Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vaccine development: COVID-19 vs HIV/AIDS

Liked

Re: Vaccine development: COVID-19 vs HIV/AIDS

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    oh and most of the rest of the (straight) world dont actually give a flying fuck about finding a cure for HIV probably anyway as it's still seen as a "gay" disease, there is always that too I guess...... :-(
    Hey Nirish, Actually this was the theme of the OP. If an effective COVID virus does materialize in a shortened (12-18?) month development period, then we will know once and for all just how much the world concentrated (or didn't concentrate) on developing an HIV vaccine.

2. User who gave Like to post:

Nirish guy (April 13th, 2020)

Liked

Since a vaccine has been found for HepC, I have wondered why no HIV vaccine. Like HepC the HIV virus can hide in the body and so far cannot be eliminated (they say) but so does HepC and herpes. HIV does not mutate. Read here for why it is hard to vaccinate for HIV. https://www.healthline.com/health/hi...w-close-are-we. You can have a vaccine for flu, but flu changes every year and a vaccine that worked for one year will not work again.

A flu vaccine is needed every season for two reasons. First, a person’s immune protection from vaccination declines over time, so an annual vaccine is needed for optimal protection. Second, because flu viruses are constantly changing, flu vaccines may be updated from one season to the next to protect against the viruses that research suggests may be most common during the upcoming flu season. For the best protection, everyone 6 months and older should get vaccinated annually.
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/keyfacts.htm

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Khor Tose:

from your own link:

https://www.healthline.com/health/hi...w-close-are-we

8. The HIV virus mutates quickly

A vaccine targets a virus in a particular form. If the virus changes, the vaccine may not work on it anymore. HIV mutates quickly, so it’s hard to create a vaccine to work against it.

5. User who gave Like to post:

Surfcrest (April 15th, 2020)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by dab69 View Post
    Isn't it 95 degrees daily in Thailand now?
    Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    Exactly...95 degrees ....and they have had 30 odd deaths.
    In the UK it is barely 70 degrees and we have had over 10,000 deaths.
    Similar population.
    I think we need to look a bit further than simplistic things like temperature
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by dab69 View Post
    Khor Tose:

from your own link:

https://www.healthline.com/health/hi...w-close-are-we

8. The HIV virus mutates quickly

A vaccine targets a virus in a particular form. If the virus changes, the vaccine may not work on it anymore. HIV mutates quickly, so it’s hard to create a vaccine to work against it.
    I stand corrected, my info I based that on IS out of date. Thank you.

8. 2 Users gave Like to post:

dab69 (April 16th, 2020), sglad (April 14th, 2020)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Marc K View Post
    If an effective COVID virus does materialize in a shortened (12-18?) month development period, then we will know once and for all just how much the world concentrated (or didn't concentrate) on developing an HIV vaccine.
    No.
    The viruses are completely different, so any development of a COVID-19 vaccine will tell us absolutely nothing about how much the world concentrated on a vaccine for HIV.

As for temperature, I understand other Coronaviruses also spread in hot weather (e.g. MERS).

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Khor tose View Post
    Since a vaccine has been found for HepC, I have wondered why no HIV vaccine.https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/keyfacts.htm

Add to the list the HPV vaccine [Gardasil] which also has multiple strains (16 known strains I believe, and up to 100 substrains) but still the vaccine appears to be >99% effective. So where is the HIV vaccine?

https://www.webmd.com/sexual-conditi...e-hpv-vaccines

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Marc K View Post
    Add to the list the HPV vaccine [Gardasil] which also has multiple strains (16 known strains I believe, and up to 100 substrains) but still the vaccine appears to be >99% effective. So where is the HIV vaccine?

https://www.webmd.com/sexual-conditi...e-hpv-vaccines
    your linked article answers part of the question - HPV vaccines don't protect against all of the 100-plus types of HPV but are nearly 100% effective in preventing disease caused by high-risk strains of HPV -- HPV 16 and 18 which account for 70% of all cervical cancers, as well as many cancers of the vagina and vulva!

the situation with HIV is much more complex - Wikipedia is perhaps a reasonably accessible starting point to understand why but a Google search reveals many more resources to explain the problems
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

Liked

There are some people posting here who really should do just a little reading about vaccines and viruses before demanding answers.

You cannot reasonably complain that we don't have a HIV vaccine, just because we have vaccines for a small number of the HPV strains or MIGHT have a vaccine for Covid 19. The viruses are all completely different.

We also don't have a vaccine for the common cold.

To expect a vaccine for every virus, is rather like demanding we put a man on the sun and every other damn planet or sun in the solar system, just because we once put a man on the moon.

13. 4 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (April 16th, 2020), Andaman! (April 15th, 2020), Smiles (April 15th, 2020), Surfcrest (April 15th, 2020)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Khor tose View Post
    You can have a vaccine for flu, but flu changes every year and a vaccine that worked for one year will not work again.

.. Second, because flu viruses are constantly changing, flu vaccines may be updated from one season to the next to protect against the viruses that research suggests may be most common during the upcoming flu season. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/keyfacts.htm

I'm not a virologist but not sure this is quite accurate. There are a number of recurring, prominent strains of flu viruses (16?) And each season the folks who must decide (guess) which strain(s) are likely to dominate during the next flu season. Sometimes they are right on, and other times far off base. As I understand it, this winter they were far off base.

So yes the flu changes each year as it becomes a new mixture of strains in different intensities. At least that's how I understand it.