List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Quick questions guys - which airline to bkk - Emirates, Lufthansa. Etihad or Qatar !?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quick questions guys - which airline to bkk - Emirates, Lufthansa. Etihad or Qatar !?

So, after much deliberation and listening to the advice of others who know better ( thank A447 etc) after much consideration( i.e tossing a coin basically) I've taken the mature and adult decision to drop the Japan part of my trip and just extend my time in Thailand ( as going nowhere whilst my BF was away in the Philippines for a month is just SO not happening virus or not ! :-)

So, I rang Emirates who I've already my ticket booked with and yes they'll kindly let me amend my ticket for a further £90 only - HOWEVER it then dawned on my that hang on, I paid around £800 for that ticket a while back now, so that's nearly £900 cost, whereas thanks to whats going on I see flights on numerous airlines have now dropped and the same flight ( even from emirates!) is now around £400 !!! Emirates confirmed that but said there's nothing they can or will do about that so screw that !! I can cancel my entire ticket for a cost of around £100 and rebook with anyone I chose them which is of course what I'm going to to now.

So, whilst I normally fly Emirates and am happy with them etc there's a small part of my saying 'thanks for nothing guys" and as I ca book at least three other carriers at the same price and around the same flights times I might give one of them a try this time.

So a quick questions guys as I'm trying to wort this today - so my choices / preferences of airlines from Dublin to Bkk - Emirates, Lufthansa. Etihad or Qatar !? So, anyone have any suggestions there as to which the obvious choice should be in terms of plane / service etc ( I always heard Qatar were worth shot ??)

So, anyone any comments re that, or should I jut stick to my tried and tested - even though they were going to happily try to screw me without volunteering it would be MUCH cheaper to cancel and rebook rather than amend my ticket ??? Oh one issue I'm also having is that Emirates will make a change over the phone but WONT let me cancel over the phone and refer to me their website, which has been unavailable for the last hour as according to their staff their various offices and website are very close to meltdown with the number of calls their (failing) to handle, ( according to the girl I spoke to)

Thanks in anticipation.

Liked

Re: Quick questions guys - which airline to bkk - Emirates, Lufthansa. Etihad or Qatar !?

my only suggestion would be direct flight is best, but I assume not an option from Dublin! otherwise picking your transit port probably more important then airline - though service, price, cancellation options, etc are obviously also an issue

I am currently booked BKK-Dubai-Amsterdam late May returning late June on Emirates - this is definitely my preferred route, A380 both legs both ways and like you they are my preferred option BKK-Europe - I have always found the lounges, transit and on-board service great

transiting in Dubai from either Thailand or the Netherlands does not currently present any significant logistical complications - but that may change - but Dubai is such a major hub with transit passengers from so many potentially high-risk source countries that it is a bit of a worry

the direct alternative for me is EVA BKK-Amsterdam but that is 50% more expensive and the dates I want to travel are already booked out, but at least a decent aircraft both ways, I am still considering this. Then there is always Thai to Munich on a decent aircraft then a crappy Lufthansa aircraft to Amsterdam or Thai to Paris on a reasonable aircraft then train to Amsterdam but both these options are 100% more expensive and not appealing at all anyway

I am 60+yo, and a diabetic with coronary artery disease so in a high risk group - if the virus situation declines dramatically in the Netherlands then my obvious choice is a "staycation" in Thailand, but I am already doing that after cancelling a Singapore Songkran escape next month so I hope it doesn't come to that!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Quick questions guys - which airline to bkk - Emirates, Lufthansa. Etihad or Qatar !?

Be more clear about what you want, also eco or bis?
    QR is very best for Inboard service. LH would be last on my list, BUT also look into LX=SWISS, thus via Zürich, Ive used them quite a few times lately and am quite satisfied with them, they are owned by LH. FROm BKK its a daytime flite, so check if you can still connect to home on the evening. Also look into FINNair, via HELsinki, quick and easy transit, fast flite, but onboard pretty basic (you get 1 beer/wine with the meal and really nothing more).
    Untill some 3-4 yrs ago I was freq.flyer on EY, but they have really gone downhill since.
    Also apr+may is dead-LOW season from EUR for any airline and with this current Covid/Corona thing many, many flites are cancelled on any airline. I think some of the Gulfies have even cancelled ALL their flites to BKK. Unpleasant surprises may still await you after having booked 2nd time.

Liked

I can see why some members think pong and Nirish are related.

5. User who gave Like to post:

francois (March 8th, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Related or not at least Pong replied to my post, keeping on thead and use suggestions though eh.......whereas......where's that blooming red triangle certain people seem to keen to use these days !!

* I am joking btw, nothing wrong with a bit of light hearted interjection in my book ( or on my thread at least it seems).

