China."

It is exactly inherent cultural behaviour. It is cultural behaviour that is this desire to eat every wild creature and allows the guy chopping up meat in the supermarket to pick his nose and spit on the floor. It is culture and it is disgusting and it has destroyed your life Goji.

And the behaviour described above is Chinese cultural behaviour lite. Not even in first gear.

8. User who gave Like to post:

llz (April 22nd, 2020)

Liked

Thank you for posting this video...and thanks to Bill for speaking out so articulately. Let's just call a spade a spade.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by snotface View Post
    I've always been a big fan of Bill Maher and his witty, no-nonsense take on things. His views on the Chinese wet markets are, as usual, right on the money. Thanks for posting the link.
    You're welcome.

Here's another fine example of how the people of the Middle Kingdom have given their hosts the middle finger.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/i...r-curfew-video

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    And the behaviour described above is Chinese cultural behaviour lite.
    Cultural behaviour, yes.
    Inherent cultural behaviour ? Well, no.
    When you have people of greater China origin in Taiwan, Singapore or Malaysia, the behaviour is markedly different.
    When the people experience a few decades of decent leadership, standards can be improved.
    So I don't think it's an inherent problem, but it's one that can be coached out. The leadership in Beijing need to step up to the plate.

As for responsibility, well I hold the leadership in Beijing responsible. This virus could have been nipped in the bud and controlled in Hubei province, but Mr Jinping created the system which suppressed all reports of the virus before it could be stopped.

So calling it the Jinping virus would be fair.

Then, instead of recommending quarantine for all outbound travellers from China, the WHO were saying that's counterproductive and recommending travel was free of restrictions. So there was no barrier to it travelling around the world. Only AFTER the Jingping virus is in every country, do the WHO recommend quarantine. Instead of inconveniencing a few hundred thousand Chinese travellers, their policies have lead to a few billion in quarantine and over a hundred thousand deaths.

After such gross incompetence, sending the WHO directors to a firing squad would almost be too good for them.

Liked

moved to "Everything Else"
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

Liked

I consider myself very liberal, but it is pure political correctness that condemns not calling it The Chinese virus, as that is clearly what it is. Mahler is absolutely correct and he is taking heat for it. It is this type of PC that stains the democrats and in powers the conservatives. I would propose that the US should end all trade with China over this, and start making our own stuff again in the Western world.

14. User who gave Like to post:

llz (April 22nd, 2020)