Oh and PS, yes Pong and I are actually full Twin brothers, I thought that would have been obvious by now ! :-)

Oh and Pong, your reply, based on not enough detail from me perhaps, was very useful thank you and from reading a few news sites this morning re how various airlines (aren't) coping, I too fear you might be quite right about "more to come" in regards to enforced airline flight cancellations etc :-(

7. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (March 6th, 2020)

Liked

I regularly fly from Dublin and I have used each of the airlines you mention Nirish.
    However I have settled on KLM via Amsterdam.
    The first hop is just over an hour, and then one long leg to BKK.
    It is usually in the lower pricing tier as well.
    I find it a better option than the gulf airlines.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Yeah I hadn't thought of an Amsterdam ( or London) flight with one long flight there after with no stop over as as has already been said Dubia could maybe not be the smartest of stop overs either these days perhaps even, I'll have to check that out.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    I regularly fly from Dublin and I have used each of the airlines you mention Nirish.
    However I have settled on KLM via Amsterdam.
    The first hop is just over an hour, and then one long leg to BKK.
    It is usually in the lower pricing tier as well.
    I find it a better option than the gulf airlines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    Yeah I hadn't thought of an Amsterdam ( or London) flight with one long flight there after with no stop over as as has already been said Dubia could maybe not be the smartest of stop overs either these days perhaps even, I'll have to check that out.
    Nirish, I have a flight booked with KLM for arrival in Thailand just after Songkran, (staying through May). KLM have already advised I can change dates with no fee any time up to mid/end May, but have to pay if base fare is higher than my original, however I booked mine some time ago and many of the base fares seem to be lower now. I always use KLM from regional Scottish airports (have for 20 years) and, like Kenny, one hour flight from all Scottish airports and 2 hour layovers in Amsterdam available. As I can use the KLM lounges as part of frequent flyer card I am ok for 2-4 hour layover.

The outward from Amsterdam to Bkk direct is usually 10.5-11 hours, which I regard as an easy/relaxing flight length. Between reading, eating, listening to music couple hours each and a 4 hour sleep, wake up an hour before landing and i'm there. I buy economy ticket then upgrade to something else. I did the business class thing for years especially when they had the 747 upper decks, but since the use of 777's I just can't justify bus class. Hundreds of £ extra basically for a meal I'd pay £20 in a restaurant. I'm 5' 8" - 10st so I can get comfortable in practically any seat. I am way past the bus class status thing, I really couldn't give a shit about some false smiles, interaction and fuss from staff, also I used to find equally/more obnoxious/ignorant/selfish pax in Bus Class anyway.

Yes, can take some precautions when travelling, but its gonna be a case of luck and %'s with who you come into contact with, no matter Europe or far east/Thailand. I'm not as worried about actually catching the virus (% wise) as I am being caught up in some kind of quarantine lock-down either abroad when arriving (and therefore having my holiday in a Thai hospital while there) or on my way back. So It's just a case of keeping in touch with developments.

Good luck with what you decide to do.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Thanks - you and I share almost exactly the same view on Business Class re cost v "experience" and being at the time of life of that not impressing us so much any longer, I'd much rather blow that money in a bar ( or get blown with that money perhaps being an even better choice !). If only I could match you on the 10 stone part then I'd really be happy !

I am going to check out KLM now as you're right that 11 hour flight and your description of same is almost exactly my usual M.O also and it suits me just fine too.

My main problem now is I've gone from "being booked and settled" to just about to unbook and am totally unsettled again and now that I'm seeing "Songkran cancelled" etc etc I'm actually wondering why I'm even putting myself through the whole thing in the first place ! The original point of my trip was to head to Japan, now it seems I'm jumping through hoops all over again planning wise for a week or two in Bkk and Patts and THAT is always very debatable now as to whether it's even worth the bother :-( But thanks for the info above all the same, it's very useful

* Edit - Just checked and for me KLM from Belfast to Bkk via Ams.....34hrs 15 mins ! - and even worse on the way back.....I think i'll have to pass on that one I fear. Dublin of course being the solution there should I chose to go that way, which then thankfully opens up nearly all airline choices again to me and brings KLM down to a nice respectable 14hrs and something - hence my original question as to who we're all happiest with these days,

12. User who gave Like to post:

goji (March 7th, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Try traveltrolley.co.uk
    They have flights from Belfast to Bkk via LHR...18 hours. Downside is it’s BA all the way.

Alternatively make your own flight arrangement to Heathrow to catch any of the three departures direct to Thailand. They all leave at about the same time...21.30 and are direct non stop. BA, Eva and Thai.

14. User who gave Like to post:

Nirish guy (March 7th, 2020)